Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA872 TPE-SFO time change

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2020, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by myperks
understand. edited my response above.

I was very surprised they went from 3x weekly to daily parts of December and then went to 5x weekly. Been following this route religiously as many in my group of friends relocating to Taipei lately and in a FB group talking about this flight (And Taipei relocation) for the past month or so.

The fight loads are very low, very much more so outbound from Taiwan. Doubtful it will go daily anytime soon. The only positive for UA is EVA air has got a lot bad local news recently so maybe a few Taiwanese will fly UA (I think more though will fly CI if the EVA Air news turns them away or just not fly)
Old Dec 29, 2020, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by inlandrev
The fight loads are very low, very much more so outbound from Taiwan. Doubtful it will go daily anytime soon. The only positive for UA is EVA air has got a lot bad local news recently so maybe a few Taiwanese will fly UA (I think more though will fly CI if the EVA Air news turns them away or just not fly)
UA was flying this route daily during COVID anyways for cargo purposes.

As for flying UA over BR/CI, UA has the best time out of SF (or any other cities for that matter) as BR and CI flights arrive at 5am ish in the morning and UA arrives after 5pm, effectively shortening quarantine period by at least 12 hours . And price wise, UA appears to be the cheapest of all 3.
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 11:40 pm

Programs: United Plat
Taiwan has applied for US Pre-clearance. (https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4084896)

TPE could be the first airport in Asia-Pacific to get a US Pre-clearance facility.

Before COVID, UA 872 in summer departed at 9:50am. It would be interesting to see how early passengers have to arrive for pre-clearance.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by sfo3388
Taiwan has applied for US Pre-clearance. (https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4084896)

TPE could be the first airport in Asia-Pacific to get a US Pre-clearance facility.

Before COVID, UA 872 in summer departed at 9:50am. It would be interesting to see how early passengers have to arrive for pre-clearance.
Given how crowded the morning is, I would probably get there by 6:50 AM. Hopefully, UA will push back the departure time once the preclearance facility is up and running.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by lsquare
Given how crowded the morning is, I would probably get there by 6:50 AM. Hopefully, UA will push back the departure time once the preclearance facility is up and running.
Pre-clearance is great: I’ve used it in DUB many times. If you have Global Entry, you sail pass the lines waiting to get to the gates.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by ContinentalFan; Dec 30, 2020 at 9:48 am
Old Dec 30, 2020, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Pre-clearance would be a huge benefit, particularly when UA872 arrives early, before SFO customs & immigration opens in the morning. 😀
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Pre-clearance is great: I’ve used it in DUB many times. If you have Global Entry, you sail pass the lines waiting to get to the gates.
I do thanks to my Nexus pass. I don't know how things will be like at TPE if their application is approved. Let's hope it'll be as nice as DUB.

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Pre-clearance would be a huge benefit, particularly when UA872 arrives early, before SFO customs & immigration opens in the morning. 😀
Oh...you're right. That didn't crossed my mind. I was just thinking about the massive crowds during the early morning hours at TPE.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 30, 2020 at 11:34 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by the same member; please use multi-quote
Old Dec 30, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Pre-clearance would benefit UA (or any other US carriers deciding to fly to TPE) more than CI/BR. I'm sure UA has a higher proportion of passengers having onward domestic connections than CI/BR. CI ONT may also benefit, since there can't be too many CBP agents handling just one intl arrival.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know how other countries do pre-clearance but seeing how Canada does it, it seems to be a major effort. How are they going to squeeze this into T2? Will it have to wait for T3?

Would it even be open in the morning (for UA and the BR LAX/SFO flights) since most of the US flights are operated by BR and CI late afternoon and late night.
lsquare and east_west like this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
It is a huge effort and a lot of protentional future ancillary revenue loss. Anyway, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a preclearance facility at TPE. A lot of airports have applied over the years, few has come out the other side of it.

If you have Global Entry, your experience would not be much different (if any) whether the airport is a preclearance facility, or the need to clear in the US upon arrival.
SPN Lifer and ithinkurdumb like this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 4:21 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Fingers crossed that if they do add pre-clearance they find a way to keep at least one decent lounge in the pre-clearance area.
restlessinRNO and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
Fingers crossed that if they do add pre-clearance they find a way to keep at least one decent lounge in the pre-clearance area.
Good point. If forced to choose, I would pick lounge selection over pre-clearance.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 8:04 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Pre-clearance would benefit UA (or any other US carriers deciding to fly to TPE) more than CI/BR. I'm sure UA has a higher proportion of passengers having onward domestic connections than CI/BR. CI ONT may also benefit, since there can't be too many CBP agents handling just one intl arrival.
Pre-clearance means longer connection time in TPE for CI/BR passengers and they will be at a disadvantage vs flights through other hubs. Most likely it would also lead to a worse ground experience as lounge/shopping/food options would be limited versus today. It is also more complex operationally for the airline as it means the planes would need to be towed between gates or there would be massive investments to reconfigure the gates that leads to both areas.

Pre-clearance also works better for Canadian airports as there are many flights on smaller planes throughout the day, versus a few flights on large planes all leaving around the same time, which means either long lines or inefficient CBP staffing.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m.y
Pre-clearance means longer connection time in TPE for CI/BR passengers and they will be at a disadvantage vs flights through other hubs. Most likely it would also lead to a worse ground experience as lounge/shopping/food options would be limited versus today. It is also more complex operationally for the airline as it means the planes would need to be towed between gates or there would be massive investments to reconfigure the gates that leads to both areas.

Pre-clearance also works better for Canadian airports as there are many flights on smaller planes throughout the day, versus a few flights on large planes all leaving around the same time, which means either long lines or inefficient CBP staffing.
With regards to lounges, I find that the lounges in the Canadian terminals of US-bound flights tend to be worse than in the international terminals. For example, AC's lounge at YVR International is better than AC's lounge in the terminal for US flights.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think a lot of this is just wishful thinking for now - there is no space.

9:50 is even too early for me so I certainly would not want to be at TPE earlier than that to do pre-clearance.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.