Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Club at HKG

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Same unhelpful service at the front desk, where they could not decide whether my flight was boarding or not, even though the status on the board was changed from "On time" to "Boarding". The announcement for boarding was amounted to a person walking around with a sign - maybe they do not have a PA system?
I agree that HKG staff is pretty useless. Same issue I had when flying out. Once I forgot my charging cable and asked them which shop nearest the lounge would sell an Micro USB Cable for my Note, they said "they don't know." How the heck does the 5 people sitting there not know anywhere in the airport that would sell an USB cable. Luckily I went downstairs and found an shop in seconds that had one!
Old May 29, 2016, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by cesco.g
At times I enjoy the steamed dimsum items at SQ & TG lounges. Not sure,
UA lounges have/had them.
They had it in the UA lounge, also had turnip cake, they rotate their stuff quite a bit, no same dish sitting in the warmer all morning or all afternoon.

Originally Posted by PTahCha

So there were no structural changes. There were a few new serviceware and lots of new chairs. Same unhelpful service at the front desk, where they could not decide whether my flight was boarding or not, even though the status on the board was changed from "On time" to "Boarding". The announcement for boarding was amounted to a person walking around with a sign - maybe they do not have a PA system?
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
I agree that HKG staff is pretty useless. Same issue I had when flying out. Once I forgot my charging cable and asked them which shop nearest the lounge would sell an Micro USB Cable for my Note, they said "they don't know." How the heck does the 5 people sitting there not know anywhere in the airport that would sell an USB cable. Luckily I went downstairs and found an shop in seconds that had one!

Some of the people who work at the front desk are actually from PP not UA, and PP is the one who operated the UA lounge in HKG for quite some time now, same with the next door TG lounge, and it is very obvious they both offer very similar items especially in the F side cook-to-order menus. (it will still have 1 or 2 real UA agents at the front desk during the UA flight hours, you can identify by their uniforms as it is different) You may think UA is cheap and outsource their lounge, well, even all CX lounges in HKG had just recently changed to PP as well.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 29, 2016 at 10:53 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 29, 2016, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Thanks for the photos. Glad to see the Wine Glasses survived the refresh. They make a nice home for a Gin and Tonic. Funny thing though, you would have to go around the corner by the sushi station to the fridge there to get the tonic.. I normally start off at SQ for a shower and meal if connecting into HKG on some ANA flight, then use the UA Club as a quick stop for my Gin and Tonic pre boarding.. Lounge looks nice. Thanks and Safe Travels
Old May 29, 2016, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Has there been any changes to the Global First Lounge as well? It got a facelift and new furniture not too long ago and looks like the club got the same.
Old May 31, 2016, 7:40 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Some of the people who work at the front desk are actually from PP not UA, and PP is the one who operated the UA lounge in HKG for quite some time now, same with the next door TG lounge, and it is very obvious they both offer very similar items especially in the F side cook-to-order menus. (it will still have 1 or 2 real UA agents at the front desk during the UA flight hours, you can identify by their uniforms as it is different) You may think UA is cheap and outsource their lounge, well, even all CX lounges in HKG had just recently changed to PP as well.
In this particular case, all of the front desk folks were non-employees - they were not wearing UA uniforms.
Old May 31, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Quite similar to what CO used to do with its BF lounge at CDG-2A (old Salon Concorde) in the pre-*A days. I also wonder if the Asuka Lounge at KIX is under a similar arrangement, as it is more-or-less a RCC.... at one point, UA had 4-5 daily WB departures from KIX.

If contracted service the only way for UA to economically provide the amenity (with hours beyond the UA schedule), then fine by me. It's becoming that model in the USA with Sodexo, anyway!
Old May 31, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by EWR764
Quite similar to what CO used to do with its BF lounge at CDG-2A (old Salon Concorde) in the pre-*A days. I also wonder if the Asuka Lounge at KIX is under a similar arrangement, as it is more-or-less a RCC.... at one point, UA had 4-5 daily WB departures from KIX.

If contracted service the only way for UA to economically provide the amenity (with hours beyond the UA schedule), then fine by me. It's becoming that model in the USA with Sodexo, anyway!
GS rep did hunt me down in Asuka lounge at KIX, at least.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
I'm in the slightly renovated club now. If I didn't know it had been renovated, I'd be hard pressed to tell. Bathrooms still in poor shape, a few new chairs, but nothing amazing, new food layout which is nicer, same wretched wine. The big problem can't be changed with a modest renovation. The lounge is open at the upper lever of the terminal and gets pretty hot

I shouda stayed an extra 30mins in the SQ lounge. It's dark, but cool.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by dulcamara
I'm in the slightly renovated club now. If I didn't know it had been renovated, I'd be hard pressed to tell. Bathrooms still in poor shape, a few new chairs, but nothing amazing, new food layout which is nicer, same wretched wine. The big problem can't be changed with a modest renovation. The lounge is open at the upper lever of the terminal and gets pretty hot

Dulcamara, what's wrong with the bathrooms? Was just in there again Friday night and they were open and I had no problems. Staff told me all chairs were replaced, could be true by the looks of it.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 10:32 pm

I checked it out in the evening and didn't think it was anything to note. I did notice that the ice cream cups fridge was empty but fridge is still there.

Seems like some UA flights are out of the 500 gates now? Made the SQ lounge much more convienient than the UA one.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
UA 179 HKG-SGN "usually" has been ex-Gate 500-something, but the return UA 180 sometimes/often lands at Gate 40-something, thus making connections to US-bound flights a lot more convenient (as was our experience about a week ago).
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by BH62
UA 179 HKG-SGN "usually" has been ex-Gate 500-something, but the return UA 180 sometimes/often lands at Gate 40-something, thus making connections to US-bound flights a lot more convenient (as was our experience about a week ago).
Minor datapoint -- UA180 arrived in the 500's on 6/3......
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 2mm
I'm UA 1K, AMEX Platinum and have UA club membership. Can I get into the SQ lounge at HKG if I'm traveling in BIZ on UA?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by misdirected baggage
I'm UA 1K, AMEX Platinum and have UA club membership. Can I get into the SQ lounge at HKG if I'm traveling in BIZ on UA?
Yes, because you are Star Gold as a 1K.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 2:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by dulcamara

What's wrong with Rex Goliath wines?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.