Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades worse in 2016?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Upgrades worse in 2016?

I know this is a bit of a rant but come on man....how does one purchase an M fare (booked flight Sunday), flies on what is considered one of the least busiest travel days (Tuesday), travel a somewhat popular but not overly busy hub to hub route (SFO-LAS), on a 737 with descent amount of F seats, applies an RPU instrument (first segment was longer and didn't clear either), be a 1K, and still end up #18 on the upgrade list (note only 2 people cleared).
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Because people are prepared to pay for (the now cheaper) First tickets.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'm not familiar with historical frequencies SFO-LAS, but there might be a reduction in that plus average downsize in a/c maybe? Plus cheap P fares. I booked a red-eye LAS-IAH recently and was surprised to see it's a 320 after being primarily a 753 or 739 for years.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I think the pendulum on FC pricing has swung a bit too far, as the delta between F and Y fares, in many markets, is $150 or less. This is a hammer blow to elite upgrades for all but GS and the occasional high-fare 1K.

I'd be lying if I said I actually thought United domestic F in most cases is worth that kind of premium (or more) over Y, but it's clear that some people find the value proposition reasonable. I now find myself in Y about 75% of the time I do not book F, and oftentimes, a good way down the upgrade list, in markets and days/times I always cleared in the past, like EWR-Florida.

There has to be some kind of happy medium...
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by dank0014
I know this is a bit of a rant but come on man....how does one purchase an M fare (booked flight Sunday), flies on what is considered one of the least busiest travel days (Tuesday), travel a somewhat popular but not overly busy hub to hub route (SFO-LAS), on a 737 with descent amount of F seats, applies an RPU instrument (first segment was longer and didn't clear either), be a 1K, and still end up #18 on the upgrade list (note only 2 people cleared).
This happens often for me (only 1/22 segments cleared this year so far). I've tried RPU's and those never do anything. Sometimes I'm very far down the list - sometimes I'm #1 on the list. The last trip, SEA-ORD-YUL, I was #1 on SEA-ORD with maybe ~10 names cleared on the upgrade list (all of those were cleared at -24hrs with no successful upgrades after that). I still don't know how that list works - who gets these instant upgrades or what does it take? I've had that happen once or twice in the last year (where I was upgraded immediately at check-in). I guess it's fare class based? I'm always buying the cheapest tickets and I'm not complaining at all, it's juts a odd system that continually perplexes me.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWR764
I think the pendulum on FC pricing has swung a bit too far, as the delta between F and Y fares, in many markets, is $150 or less. This is a hammer blow to elite upgrades for all but GS and the occasional high-fare 1K..
Must be luck of the draw - I'm seeing the opposite, including a $749 upgrade offer for ORD-AUS!!
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
I have a suspicion this will be the norm for awhile. UA has priced Dom F that it is more "affordable" (subjective term) and with the increased PQM schema more people are buying. All you have to do is look at the milestone roll call thread to see elites achieving status thresholds faster than before.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Far too anecdotal. As my signature noted, I stopped tracking CPUs in February (was way less than 30%). However, my last four trips, I'm at 80%+.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by milepig
Must be luck of the draw - I'm seeing the opposite, including a $749 upgrade offer for ORD-AUS!!
I'm booked with a friend DEN-PIT for this weekend, same K fare booked.

He doesn't have status, his offer is $422.
My offer is $654.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Have a look for R Class seats on EWR-LAX-EWR for the next 330 days and you'll find somewhere around zero available seats.

People seem to be excusing this as the new norm (which is fine), but then you also need to ask what you want in return for the loyalty you give each airline.

Upgrades are certainly not what they used to be. They are the main perk for me, so I reward United's loyalty by flying whomever works better for me on the day.

It's amazing how often United come up on the losing end of that choice. That said, they'll still get flown enough to reach 1K
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
First off, SFO-LAS is not hub-to-hub, unless I missed something where UA turned this into a hub.

Second, I feel like LAS is a place that's either really busy (when there are conferences, etc.), or really not (if there's not). Lots of $$$ going into Vegas during busy business times, so probably a lot of F sales.

If there were only 2 upgrades, obviously, lots of people bought F. So no room for upgrades. If UA can sell those - that's good for them.

That's also, what, an hour, maybe hour and a half flight. Is it really that big a deal to sit in Y for a short flight like that?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I know this is a bit of a rant but come on man....how does one purchase an M fare (booked flight Sunday), flies on what is considered one of the least busiest travel days (Tuesday), travel a somewhat popular but not overly busy hub to hub route (SFO-LAS), on a 737 with decent amount of F seats, applies an RPU instrument (first segment was longer and didn't clear either), be a 1K, and still end up #18 on the upgrade list (note only 2 people cleared).
How many F seats are "decent"? Did you look at the buckets at the time to see how many were for sale or only at the seat map? Still.. regardless of how many were available... 1K, M fare using an instrument on a Tuesday (or any day!), SFO-LAS and you were #18!?!?...that is really amazing, and it'ss going to be an outlier in terms of the number of times that circumstance will happen to you. Clearly a lot of GS on that flight!! If it were a pure CPU...who knows. But the instrument being in there too really makes is strange.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
tech conference?? was it during HIT?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasonp622
tech conference?? was it during HIT?
IPC APEX (~8000 people) started Tuesday. Late arrivees? I would imagine a lot of Bay area attendees for that one.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emcampbe
First off, SFO-LAS is not hub-to-hub, unless I missed something where UA turned this into a hub.

Second, I feel like LAS is a place that's either really busy (when there are conferences, etc.), or really not (if there's not). Lots of $$$ going into Vegas during busy business times, so probably a lot of F sales.

If there were only 2 upgrades, obviously, lots of people bought F. So no room for upgrades. If UA can sell those - that's good for them.

That's also, what, an hour, maybe hour and a half flight. Is it really that big a deal to sit in Y for a short flight like that?
Yes sorry didn't mean hub to hub, was trying to say it's *not like* a hub to hub but is somewhat of a busy route.this is what happens when I do it all on my phone and FT makes my box so small

The first part of the line ties in to the next part of the line

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.