FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1753665-how-buy-extra-seat-extraseat-paid-award-flights.html)

WineCountryUA Jan 30, 2017 10:22 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 27837976)
I assume so, but just want to be sure - is the cost of the extra seat the same as the other ticket?

yes, assume the inventory exists.

Landscaper Mar 14, 2017 12:45 pm

is it possible to use UA website to book reservation for me and an extra cello seat?

is it possible to use UA website to book reservation for me and an extra cello seat? if so, what name should I enter as the 2nd passenger?(cello)

it's not my cello... belongs to a family member... just bringing it from LA to NY to get the bridge replaced and some other work. (since I'll be going to NY anyway, otherwise she was going to have it FedEx'ed, which would have cost several hundred dollars)

thankks!

Landscaper Mar 14, 2017 1:50 pm

Thanks!

Fortunately, she just told me not to bother because she needs the cello back from NY to LA within 2 weeks. So FedEx, instead of UA, now gets to profit on the $1600 roundtrip shipping cost. :) :( Before anyone jumps in and questions it... yes, apparently it's possible to get a cello bridge replaced somewhere in LA(shocking!), but she prefers the guy where she bought the cello from back in NY. Well... guess it's not so shocking, considering the cello costs more than two Bentleys.

WineCountryUA Mar 14, 2017 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Landscaper (Post 28036428)
is it possible to use UA website to book reservation for me and an extra cello seat? ...

Can only be done with an agent, the thread's wiki has the details.

Originally Posted by Landscaper (Post 28036428)
... just bringing it from LA to NY to get the bridge replaced and some other work. (since I'll be going to NY anyway, otherwise she was going to have it FedEx'ed, which would have cost several hundred dollars)....

The EXTRASEAT is not free and will cost the same as another passenger and you assume all the travel damage risk.

Believe for a large musical instrument you are restricted to certain seats. The agent will have the details.

Landscaper Mar 14, 2017 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 28036786)
The agent will have the details.

Hope it's not the same UA phone agent that I talked to a few month ago. I was unable to select my seat due to UA website issues, so I called. She asked me if I really wanted the exit aisle seat because "it's on the wing, next to the propellers of the Boeing 777..." (!!!) I asked her if she meant jet engines, but she insisted that they were propellers. I wish I had a recording of that conversation so I can post it to YouTube or something. :) Guess what, when I got on that flight, I was really sad that the Boeing 777 didn't have propellers.

(the lesson here is to always call the Premier line to reach U.S. agents)

EmailKid Mar 14, 2017 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Landscaper (Post 28036991)
She asked me if I really wanted the exit aisle seat because "it's on the wing, next to the propellers of the Boeing 777..." (!!!)

Maybe display showed Dash-8 like one of my TATL flights, while showing proper seatmap.

Originally Posted by Landscaper (Post 28036991)
(the lesson here is to always call the Premier line to reach U.S. agents)

I was under the impression that if you punch in your MP # it automatically sends you to elite line.

plasmd Jun 16, 2017 3:07 pm

Obscure question -- on routes with a cheaper child fare (my route of interest: SFO-HKG), has anyone ever attempted to assign an EXTRASEAT to the child, and at the lower fare?

bocastephen Jun 16, 2017 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by plasmd (Post 28451837)
Obscure question -- on routes with a cheaper child fare (my route of interest: SFO-HKG), has anyone ever attempted to assign an EXTRASEAT to the child, and at the lower fare?

I don't think it will work that way - the child fare is for the actual child, but to add an extra seat to that child's reservation, I am not sure how it will fare out, but my guess it will be the adult fare.

smitopher Jul 11, 2017 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by plasmd (Post 28451837)

I just booked a trip like this, TPAC.
I booked online with second passenger name as EXTRASEAT and as a child.
I then called up to check with an agent to verify if the EXTRASEAT was booked correctly.

The agent said everything looked fine.

I brought up that I booked it online and I understood that it was no longer allowed to book EXTRASEAT online, she did not seem to think that it had to be booked by an agent and not online. She continued to say everything looked good.

I did not bring up that the EXTRASEAT was booked as a child fare.

Am I in for a unfortunate surprise when I check in?

WineCountryUA Jul 11, 2017 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by smitopher (Post 28549592)
I booked online with second passenger name as EXTRASEAT and as a child.
Am I in for a unfortunate surprise when I check in?

Suspect you will have a problem, the only proper way to book EXTRASEAT is with an agent so it is properly linked to your ticket. Your secnd ticket will be considered a "no show" and cancelled. And then the empty seat will be available for assignment to standbys.

Personally I would cancel before the 24 hour cancel free window passes.
Then call and do this properly.

FLA77 Aug 19, 2017 7:17 pm

Mileage accrual for buying extra seats on United

This topic has been discussed here before, but searching the threads and reading the related posts haven't clearely answered my questions, as most of the feedback were guesses and conjecture rather than based on factual knowledge.

Here are my questions:

If I buy an extra ticket (or two) just for me, In order to have an empty seat or two next to me so I can stretch, etc., will I

- get the base miles on all tickets?
- get the PQMs on all tickets?
- get MM miles on all tickets?
- get the PQDs form all tickets?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Oh, and I don't 'need' the extra space because of size or anything like that (as I have seen references to that in other posts as basis for special handling).

xliioper Aug 19, 2017 8:13 pm

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...d-flights.html

Sorry, no PQM (and thus likely no MM credit as well) for the extra seat. But you do earn RDM and presumably PQD. Don't think you can book more than one extra seat.

WineCountryUA Aug 19, 2017 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by FLA77 (Post 28711634)
This topic has been discussed here before, but searching the threads and reading the related posts haven't clearely answered my questions, as most of the feedback were guesses and conjecture rather than based on factual knowledge.

The wiki of this thread has most of your answers.

Originally Posted by FLA77 (Post 28711634)
.... If I buy an extra ticket (or two) just for me,

You can just buy one and you have have to buy it using the EXTRASEAT process -- which only an agent can do
Buying additional seats outside of the process does not work and those reservations will be cancelled

- get the base miles on all tickets? RDMs? Yes, based on PQDs
- get the PQMs on all tickets? No, only the ticket with your name
- get MM miles on all tickets? No, only the ticket with your name
- get the PQDs form all tickets? Yes

The above answers are for a paid ticket, no mileage earning if an award ticket.

FLA77 Aug 19, 2017 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 28711776)
The wiki of this thread has most of your answers.

You can just buy one and you have have to buy it using the EXTRASEAT process -- which only an agent can do
Buying additional seats outside of the process does not work and those reservations will be cancelled

- get the base miles on all tickets? RDMs? Yes, based on PQDs
- get the PQMs on all tickets? No, only the ticket with your name
- get MM miles on all tickets? No, only the ticket with your name
- get the PQDs form all tickets? Yes

The above answers are for a paid ticket, no mileage earning if an award ticket.

Thanks

george99 Nov 19, 2017 9:41 am

UA (and others) policy on 2 tickets for same person/flight for comfort

I fly mostly with UA and a lot of international on their 777-200, and now 777-300s too.
However, recently, they converted the economy class to an absolute torture chamber including economy plus.
Instead of a 3-3-3 config, it is now 3-4-3. This is absolute insanity. I just flew EWR-NRT which is a 14 hour flight. I was in economy minus, in row 19 which is the bulkhead and give a ton of legroom. But the width of the seat has become so ridiculously small. I am 6ft/200 pounds and my right leg kept touching the audio/video/light controls and turning the lights on, stoping the movie, etc. In the 777-200 when they still had 3-3-3, I used to always try and sit in row 16 (777-300 row 19 equivalent) and it was pretty good.
It has now become unbearable.I fly a lot with my wife and kids too, and it is just out of my budget to purchase business class.
SO I was thinking about buying an extra seat just to give more room to me and my family. If I am not in a bulkhead, then the armrests go up, we can stretch out a bit, etc.
What is the UA policy on this? Do I get PQMs for this? Miles, etc? Will the airline try to use my empty seat if they need a seat for someone?