Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA872 TPE-SFO time change

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2016, 7:37 pm

Flight will arrive at 6:50a as opposed to 6:30a in August.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Flight will arrive at 6:50a as opposed to 6:30a in August.
Looks like departure time from TPE is the same though
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, what I heard was:

1 - SFO immigration would start opening earlier late March - I guess 6:30 instead of 7:30 is still not early enough http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ation-sfo.html

2 - the regular UA crew was not happy about not having this route - some FAs are regulars on this route and one said in desperation "maybe I will have to do domestic"

I definitely hope they move the TPE departure later but I am guessing the problem is less about crew and more about aircraft utilization and onward connection?

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
Without a Taiwan passport, immigration could take anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes.
On the subject of that, TW and US just signed something that, when implemented, will let ROC passport holders apply for Global Entry and will let US passport holders apply for eGate. eGate is really cool:

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 11, 2016 at 1:16 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Cool!

Too bad there is no premium security line at TPE though. That + eGate would be sweet.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 12:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
Check out the Speedy Immigration Section for fast assess to Taiwan's immigration counter. You apply online and print out the certificate. This still doesn't solve the security queue problem. Hopefully the number of Chinese tourists further decline so international tourists can enjoy their visit better.

1. Foreign frequent visitors, employees of mainland Chinese non-profit institutions and airline companies, or reporters stationed in Taiwan who visited R.O.C. at least 3 times in the past 12 months can apply to National Immigration Agency via the internet for approval to use speedy inspection counter to clear immigration.

2. Approved holders are eligible to use Speedy Immigration Counter designated by National Immigration Agency (NIA) at international airports and seaports. NIA may ask approved holders to proceed to other counters for the purpose of clearing passport inspection.

3. Please print this certificate and submit it along with your valid passport and Arrival Card for immigration inspection. Hong Kong and Macau, mainland chinese residents and visitors NOT coming from visa exemption countries are required to apply Entry and Exit Permit or visa before entry.

4. This certificate does not confer holder any right of entry to or exit from R.O.C.(Taiwan).Holder’s entry to or exit from R.O.C.(Taiwan) is governed by the Immigration Act and related regulations.

5. This certificate shall be used only by the holder himself, and valids for one year.

6. Please reapply when a new passport is issued.

7. The competent authorities reserve the right to refuse issue or revoke this approval.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 2:42 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Thank you all above for the info on check-in / immigration times above.

I just stepped off the flight this morning (April 11) and my experience was:

-- Arrived at TPE T2 8:20am
-- Checked in Premier desk 5 min later
-- Security took approx. 10 min, quite fast
-- Immigration / passport control almost no line

So I was through in less than 15 minutes, a nice surprise as my bus was late and I was worried about the reported variability of the process.

However, we ended up boarding 30 min late because the plane had not been towed to gate on time, taking off 1 hour late (but arriving on time due to favorable winds -- 10.5 hours total flight time). I think there is some schedule padding going on...
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by TA
However, we ended up boarding 30 min late because the plane had not been towed to gate on time, taking off 1 hour late (but arriving on time due to favorable winds -- 10.5 hours total flight time). I think there is some schedule padding going on...
One wonders, why doesn't UA just make the departure time 10:50 am, instead of 9:50 am?

(I am amused to note the united.com lists the flight as "Delayed due to severe weather conditions in our route network".)
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Interesting. Probably why the now sCO 789 operated flights out of SYD leave so early versus when they were flown by sUA 777 and 747s.
I am not a fan of the earlier departures of both the LAX & SFO flights -the later afternoon departure was sleep conducive and more relaxing than the new timings. If you wanted to make the East Coast you went for the earlier flight but the afternoon departure for SFO was most appreciated by quite a few not having to fight SYD's traffic.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TA
Thank you all above for the info on check-in / immigration times above.

I just stepped off the flight this morning (April 11) and my experience was:

-- Arrived at TPE T2 8:20am
-- Checked in Premier desk 5 min later
-- Security took approx. 10 min, quite fast
-- Immigration / passport control almost no line

So I was through in less than 15 minutes, a nice surprise as my bus was late and I was worried about the reported variability of the process.

Wow, exact opposite of my experience. Glad it was better today!
Old Apr 18, 2016, 12:43 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by ryder1650
Wow, exact opposite of my experience. Glad it was better today!
I was at TPE at 730am (for UA codeshare in NH to NRT). Long lines at security, about 20 min. Check was fast, and I was upgraded to business on my NH flight TPE-NRT (as well some other UA flyers it seems).

Just a note NH business food is great for the short flight, seat just ok (UA is better), but can not complain with the free upgrade. Seems plane I was on had lots of business seats for a airplane its size (767) and check in desk (EVA staff for ANA mentioned it happens often).
Old Dec 19, 2020, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I can't believe this thread even existed. I was just going to create a thread asking this question. I took this flight last year, but I don't remember if it was a 787 or 777. Looking at 2021 UA872 flights, it'll be a 777. Which plane is actually better?

My biggest complaint about this flight is the very early arrival time at SFO! Even for east coast connections, surely it's still possible if SOF arrival time is 8 or 9 AM? I really dislike the 9:50 AM departure time at TPE. The lines were very long as the OP had stated. Even taking the first train from Taipei Main Station, I didn't get there early enough to spend some quality time at the PP lounge before the flight. I've said this before and I'll say this again, UA's tpac economy food is disgusting! Some of the worse food I've ever had in my life. I would prefer a later TPE departure time so that I can have a proper meal at the lounge and then just sleep on the flight.

Originally Posted by flyinglan
Check out the Speedy Immigration Section for fast assess to Taiwan's immigration counter. You apply online and print out the certificate. This still doesn't solve the security queue problem. Hopefully the number of Chinese tourists further decline so international tourists can enjoy their visit better.

1. Foreign frequent visitors, employees of mainland Chinese non-profit institutions and airline companies, or reporters stationed in Taiwan who visited R.O.C. at least 3 times in the past 12 months can apply to National Immigration Agency via the internet for approval to use speedy inspection counter to clear immigration.

2. Approved holders are eligible to use Speedy Immigration Counter designated by National Immigration Agency (NIA) at international airports and seaports. NIA may ask approved holders to proceed to other counters for the purpose of clearing passport inspection.

3. Please print this certificate and submit it along with your valid passport and Arrival Card for immigration inspection. Hong Kong and Macau, mainland chinese residents and visitors NOT coming from visa exemption countries are required to apply Entry and Exit Permit or visa before entry.

4. This certificate does not confer holder any right of entry to or exit from R.O.C.(Taiwan).Holder’s entry to or exit from R.O.C.(Taiwan) is governed by the Immigration Act and related regulations.

5. This certificate shall be used only by the holder himself, and valids for one year.

6. Please reapply when a new passport is issued.

7. The competent authorities reserve the right to refuse issue or revoke this approval.
Anyone here applied for this? I gotta do this the next time I'm back at TPE.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 19, 2020 at 11:38 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by the same member; please use multi-quote
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
I can't believe this thread even existed. I was just going to create a thread asking this question. I took this flight last year, but I don't remember if it was a 787 or 777. Looking at 2021 UA872 flights, it'll be a 777. Which plane is actually better?

My biggest complaint about this flight is the very early arrival time at SFO! Even for east coast connections, surely it's still possible if SOF arrival time is 8 or 9 AM? I really dislike the 9:50 AM departure time at TPE. The lines were very long as the OP had stated. Even taking the first train from Taipei Main Station, I didn't get there early enough to spend some quality time at the PP lounge before the flight. I've said this before and I'll say this again, UA's tpac economy food is disgusting! Some of the worse food I've ever had in my life. I would prefer a later TPE departure time so that I can have a proper meal at the lounge and then just sleep on the flight.
If you flew last year, it was likely a 77W. UA switched to 787 around late Feb due to the lighter demand, but have been using 77W since service resumed last month. For Y, the 787 might be better since the seats are a hair wider and the cabin altitude is lower.

The first airport train arrives TPE T2 at 6:39, which should give you plenty of time airside even if you don't have access to the e-gates (especially these days). I would recommend the food at SQ lounge over the PP if you haven't tried it before.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
If you flew last year, it was likely a 77W. UA switched to 787 around late Feb due to the lighter demand, but have been using 77W since service resumed last month. For Y, the 787 might be better since the seats are a hair wider and the cabin altitude is lower.

The first airport train arrives TPE T2 at 6:39, which should give you plenty of time airside even if you don't have access to the e-gates (especially these days). I would recommend the food at SQ lounge over the PP if you haven't tried it before.
Oh? It didn’t crossed my mind. Much better food at the SQ lounge? I would still prefer a later departure time.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:18 am

Programs: UA 2MM
lsquare - I agree. UA872 departs early and arrives very early in the day I remember the flight arriving prior to SFO immigration opening! It demands an early check-out from your hotel in Taipei.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 6:20 am

Oh? It didn’t crossed my mind. Much better food at the SQ lounge? I would still prefer a later departure time.
I love the bak kut teh at the SQ lounge, and I find it quieter than the PPs or BR *G lounges.

Doesn't UA872 depart at 11-ish in the winter months? United.com shows UA872 scheduled for 1:10pm departure.

Last edited by ithinkurdumb; Dec 19, 2020 at 6:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.