Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

why can't UA post flight miles just a couple of hours after the flight?(like Delta)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

why can't UA post flight miles just a couple of hours after the flight?(like Delta)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

I've always flown on UA. I recently took 5 Delta flights. I've not flown on Delta in many, many years.

One thing that surprised me was how quickly the miles were posted. When I flew LAX-DTW, the flight miles were posted to my Delta account while I was waiting for my connecting flight at DTW. On the other 4 flights, the miles were posted around 2 to 5 hours after the flights took off or landed.

Why can't UA do the same? Is it by design or is their IT system just outdated?
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
I've always flown on UA. I recently took 5 Delta flights. I've not flown on Delta in many, many years.

One thing that surprised me was how quickly the miles were posted. When I flew LAX-DTW, the flight miles were posted to my Delta account while I was waiting for my connecting flight at DTW. On the other 4 flights, the miles were posted around 2 to 5 hours after the flights took off or landed.

And AA miles usually post within 24 hours.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What's the rush?
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What's the rush?
Good question!

To answer the OP's question, I think you could say UA's IT is subpar, although I don't think that the example here really has anything to do with that. If I were running the shop, I wouldn't spend the money to make the miles post faster than they are. Whether it's easy or difficult to do isn't the question, there is a cost to any type of programming change. I wouldn't use a single hour of someone's time to change this.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Why can't UA do the same? ........is their IT system just outdated?

Yes, that.

Doesn't UA have enough IT problems without making SHARES talk to their FFP system faster
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
I don't think the current time frame for posting (48 hours) is unreasonable, and UA should concentrate on fixing the truly bad aspects of their IT before worrying about this issue.
Other loyalty programs take longer to post - Amtrak usually a week, and Hilton usually 72 hours, in my experience.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Delta has been this way for years. 10 years ago, my flights on DL would post to my account by the time I got to my hotel or home and logged on.

Does it matter? Questionable, but there were times I was curious what credit would be given, when I'd been rerouted. Also, yes, I think it lends confidence to IT robustness in general.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Back in the day, before the internet, one could call the UAL toll-free MP line, and the miles would usually have already posted by the time one got off the plane and into the RCC (also before cellphones).

Now it takes days?
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:56 pm

Sometimes it matters. Let's not forget that United was perfectly capable of posting miles within a few hours after completion of flights. Once all the systems went Continental, it started taking 3 days. Now it takes 2 days. I'm curious whether it's a system capability or policy problem.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Sometimes it matters. Let's not forget that United was perfectly capable of posting miles within a few hours after completion of flights. Once all the systems went Continental, it started taking 3 days. Now it takes 2 days. I'm curious whether it's a system capability or policy problem.
CO was always 2-5 days pre-merger, that probably answers your question.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
Yes, that.

Doesn't UA have enough IT problems without making SHARES talk to their FFP system faster
but UA's system takes money from my credit/debit card account really fast.
on the other hand, it also process refunds extremely quickly. I refunded
a recent UA ticket and the refund posted to my credit card account within
48 hours. (compared to normal refunds from returning stuff to local retailers
which always take 4 or 5 days)
Old Apr 5, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
but UA's system takes money from my credit/debit card account really fast.
on the other hand, it also process refunds extremely quickly. I refunded
a recent UA ticket and the refund posted to my credit card account within
48 hours. (compared to normal refunds from returning stuff to local retailers
which always take 4 or 5 days)
A lot of people would disagree that refunds are quick, although I haven't had any issues either.

And things like mile redeposits when upgrades fail seem to be pretty fast.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
In all fairness it started off taking 14 days after the switch iirc.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P

It's both - and if UA ever gets around to investing in their IT systems there are much higher priority items to work on (IMO)....
Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
My recent LH flights all posted to my MileagePlus account within 24 hours. I couldn't believe that partner flights posted faster than UA flights in its own program!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.