Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United (& American) bottom of the pile, per The Economist

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 2MM

Not sure if this is a dupe, but interesting analysis https://www.1843magazine.com/travel/...me-fly-with-me.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:09 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
interesting graphic... thanks for sharing.

Only things that jump out at me is (1) DL is said to be cheaper, which is NOT my experience. Its clearly better than UA (and most of AA) but Cheaper?

(2) Ditto the relative difference in JAL and ANA. When I have looked ANA can be cheaper, but not always, and I've seen JAL be cheaper. I certainly don't think they belong on opposite sides of the graphic.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:17 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by spin88
Only things that jump out at me is (1) DL is said to be cheaper, which is NOT my experience. Its clearly better than UA (and most of AA) but Cheaper?

(2) Ditto the relative difference in JAL and ANA. When I have looked ANA can be cheaper, but not always, and I've seen JAL be cheaper. I certainly don't think they belong on opposite sides of the graphic.
Having regularly flown both JAL and ANA it's clear that ANA is superior - but both run laps around any US airline....
Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:27 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Having regularly flown both JAL and ANA it's clear that ANA is superior - but both run laps around any US airline....
I would agree ANA is better than JAL, they are now my go to airline if I need to connect in Asia or go to Japan. My comment was more directed at pricing, but perhaps the graph is not absolute pricing, but some form of "what you get for what you pay"
Old Apr 5, 2016, 5:43 am

They looked at the 30 busiest routes and dates in August 2016 - these are leisure fares - not a holistic view.

"For prices, we took the world’s 30 busiest airports in the last quarter of 2015 (as measured by FlightStats.com), and analysed direct flights between them on week-long return trips from a sample at the start of August 2016."

Who knew Delta and Air India had similar quality.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
They looked at the 30 busiest routes and dates in August 2016 - these are leisure fares - not a holistic view.

"For prices, we took the world’s 30 busiest airports in the last quarter of 2015 (as measured by FlightStats.com), and analysed direct flights between them on week-long return trips from a sample at the start of August 2016."

Who knew Delta and Air India had similar quality.
The Price v Service looks like a legitimate graph from my experience, except for the odd placement of Air China/Air India/China Eastern above the US carriers in terms of service.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Also TK, I've often found to be by far the cheapest to Europe, and overall better than many other European based airlines.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
One thing to note is how much smaller the circle is (# of flights) for UA compared to AA & DL.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by djmp
Not sure if this is a dupe, but interesting analysis https://www.1843magazine.com/travel/...me-fly-with-me.
Their methods of data collection for this graph are completely flawed. You can't judge real prices based on far-ahead fares limited to just a few top markets, and as usual they combine it with subjective "quality" rankings. So it's virtually useless. And it doesn't match what I experience among the US3 either. Throw it in the garbage bin.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by minnyfly
Their methods of data collection for this graph are completely flawed. You can't judge real prices based on far-ahead fares limited to just a few top markets, and as usual they combine it with subjective "quality" rankings. So it's virtually useless. And it doesn't match what I experience among the US3 either. Throw it in the garbage bin.
#1) 30 markets and 870 routes is not a "few".

#2) The more pertinent fact was that there was very little price differential in those markets. Which was noted would be NOT expected in a truly competitive industry.

#3) Survey data is ALWAYS subjective, but there is no other way to measure things such as comfort, food, service, IFE, and value for money. Subjectivity doesn't flaw the results if the sample size is large enough. More suspect is the survey data collection technique. Higher quality surveys have a screening process for respondents. IE they are not randomly completed at the respondents initiation on a web-site. A survey taker, asks qualifying questions, then allows the survey to be completed. By far more expensive for each respondent, but the quality of the data is consistent, and less biased.

Skytrax lost a case in the UK where they are based: In 2012, the "reputation management" firm Kwikchex filed five complaints with the UK Advertising Standards Authority related to statements on the Skytrax web site describing the volume and reliability of their reviews as well as the official status and update frequency of their ratings. The Authority upheld all five complaints and Skytrax agreed to modify some promotional wording. Skytrax being described as a "consultancy" is erroneous to begin with. It's a website that has survey data, people fill out when they want to. The flaws with this method are numerous. But, it is not subjectivity that flaws the data.

Last edited by transportbiz; Apr 5, 2016 at 5:23 pm
Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:49 pm

I would agree ANA is better than JAL, they are now my go to airline if I need to connect in Asia or go to Japan. My comment was more directed at pricing, but perhaps the graph is not absolute pricing, but some form of "what you get for what you pay"
Hard to tell - I can tell you that originating in Tokyo I frequently find JL 10-15% more expensive than NH - which is about what the graph portrays.... BTW I find the same thing for JAL domestically - FWIW I absolutely love to fly NH within Japan - I can take a brand new 787 from Tokyo to Ube!
Old Apr 5, 2016, 4:40 pm

ANA is a mixed bag for me. Great on some aircraft, and not at all great on others. The overnight flight from NRT-SIN on the 787 with the cradle business class seats was one of the worst flights I've had in the past several years. And, the LAX or SFO-NRT on the 77W in first class were the absolute best flights I've had save for the LH LAX-FRA with the upper-deck first class on the 747 with the bed along the windows, and the separate seat. Of course these partner FC flights are a thing of the past, as there is no way in hell I'll pay 260,000 miles for them now.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by transportbiz
ANA is a mixed bag for me. Great on some aircraft, and not at all great on others. The overnight flight from NRT-SIN on the 787 with the cradle business class seats was one of the worst flights I've had in the past several years. And, the LAX or SFO-NRT on the 77W in first class were the absolute best flights I've had save for the LH LAX-FRA with the upper-deck first class on the 747 with the bed along the windows, and the separate seat. Of course these partner FC flights are a thing of the past, as there is no way in hell I'll pay 260,000 miles for them now.
I agree - the ANA "Business Cradle" is an instrument of torture for me - clearly designed for a human being with a different body shape than me lol...

ANA business staggered, however, is wonderful - and FC is amazing. AFAIK ANA only uses the horrific business cradle on their "regional" flights now - and thankfully you can get a non-cradle flight to SIN now....
Old Apr 5, 2016, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I agree - the ANA "Business Cradle" is an instrument of torture for me - clearly designed for a human being with a different body shape than me lol...

ANA business staggered, however, is wonderful - and FC is amazing. AFAIK ANA only uses the horrific business cradle on their "regional" flights now - and thankfully you can get a non-cradle flight to SIN now....
I hope my letter to them about that seat on such a long overnight flight was part of that decision to limit them to shorter haul or at least only daytime flights. It really, was horrible, for the return flight I downgraded to economy and was more comfortable.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by transportbiz
I hope my letter to them about that seat on such a long overnight flight was part of that decision to limit them to shorter haul or at least only daytime flights. It really, was horrible, for the return flight I downgraded to economy and was more comfortable.
Glad you wrote to them! I have never had my calves go numb from any other seat on any other airline - that seat is true misery to me - all the pressure points are wrong and out of alignment for my body...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.