Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Club at HKG

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
At the moment it's closed, HKG is quite pleasant right now, huge airport operating at maybe 25% capacity. No lines for anything, plenty of seating.
Unfortunately, HKG has been operating at capacity for a few months now.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Bringing this thread back from the dead. Flying DEN-SFO-HKG-BKK in June with the last leg on Thai. It looks like Thai closed their HKG lounge. Assuming the flights do actually get resumed, does anyone have any inside info if the UA Club would re-open at the same time? I only have a 2 hour layover, so not the end of the world if no lounge access, but SQ hasn't reopened theirs yet despite actually flying there now.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM *G
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Bringing this thread back from the dead. Flying DEN-SFO-HKG-BKK in June with the last leg on Thai. It looks like Thai closed their HKG lounge. Assuming the flights do actually get resumed, does anyone have any inside info if the UA Club would re-open at the same time? I only have a 2 hour layover, so not the end of the world if no lounge access, but SQ hasn't reopened theirs yet despite actually flying there now.
Just the Plaza Lounges were open last month at HKG. The airport is quieter than normal with many retail shops and restaurants closed.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by SF_DUKE
Just the Plaza Lounges were open last month at HKG. The airport is quieter than normal with many retail shops and restaurants closed.
Well, I flew through PTY a couple months back and there wasn't a single restaurant open other than Nathan's hot dogs, so I'm guessing it at least won't be that bad. I am just hoping that the UC's resumption will correlate with UA flights returning.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Using NRT as a data point: the United Club is still closed despite UA has operated multiple flights for over a year between US and Tokyo.

New contractors need to be found as some have gone out of business during Covid, and the facility needs to go through maintenance procedures etc. I fly SQ and NH out of HK frequently and have been using Plaza Premium Lounge. The lounge is packed because most of the airlines lounges have remained closed
SPN Lifer and goodeats21 like this.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Dec 19, 2022 at 12:48 am
Old Dec 8, 2022, 3:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Bringing this thread back from the dead. Flying DEN-SFO-HKG-BKK in June with the last leg on Thai. It looks like Thai closed their HKG lounge. Assuming the flights do actually get resumed, does anyone have any inside info if the UA Club would re-open at the same time? .....
UA is not going to have an UC for 1 flight (SFO-HKG) a day. At this point given the declining UA focus on HKG, it doubtful you will see a HKG UC.
SPN Lifer and ll22949 like this.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA is not going to have an UC for 1 flight (SFO-HKG) a day. At this point given the declining UA focus on HKG, it doubtful you will see a HKG UC.
+1. Can see Star Alliance developing a joint use lounge if/when Star moves over to the new terminal complex, which had been scheduled to open in 2024.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 7:12 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Yes a *A lounge would be a good alternative.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by oopl
Yes a *A lounge would be a good alternative.
Except that *A in HKG is virtually non existent.... SIN is the focus for *A as it should be -- HKG is no longer a viable business our tourist destination in any way...
Old Jan 27, 2023, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
HKG UC

I snapped these two pictures before boarding a CX flight to Hangzhou on January 19, 2023. The UC is still in its sad state. 😂

The entry door

The seats are totally wrapped in plastics.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not just UA, SQ, TG and most of other airlines lounges remain closed.

It will be interesting how *A carriers decide to operate lounges in HK once more traffic is ready to support a fully functional lounge.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Two people I know flew NH HKG-HND in J and were invited to Plaza Premium.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Not just UA, SQ, TG and most of other airlines lounges remain closed.

It will be interesting how *A carriers decide to operate lounges in HK once more traffic is ready to support a fully functional lounge.
Actually, I tried very hard to find the TG lounge there, but did not find it. Is it totally gone?
Old Jan 27, 2023, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Actually, I tried very hard to find the TG lounge there, but did not find it. Is it totally gone?
It is closed. The sign is also gone and that space remained closed, but TG furniture seems to still remain in place.

I flew BR, LX, NH, SQ recently out of HKG, and have been using the Plaza Premium Lounge near gate 5 or the one opposite the UA/Emirate Lounge (pending on my departure gate). Both Plaza Premium Lounges have been full all the time I have visited.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jan 27, 2023 at 6:47 pm
Old Jan 27, 2023, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
I snapped these two pictures before boarding a CX flight to Hangzhou on January 19, 2023. The UC is still in its sad state. 😂
img
The entry door
img
The seats are totally wrapped in plastics.
These photos make me quite sad with nostalgia. Thanks for sharing still. Wish we could expect a day soon when this would all be as it was!
MatthewLAX and tcdtcd like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.