Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checkin baggage quantity "Embargo" -- Why?, What routes?, When? [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2017, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For the present baggage embargos check UA's Excess baggage embargo
Print Wikipost

Checkin baggage quantity "Embargo" -- Why?, What routes?, When? [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Baggage embargoes are typically set by the airline. The term "embargo" is industry standard, although I agree that it is confusing terminology.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 5:37 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
LIM normally has a restricted embargo year round on most airlines. I'm not sure of the reason as I've personally never flown their, but know quite a few who have. They've run into this on multiple airlines. There's a couple other airports in S America that have year round embargoes. Check the international CoC and it should be listed.

Edit Upon looking UA does indeed have a year round embargo on flights to LIM, just like DL, AA, US.
LIM ALWAYS has weight issues on that lim-iah flight on the 67. A retired 67 pilot that I waited (you know that group, the anxious looking type in business casual) with was amazed "that sea level to sea level on a 6 hour flight there would be concerns over weight". Apparently there were "4 pallets of asparagus" according to the gate agent when he said we cannot board despite 20 or so open seats. I guess it's cargo heavy.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Embargoes at this time of year in VFR markets are usually set because the expectation is passengers will be traveling with more bags than usual due to the holidays (bringing presents/goods back to family, etc.). Instead of selectively offloading bags on an ad-hoc basis, which is a problem to stations with only a handful of daily flights and lots of bags on those too, all pax are subject to bag restrictions.

The other consideration is that there is more belly freight traffic around the holidays, so there are a lot of parcels competing for limited space below decks.

Originally Posted by cur
LIM ALWAYS has weight issues on that lim-iah flight on the 67. A retired 67 pilot that I waited (you know that group, the anxious looking type in business casual) with was amazed "that sea level to sea level on a 6 hour flight there would be concerns over weight". Apparently there were "4 pallets of asparagus" according to the gate agent when he said we cannot board despite 20 or so open seats. I guess it's cargo heavy.
That is indeed the reason LIM was one of the first 'cross-fleeting' widebody routes post-merger. LIM generates a significant volume of high-value perishable cargo.

Last edited by EWR764; Dec 13, 2016 at 8:18 am
Old Dec 13, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Related question

I am 1k. I used miles to book for my daughter( different last name). I am not flying with her. Can she check in up to 3 bags under 70 lbs for free? TIA
Old Dec 13, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jimdarcy
I am 1k. I used miles to book for my daughter( different last name). I am not flying with her. Can she check in up to 3 bags under 70 lbs for free? TIA
Sorry, but no. Inherited status benefits on award tickets booked by 1Ks went away with an IT enhancement more than one year ago.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by transportprof
Sorry, but no. Inherited status benefits on award tickets booked by 1Ks went away with an IT enhancement more than one year ago.
Ok thanks
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:30 am

Baggage fees for Central America

I searched but didn't find anything, sorry if this is duplicate.

When did UA start charging for the 1st bag to Central America? I last went there on UA about 2 years ago and don't remember paying anything. Interestingly it's saying that there are no fees for the return trip.

I haven't been able to find any kind of table showing what the fees are now, just an automated tool, so I can't confirm this anywhere else.

Edit: Just found that there is an embargo at SAL for the 1st checked bag, but only to SAL, not from.

Edit 2: Does this language indicate to anyone else that all bags are allowed to weigh 99.9 pounds each?

"Customers traveling to, from or through the following city may bring two standard bags weighing up to 99.9 pounds but are not permitted excess baggage or oversized baggage.
  • San Salvador, El Salvador (SAL)"

Last edited by vkng; Dec 22, 2017 at 8:38 am
Old Dec 22, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Not sure when they started to charge, or if they do. I have never had to pay attention. The 2nd part of your question: I would think that means 2 bags can weigh in at 99lbs each (keep in mind that anything over 50 is charged an overweight fee) but that is it. More more bags. Period -payed or not. There are always an embargo on luggage to Central America, more so at holiday time. One of the most amusing sights I have ever seen is a check in line at TACA/Avianca for the flights to CA. The things people take home with them.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 4:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vkng
Edit 2: Does this language indicate to anyone else that all bags are allowed to weigh 99.9 pounds each?

"Customers traveling to, from or through the following city may bring two standard bags weighing up to 99.9 pounds but are not permitted excess baggage or oversized baggage.
  • San Salvador, El Salvador (SAL)"
UA further states
From June 20, 2017, to August 9, 2017, as well as December 8, 2017, to December 24, 2017, customers will be charged $25 for a first checked bag permitted to the following destinations:
  • San Salvador, El Salvador (SAL)
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
New luggage fees

Did anybody else receive the email about change in luggage fees? It has my existing reservations and there is no change as it is determined by booking date.

However, I am unable to work out what is changing after Janury 15, 2020. It says to use the luggage calculator but of course everything has been booked before January 15, 2020.

Anybody know what is changing for 1K members and Gold members.?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Did anybody else receive the email about change in luggage fees? ...
Can you cut and paste the content or provide an image?

What route?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
I suspect it was a mass e mail as it didn't say which flight I should be concerned about as I have 4 domestic flights booked over the time period. Additionally, the "Learn More" link was broken (seriously, come on UA!). I think it is just holiday travel spam to warn infrequent travelers not to pack 7 overstuffed suitcases to grandma. A bit surprised they didn't just target non elites. Text of the e mail follows:

Hi ______,

We're reaching out to let you know there are some limitations to checking oversized, overweight and extra bags on your upcoming flight. These limitations are based on the destination and travel between November 15, 2019, and January 15, 2020, and it looks like your flight falls within one (or both) of those categories.

For your upcoming trip, please use the link below to see specific details about these limitations. You can also check your reservation for more information about your allowance for checked bags, our size requirements and carry-on policy.

Last edited by dkc715; Nov 25, 2019 at 2:53 pm
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by dkc715
We're reaching out to let you know there are some limitations to checking oversized, overweight and extra bags on your upcoming flight. These limitations are based on the destination and travel between November 15, 2019, and January 15, 2020, and it looks like your flight falls within one (or both) of those categories.....
That sounds like the standard annual holiday baggage embargo for certain locations on excess and overweight bags.

Direct UA link UA's Excess baggage embargo

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 25, 2019 at 5:06 pm Reason: cleanup after merge
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I received it as well. Take home for me - no surf boards allowed on my New Year's flight to Costa Rica.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Baggage restrictions/charges are changing (email)

Today I get an odd email from United that simply says:

Hi RM,

We're reaching out to let you know there are some limitations to checking oversized, overweight and extra bags. These limitations are based on the destination and date of travel, and it looks like you visited one of these destinations within the past year.

If you plan to travel now through January 15, 2020, we encourage you to use our baggage calculator to figure out any service charges for your bags.

There's a link that says "Learn More" underneath that. I click the link and it goes to qa7.united.com so I think someone didn't mean to send this email out or forgot to change the link. That URL also requires a username/password to enter the site.

Anyone else get this email? Can anyone see any changes to the baggage policy? Wherever/whatever the changes might be they seem to only be temporary until Jan 20, 2020. I also have zero clue what destination they are talking about as I've been to so many places already this year.

So a heads up that it seems some baggage changes/restrictions are coming...at least temporarily.

-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.