Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

First Time Flyer Questions: LAX - IAD - VIE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Time Flyer Questions: LAX - IAD - VIE

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2016, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Red face First Time Flyer Questions: LAX - IAD - VIE

LAX to IAD to VIE Questions

Frist off, hello…

Second, I am a first time flyer…

Third, my flight will be from LAX to IAD to VIE…

Now my questions, some might be incredibly silly but it’s my first time flying…

1. I might be checking a bag at LAX… Do I need to pick it up at baggage at IAD and recheck it in again? Or does the checked bag go straight from LAX to VIE?

2. If I land at IAD on time, I have a 2 hour overlay… Is that enough time to get from terminal C to B? I notice I will need to take a tram to get from one point to the other.

3. Once I land at IAD, do I need to get my carryon examined and weigh again once I find my way to terminal B?

4. Once I land at IAD, do I need to check in again at the airline counter? Or once I check-in at LAX I don’t need to check-in again?

5. Once I land at VIE, do I need to go through customs? What information should I have ready for them?

6. If I book a non-refundable flight and I am late, I understand how I would have to rebook and it's money lost but... If my flight is canceled/delayed and it's the airlines fault, will they re-book me with little to no charges? Or will I have to pay full again?

Thank you
Michelle

Last edited by AStarOnMars; Apr 13, 2016 at 2:27 pm
Old Apr 13, 2016, 3:12 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I am assuming that your flights are all on one ticket with the same carrier or with alliance carriers. If that is the case then:

1. No, your bag will be checked all the way through to VIE.
2. Yes, a 2-hr layover will be sufficient.
3. Not that familiar with IAD. No to the weighing carry-on part of the question. You may have to go through security again - someone more familiar with IAD may be able to answer that.
4. No need to re-check in. You should be given your boarding pass for your IAD-VIE flight at LAX.
5. There are no documents to complete for customs at VIE. If you have nothing to declare, just go through the green lane (Nothing to Declare) after immigration and checked baggage collection.
6. If you are delayed and miss a connecting flight and it is the airline's fault, you will be rebooked on the next available flight at no cost to you. If it is a weather delay, the airline will probably not offer you anything with regards to meal vouchers or accommodation (if required); if it is mechanical then the airline will provide meal vouchers and, if required, accommodation.

Have a great trip!
Old Apr 13, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Michelle,

If at all possible, see if you can figure out how to travel with just a carry-on. You don't mention your airline, but usually the US major carriers allow a carry-on up to 22" x 14" x 9". You can check on your specific airline's web site to confirm the dimensions. They also let you carry a "personal item" which can be a pretty large purse-type thing. And then there are your coat pockets and even wearing some extra layers. You can also count on buying almost anything in VIE you could in the US, and more.

While you have to lug the thing around a bit, if it is a roller bag it really is pretty easy.

I'll let others answer more of your questions.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for clarifying some of my questions...

We are booking through Austrian Airlines and it states the LAX/IAD flight of our trip will be on their partner airline, United. I see Austrian has a 8kg weight limit for the carry-on. In general, will our one personal item/bag also be weighed, as well?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 4:05 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AStarOnMars
We are booking through Austrian Airlines and it states the LAX/IAD flight of our trip will be on their partner airline, United. I see Austrian has a 8kg weight limit for the carry-on. In general, will our one personal item/bag also be weighed, as well?
European airlines are usually more strict about the size of carry-ons (55 x 40 x 23cm) and increasingly the weight. They don't usually weigh your personal item but if I were you I'd pack whatever you need for the trip and check the bag. Just make sure to carry any valuables and some change of clothing with you in case the checked bag is delayed.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I found this on Austrian's web site:

In addition to your carry-on baggage you may take one personal item with a maximum size of 40 x 30 x 10 cm into the passenger cabin, e.g. one lady's handbag or one laptop bag or one shoulder-strapped bag.

I've never seen an airline weigh the personal item, BUT I've never flown on Austrian.

I'm surprised at that 8kg limitation for an international flight (IAD-VIE). I did see it on Austrian's web site though. However, I also found this:

According to US-DOT (United States Department of Transportation) and CTA (Canadian Transportation Agency) regulations, it is the first carrier stated on your ticket who defines the baggage rules applicable to the entire journey.

The above suggests United's rules would govern if United is the carrier from LAX to IAD. But then maybe your ticket is a code-share and Austrian is the carrier for that leg also. I'm getting in over my head here. I hope you find an expert, or simply manage to stay within the most restrictive rules.

Regarding being late for a flight, look up "flat tire rule". It varies by airline, but essentially is an unwritten rule for mercy by the airline. You will take some comfort in its existence, but I wouldn't advise testing it casually.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If it's all on one ticket, rather than separate bookings, you'll be protected if flights are late or cancelled. It may be a bit inconvenient but you'll not have to pay again.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 4:29 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Romelle
I'm surprised at that 8kg limitation for an international flight (IAD-VIE). I did see it on Austrian's web site though. However, I also found this:

According to US-DOT (United States Department of Transportation) and CTA (Canadian Transportation Agency) regulations, it is the first carrier stated on your ticket who defines the baggage rules applicable to the entire journey.

The above suggests United's rules would govern if United is the carrier from LAX to IAD.
I think the rule you quote applies to checked baggage and not to carry-ons. Austrian Airlines' website also states the following:

"Your carry-on baggage may not exceed the dimensions 55 x 40 x 23 cm and the weight of 8 kg. It must be stored in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you. Please consider this when packing. At the airport, the dimensions and the weight will be checked consistently at the boarding gate at the latest."

Regarding being late for a flight, look up "flat tire rule". It varies by airline, but essentially is an unwritten rule for mercy by the airline. You will take some comfort in its existence, but I wouldn't advise testing it casually.
Again, the flat tire rule does not apply to European airlines, but if you miss a connection due to the late arrival of an incoming flight the airline will take care of you.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - This will be relatively simple. As you are on one ticket, if you check a bag at LAX, UA will check it to VIE and you will not see it again until VIE.

IAD is a simple airport for connections. It is all one terminal with multiple concourses. All are connected by Aerotrain / bus. You will arrive at Concourse C/D (which is the same long concourse) and take the Aerotrain or a bus to B and walk to your departure gate. There is no need to reclear a security checkpoint.

OS will eyeball carry-on luggage and may choose to weigh luggage which appears to be overweight. So, pay attention to both dimensions and weight when you pack because it will be a nuisance to make it to IAD and have to check things.

You won't need to check in again at IAD and you won't go anywhere near a check-in counter, but you should go to your departure gate and see that everything is in order. OS will recheck your documents, may reissue a boarding pass and it is generally an opportunity to make certain that your flight is ontime.

If by chance your inbound flight is late and you misconnect at IAD, it will be UA's responsibility to rebook you to VIE. As there are no other non-stop flights, rather than waiting a day for a non-stop flight, there are many other connections in Europe. My recommendation is to do a bit of research and to have in mind what those might be. UA will want to rebook you on either UA or LH through FRA or MUC and that may suit you. If by chance something happens with the OS flight, OS will handle rebooking.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone... My stress level has decreased with your help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.