FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1753665-how-buy-extra-seat-extraseat-paid-award-flights.html)

EmailKid Mar 17, 2016 9:32 am

Originally Posted by nikolastojsin (Post 26345715)
For what is worth - 12A is 18A on some (newer) versions of this aircraft. Either way, those are the emergency exit row seats. They are usually designated Economy Plus, AFAIK.

At this point I'm pretty sure ALL 145s have been renumbered. And yes, they are considered E+

Often1 Mar 17, 2016 9:45 am

You need to call in for this.

The extra seat is coded differently on the manifest so that the gate reader isn't "looking for" the EXTRASEAT.

The GA will alert the FA and you can too. People may certainly try to sit in what appears to be an unoccupied seat, but the FA will deal with it.

GA's don't oversell flights. That is done by RM/IM.

bocastephen Mar 17, 2016 10:06 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 26345890)
At this point I'm pretty sure ALL 145s have been renumbered. And yes, they are considered E+

The OP appears to be a 1K, so they can reserve that seat for free - far cheaper, and more comfortable than two regular seats, and they will have a free snack and drink to boot.

WineCountryUA Mar 17, 2016 11:06 am

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer (Post 26344565)
........ And is it possible to pay for the 2nd seat using miles? (since i assume that the 2nd seat doesn't earn any miles anyway; but please correct me if i'm wrong). ....

Believe the 2nd seat needs to be purchased in the same manner as the original seat as this is a single PNR feature.

EsquireFlyer Mar 17, 2016 12:52 pm

Many thanks. 12A is a good idea but it's already taken on the flight I want (unless I change my departure time)..

If I continue with the double seat approach, is the price of the second seat (when using cash) just the same price as first seat? So 2x the then-current ticket price for two seats basically?

WineCountryUA Mar 17, 2016 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer (Post 26346805)
Many thanks. 12A is a good idea but it's already taken on the flight I want (unless I change my departure time)..

If I continue with the double seat approach, is the price of the second seat (when using cash) just the same price as first seat? So 2x the then-current ticket price for two seats basically?

yes (no discount) and believe you get the RDMs for both but not the PQMs.

Dawoz Jun 26, 2016 8:08 pm

Buying 2nd Seat on Long Hauls

I’m big… Not seatbelt extender big, but at 6-5 300 lbs, I often dread economy. My days of being an Offensive Lineman are over, but I’m still stuck with the body. I fly often on United (gold status) and I’m at 850K towards my million mile mark.... keeping me on United metal.

Most of my travel is domestic, but my vacation brings me to Singapore this year from SFO. A 17.3 inch economy seat (even if it is economy plus) for a 16.5 hour flight sounds horrible! While an economy seat cost me 670 bucks, business is between 6800 and 9000 (depending on the day). Sharing a empty middle seat with my wife for an additional 670 dollars seemed like a no brainer and was at least 11,000.00 cheaper than business for both of us. We will be able to stretch out and will have no problem sleeping…

My question is, why don’t I read about people doing this more often? I hear about it with passengers of size, musicians etc being required to buy an extra seat, but I can’t be alone in thinking a 670.00 RT ticket for an empty middle seat is a viable alternative to spending 13-18K for a pair of business class seats. Is this something done that just isn’t talked about? Am I missing something and in for a rude awakening?

In searching about this, there isn’t much out there. It appears Air New Zeland has caught on and is marketing the 3 seats together as a “sky couch” but that is it… it doesn’t seem the airlines have marketed seats this way.

As an airline several allow it, but only Air New Zeland appears to be marketing it.

Thoughts?

entropy Jun 26, 2016 8:15 pm

People do it, its just a pity that they don't make it clearer/easier for people to do. I frankly think if you're going to spend the extra cash, at least give the customer the extra RDM.

mahasamatman Jun 26, 2016 8:18 pm

If you can still be comfortable with Coach legroom, go for it. You're basically flying European Business Class (where the seats are just Coach with the middle seat blocked), but Ifor anyone like me, legroom is far more important than seat width.

Originally Posted by entropy (Post 26835164)
I frankly think if you're going to spend the extra cash, at least give the customer the extra RDM.

They do.

cxbonne Jun 27, 2016 3:42 am

I have booked it online with United just using the term "Extraseat" as the first name and my last name. It can cause confusion on international flights when checking in (passport details) but I have never had a problem with United honoring the extra seat booking. Some airlines like Alaska and Southwest will actually refund the extra seat ticket cost entirely if the flight has 1 other available seat on it. The best you get with United is extra redeemable miles if you call them to chase the issue up after the flight. This also only applies to segments flown on their aircraft if you make a connection. Though I have gotten credit on occasion for partner airlines also.

deltame Jun 27, 2016 9:57 am

Does anyone know if one can purchase 2 extra coach seats for long haul flights to/from Asia? I suppose that could be a poor person's quasi-first-class (lie down joyride) on the extra long haul flights.

warakorn Jun 27, 2016 10:04 am

Is there any hard evidence that UA honors a second booking.
If the flight is oversold, the seat will most likely be given away.

Bear4Asian Jun 27, 2016 10:28 am

One caution - beware of seats with tray table fixed in armrest

This sounds like a good idea to me. But be cautious about choosing your seat. The empty middle seat only makes sense to me if the armrest lifts up to give you the extra space you want. i.e. The bulkhead seats - which give you great leg room usually have the tray table (or the movie screen) built into a fixed armrest that is permanent. That also slightly reduces the seat width.

It looks like SFO-SIN is in a 787-9. You can find a helpful page on aircraft interior on United's website. Here's the one for the 787-9

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...0/default.aspx

I'd recommend if you do this, you call up and talk to a Delta rep and explain the situation. I've read about others doing the second seat thing and they should be able to help you.

Happy travels.

joseeantonior Jun 27, 2016 10:29 am

Originally Posted by warakorn (Post 26837384)
Is there any hard evidence that UA honors a second booking.
If the flight is oversold, the seat will most likely be given away.

They DO honor the booking. However, I have heard recommendations to do book over the phone, since the ticket needs to be marked "EXTRASEAT" so they don't separate you and your extra seat, or give it away as a no-show. It'd be terrible if you were on 17A and your EXTRASEAT on 20B!

bocastephen Jun 27, 2016 10:55 am

Originally Posted by joseeantonior (Post 26837486)
They DO honor the booking. However, I have heard recommendations to do book over the phone, since the ticket needs to be marked "EXTRASEAT" so they don't separate you and your extra seat, or give it away as a no-show. It'd be terrible if you were on 17A and your EXTRASEAT on 20B!

The only downside I've read over the years are instances where a nasty GA with an oversold flight will do a walk-through and put someone in the empty seat against the customer's objections - so, you need to be prepared to be aggressive in defending your ownership of that seat throughout check-in, careful observation at the gate, checking electronic boarding passes for seat changes or loss, and during boarding - and aside from that, block any attempted poaching by other passengers who might find your E+ empty middle more appealing. Of course it goes without saying, the extra seat should always be a middle or two middles, never a window or aisle.

On a really good fare long haul fare deal, it would be best for a couple to buy their own single seats and each add their own EXTRASEAT booking, then put the seat assignments so the two (widebody) middles are the empties.