Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Domestic 3-cabin flights (PS & others?) sold as 2-cabin flights; who gets up front?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic 3-cabin flights (PS & others?) sold as 2-cabin flights; who gets up front?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
So, what's the verdict on how to proceed?

In my case, EWRORD on a 763. Cheap Y ticket. GS status. Don't want to spend GPU, and RPUs are gone. Upsell offer currently $260, which I'm not interested in.

Should I hope for the customary bump to J <5 days, and then perhaps being nudged again to F closer in? Or does one increase their chances of F if they first use a GPU or cash to get into J?

Frankly, I'd pay the $260 to get into F, but not J.

Jamie
The marketing bump from J>F is exclusively on PS flights. All other domestic flights operated with 3 class birds J>F are handled like CPU. Which means for EWR-ORD with a 3 class, if you buy Y, best you can do is end up in J (no double upgrades).
Old Jun 17, 2016, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by jmanirish
The marketing bump from J>F is exclusively on PS flights. All other domestic flights operated with 3 class birds J>F are handled like CPU. Which means for EWR-ORD with a 3 class, if you buy Y, best you can do is end up in J (no double upgrades).
I appreciate the colour. I should look into the cash difference between my fare and J, though I suspect it is considerable. For such a short flight, it really isn't THAT important. But I like knowing how things work.

All the best, Jamie
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; AA EXP; UA 1K
Upgrade on domestic 3-class 777 sold as 2?

So, officially I'm gonna fly a 777 plane on a domestic route for the first time. I know this 3-class aircraft is booked as 2-class in this case, just like AA does.

However, when I try to check my chance of upgrade, I was confused to see two upgrade list called "first" and "business". I was booked in coach, and my name shows up as #4 on the biz list, however not on the first list.

As for now, the stats are:
First upgrade list: Capacity 48, booked 41, checked in 6; 17 awaiting on the list.
Biz upgrade list: Capacity 0, booked full, checked in 34; 35 awaiting on the list (#4 for me).

I have no idea why there are two lists and in what order upgrade will clear. I called 1K line and the representative didn't know what's going on either. If anyone has similar experience I will greatly appreciate it!
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UltraSean
So, officially I'm gonna fly a 777 plane on a domestic route for the first time. I know this 3-class aircraft is booked as 2-class in this case, just like AA does. ....
is this EWR<>SFO or LAX?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
is this EWR<>SFO or LAX?
It's SFO-ORD
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UltraSean
It's SFO-ORD
Sure it is being sold as 2-class? Generally only the EWR<>SFO/LAX are handled that way and the other routes are true 3-class.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:42 pm

Sure it is being sold as 2-class? Generally only the EWR<>SFO/LAX are handled that way and the rest are true 3-class.
The biz inventory shows zero (however there's a distinct list), which makes me believe it is. The phone rep also said that.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Are you on tomorrow's UA 794? Currently scheduled equipment is a 744, but it is still in at least part of the system as a 2-class 77H. Looks like it was a last-minute swap so there's no telling exactly what will happen.

Under normal circumstances, you should be eligible for a CPU from Y to J and then sit in the Business cabin.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Just wanted to provide a datapoint to help others. Booked on one of the 3 class 772s LAX-EWR a few days out in Z. Got bumped to the GF seats at T-71 hours (along with two others). Not sure if there are set sweeps or if somebody is manually doing this. No email from UA but had set an EF seat alert for my assigned seat, and confirmed on my reservation that I'm now in GF.
Pretty happy because if I didn't get the bump, was going to move to a different PS bird where I wasn't in the middle of a 4 across.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 12:14 pm

Thumbs down Decreasing IAD-SFO transcon flights?

Sigh. Happened to sign in and look at our October trip, had a notice that we had a 10 minute schedule change. When I looked, it's now domestic first instead of the 3 class. Looks like they are down to the 1/day flight for the IAD-SFO flight? I checked a few other random days, and they seem to have only the 5:30 flight.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mile-a-holic
Sigh. Happened to sign in and look at our October trip, had a notice that we had a 10 minute schedule change. When I looked, it's now domestic first instead of the 3 class. Looks like they are down to the 1/day flight for the IAD-SFO flight? I checked a few other random days, and they seem to have only the 5:30 flight.
This started in July. If you are doing SFO-IAD-XXX and if XXX is served out of EWR, IME it is relatively easy to get changed to SFO-EWR-XXX if you were in BF/GF .
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:45 pm

This started in July. If you are doing SFO-IAD-XXX and if XXX is served out of EWR, IME it is relatively easy to get changed to SFO-EWR-XXX if you were in BF/GF .
Thanks WineCountryUA. Any thoughts on GF vs. the PS? I'm a bit indecisive on this so this could be the deciding factor. If we moved to the 5:30 pm, that means it's direct, and I don't have to take the day off. If I go with EWR morning connection, we can have the day in SF but it's a connection and a day off. The third option, of course, is domestic first direct flight in the morning. Can't win with this trip - booked this after AA messed up our 3 class.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Mile-a-holic
Thanks WineCountryUA. Any thoughts on GF vs. the PS? I'm a bit indecisive on this so this could be the deciding factor. If we moved to the 5:30 pm, that means it's direct, and I don't have to take the day off. If I go with EWR morning connection, we can have the day in SF but it's a connection and a day off. The third option, of course, is domestic first direct flight in the morning. Can't win with this trip - booked this after AA messed up our 3 class.
If you're flying nonstop WAS-SFO, I don't think the connection is worth it. If the schedule matters, stick with you domestic config. For experience, the GF seat is going to be a much more comfortable ride than p.s. (especially if you end up on an E45 to EWR). The p.s. flights offer an "enhanced" soft product over the usual domestic F service, but it's not that much. You also tend to get better service on the international planes anyway since it's usually shipping with an int'l-trained crew.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by findark
If you're flying nonstop WAS-SFO, I don't think the connection is worth it. If the schedule matters, stick with you domestic config. For experience, the GF seat is going to be a much more comfortable ride than p.s. (especially if you end up on an E45 to EWR). The p.s. flights offer an "enhanced" soft product over the usual domestic F service, but it's not that much. You also tend to get better service on the international planes anyway since it's usually shipping with an int'l-trained crew.
The only thing that would ever induce me to add a connection to my trip would be avoiding economy. BF versus GF never worth the extra time and potential headaches.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:30 am

Smile

Originally Posted by physioprof
The only thing that would ever induce me to add a connection to my trip would be avoiding economy. BF versus GF never worth the extra time and potential headaches.
Thanks findark and physioprof. I avoid connections whenever possible, but this is a special trip and had the lay flat as part of the plan. For some reason my brain wasn't processing the business class as lay flat. The wonderful phone agent spent a lot of time getting them to open a saver spot on the later flight. Love the help I always find here!

Last edited by Mile-a-holic; Aug 31, 2016 at 9:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.