FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1753665-how-buy-extra-seat-extraseat-paid-award-flights.html)

WheelsUpGal Nov 19, 2017 12:09 pm

I have thought about this as well . . to pay for the middle seat (of 3) for me and my niece. Makes a big difference to have that extra space. I think it's possible but not sure about the PQMs . . but then I don't really care that much. I think you have to check in with BOTH boarding passes so they don't use that empty seat. I sat in the aisle of a 3 seat on Southwest and the large man at the window had his "EXTRA SEAT" boarding pass sitting on the middle seat so I knew. Worked out great for me!

WineCountryUA Nov 19, 2017 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by george99 (Post 29077740)
...What is the UA policy on this? .... Will the airline try to use my empty seat if they need a seat for someone?

Yes UA allows the purchasing of an "EXTRASEAT" -- can not be done online, you will need to call. It is a reserved seat and can not be ignored by UA without following the procedures for any other ticket.
More details in the wiki,

You will

Originally Posted by george99 (Post 29077740)
... Do I get PQMs for this? Miles, etc?

Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal (Post 29078219)
... not sure about the PQMs . . ...

per the thread's wiki

You will get the RDMs & PQDs for the "EXTRASEAT" but no PQMs.

bocastephen Nov 19, 2017 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 29078237)
Yes UA allows the purchasing of an "EXTRASEAT" -- can not be done online, you will need to call. It is a reserved seat and can not be ignored by UA without following the procedures for any other ticket

I think it is important to point out to the OP that will need to exercise a certain amount of vigilance in defending their extra seat from poachers and either lazy or aggressive staff - for example, on an overbooked flight, the GA may try and strong-arm that extra seat away, or an FA may tell someone to sit there, ignoring the claim of the OP - sure, they will be compensated after the fact, but that is little comfort when you're about to sit for 14hrs on a long flight. Other passengers may covet the seat (less likely with a couple booking an empty middle), and you may need to get aggressive in keeping them away. Not a sure thing that trouble will happen, but the OP should still be aware and vigilant, at least until the flight is underway.

bseller Nov 19, 2017 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 29078845)
I think it is important to point out to the OP that will need to exercise a certain amount of vigilance in defending their extra seat from poachers and either lazy or aggressive staff - for example, on an overbooked flight, the GA may try and strong-arm that extra seat away, or an FA may tell someone to sit there, ignoring the claim of the OP - sure, they will be compensated after the fact, but that is little comfort when you're about to sit for 14hrs on a long flight. Other passengers may covet the seat (less likely with a couple booking an empty middle), and you may need to get aggressive in keeping them away. Not a sure thing that trouble will happen, but the OP should still be aware and vigilant, at least until the flight is underway.

VERY well stated!! Thank you!
Dave

smitopher Nov 20, 2017 3:39 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 28549626)
Suspect you will have a problem, the only proper way to book EXTRASEAT is with an agent so it is properly linked to your ticket. Your secnd ticket will be considered a "no show" and cancelled. And then the empty seat will be available for assignment to standbys.

Personally I would cancel before the 24 hour cancel free window passes.
Then call and do this properly.

I have successfully self booked EXTRASEAT online.

After reading the warnings here, I called in, twice, to verify and was met with puzzlement by the agent "Everything EXTRASEAT is already in order" EXTRASEAT was still there on connection and return. Perhaps I just got lucky.

WineCountryUA Nov 20, 2017 10:06 am

Originally Posted by smitopher (Post 29080332)
I have successfully self booked EXTRASEAT online. ....

Coud you describe the steps you took?

mmack Nov 20, 2017 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by smitopher (Post 29080332)
I have successfully self booked EXTRASEAT online.

After reading the warnings here, I called in, twice, to verify and was met with puzzlement by the agent "Everything EXTRASEAT is already in order" EXTRASEAT was still there on connection and return. Perhaps I just got lucky.

Yes, please tell . I have mixed award and paid seats, and just get two PNRs. It seems to take the 1K agents a while, but it always gets done.

Howard Dec 11, 2017 6:45 pm

In the past I've booked LASTNAME/EXTRASEAT online, but the last two times when I've booked it by phone, the agent booked it as LASTNAME/EXST. The first time it was booked this way, I was able to view the reservation online using the locator and LASTNAME. However, for the most recent reservation I made, when I try to retrieve it by locator and LASTNAME, it says this itinerary cannot be viewed online and that either the confirmation number or the last name is invalid. Of course I've double checked this information against the email confirmation, but I cannot get it to display online. Should I be worried? Everything looks OK in the email confirmation, including the seat assignments. I'm somewhat worried that I won't be able to checkin when the time comes. Note that I booked the EXST using miles, so it's in a separate locator from the primary reservation.

bocastephen Dec 23, 2017 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Howard (Post 29162736)
In the past I've booked LASTNAME/EXTRASEAT online, but the last two times when I've booked it by phone, the agent booked it as LASTNAME/EXST. The first time it was booked this way, I was able to view the reservation online using the locator and LASTNAME. However, for the most recent reservation I made, when I try to retrieve it by locator and LASTNAME, it says this itinerary cannot be viewed online and that either the confirmation number or the last name is invalid. Of course I've double checked this information against the email confirmation, but I cannot get it to display online. Should I be worried? Everything looks OK in the email confirmation, including the seat assignments. I'm somewhat worried that I won't be able to checkin when the time comes. Note that I booked the EXST using miles, so it's in a separate locator from the primary reservation.

Did you get your question resolved? I'm about to do the same thing - 6hr flight, GPU upgrade pending, so I want to book an award seat to block the middle in my exit row, but it's only for one segment of my itinerary so I believe they need to book it as a separate record, but not sure how to handle check-in, boarding passes, etc or how the seat will show as "boarded" once I board with my primary boarding pass.

mmack Dec 23, 2017 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 29208773)
Did you get your question resolved? I'm about to do the same thing - 6hr flight, GPU upgrade pending, so I want to book an award seat to block the middle in my exit row, but it's only for one segment of my itinerary so I believe they need to book it as a separate record, but not sure how to handle check-in, boarding passes, etc or how the seat will show as "boarded" once I board with my primary boarding pass.

My most recent EXTRA SEAT booking is in the record under a separate PNR: EXSTLASTNAME You should be able to see it on line, and we print a boarding pass so that there is no confusion.

bocastephen Dec 23, 2017 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by mmack (Post 29209000)
My most recent EXTRA SEAT booking is in the record under a separate PNR: EXSTLASTNAME You should be able to see it on line, and we print a boarding pass so that there is no confusion.

It took some doing, but reservations was able to make the EXTRASEAT booking for me as a separate mileage reservation for AAA-BBB only, then connect it to my revenue ticket for AAA-BBB-CCC. I can view it online correctly, but I will need to check-in both reservations, and print boarding passes for both, and scan both during boarding. I also need to watch the booking carefully because any schedule or aircraft change will scatter the seats, but I'm still hopeful the GPU upgrade will clear on the first segment, so I can cancel and redeposit the EXTASEAT mileage booking. Two second row exit row seats together will be a decent compromise if the upgrade doesn't clear.

WineCountryUA Dec 23, 2017 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 29209306)
...Two second row exit row seats together will be a decent compromise if the upgrade doesn't clear.

With the armrest fixed in exit rows, this will be "more personal space" but not "more seat space"

bocastephen Dec 23, 2017 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 29209320)
With the armrest fixed in exit rows, this will be "more personal space" but not "more seat space"

Shoot, I totally forgot about the fixed arm rests on the 738 - for some reason I thought they went up. Just to be safe, I'll move "us" further up in the E+ area, thanks for the reminder.

Howard Dec 23, 2017 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 29208773)

I still can't view the EXST reservation online, but I had an agent at the United Club print out the EXST itinerary, and everything looked OK. Like you, I did it this way because I have RPUs pending in both directions, but if they don't clear, at least I'll have the extra middle seat in E+.

ll22949 Jan 7, 2018 7:21 pm

Lifetime miles

I see in the Wiki that no PQM for the extra seat. Does anyone know if you get lifetime miles for both seats if you pay for the extra seat?