Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Stranded in Singapore due to OZ Irrops on UA Award ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stranded in Singapore due to OZ Irrops on UA Award ticket

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Have you tried calling OZ and simply saying, "help, I've been stranded by your contracted ground staff and nobody will help me. Will you help me get to ADL?"

If that doesn't work, try UA again. UA has no responsibility to you. But, if you can prevail on a UA agent to do a three-way call with OZ, you may get some action.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
At what point would UA not be responsible for the connection?
Exactly. At this point UA is merely the travel agency that booked the flights and the airline that issued the ticket. STAR tickets are endorse able among member airlines and doesn't matter whose stock they were issued on. As noted, IATA rules denote the responsible airline (OZ) but there is a responsibility of the onward airline to protect you on the next available routing/flight. OZ should have advised SQ of the misconnection and SQ should have proactively rebooked you even if this required a revenue seat to be released. UA/MP was only an intermediary in all this.

As for credit card insurance, not all cover awards unless the miles used were earned with that card so delay/trip interruption may not be available to the OP.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Shareholder
but there is a responsibility of the onward airline to protect you on the next available routing/flight.
Really? According to who/what?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
Here's another take-away that I got from this tale. When transiting a faraway airport late at night, try to ensure that both flights of your connection are on the carrier based at that airport.

A few years ago (when SQ was still ticketing Mileage Plus awards on-line), I was looking at an ICN-SIN-BNE trip. The first itinerary that showed up was OZ to SIN, connecting to SQ to BNE. Buried a bit farther down the page was SQ to SQ flight connection.

I opted for the SQ to SQ connection because I prefer the in-flight entertainment on SQ (and the lobster thermidor). Same number of miles.

Now I'd add the advantage that in the event of a missed connection, I'd be on the same carrier and not as likely to be dumped into the limbo of running back and forth between the two operating carriers and the ticketing carrier due to buck passing. @:-)
I *always* try to book my trips on the same carrier for all segments whenever possible. Doesn't matter how far/close the airport, or the time of day, life is always MUCH easier during IRROPS when all segments are same carrier. Similarly, I will *always* book on the web site of the primary carrier for the trip, never on a third party site or different airline. So, for example, if I'm choosing a trip on LH, then I'll do everything possible to keep all segments on LH and book the flight on LH web site. I understand that since miles were used here, booking on the OZ or SQ web sites would not have been an option, but just making a broader point that it's always best to limit the scope (number of airlines or systems involved in a ticket) because increasing that complexity never makes things easier during IRROPS.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
OP - Have you tried calling OZ and simply saying, "help, I've been stranded by your contracted ground staff and nobody will help me. Will you help me get to ADL?"

If that doesn't work, try UA again. UA has no responsibility to you. But, if you can prevail on a UA agent to do a three-way call with OZ, you may get some action.
Calling OZ would be a good idea, but I imagine all their offices were closed at around 3am in Seoul. The only OZ that would be open at that time would be OZ in US, so it may have been a good idea to cal them. I was so squeezed on time that I did not think about doing this. Also, I had a dying phone on me, did not have the weird SIN adapter and only had 1 hr or so of the battery life. At 2am there were no shops open to buy an adapter. So, I had to place my bet carefully and in retrospect UA was probably the better bet.

But, a three-way call with OZ would probably be the best idea - that way I would have been routed to ADL. Note to self - carry all weird adapters for transfer airports.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 2:30 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mbalaev
Calling OZ would be a good idea, but I imagine all their offices were closed at around 3am in Seoul. The only OZ that would be open at that time would be OZ in US, so it may have been a good idea to cal them. I was so squeezed on time that I did not think about doing this. Also, I had a dying phone on me, did not have the weird SIN adapter and only had 1 hr or so of the battery life. At 2am there were no shops open to buy an adapter. So, I had to place my bet carefully and in retrospect UA was probably the better bet.

But, a three-way call with OZ would probably be the best idea - that way I would have been routed to ADL. Note to self - carry all weird adapters for transfer airports.
Tumi has a great all in one that's compact. Always in my carry on. Have another that is in my checked as well.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by mbalaev

Never been to Britain I take it? Singapore uses same plug as UK.

There are free charging points, some with USB I believe around the place, they are situated between the seats on way to gates. Hope you receive the compensation you deserve here because you've been truly screwed over by OZ here.

Last edited by Mlee888; Mar 22, 2016 at 12:35 am
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Do you IRROPs-Award ninjas/FT evangelists* ever quote chapter & verse to service agents in these situations? Does it seem to help? I have a hard time imagining some of you lot getting stymied in this situation, but I'm not sure the moves you use.

*Yep, know they're not necessarily the same
Old Apr 13, 2016, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
Do you IRROPs-Award ninjas/FT evangelists* ever quote chapter & verse to service agents in these situations? Does it seem to help? I have a hard time imagining some of you lot getting stymied in this situation, but I'm not sure the moves you use.
It depends on the country, native language, and situation - as these help determine what will or won't work. I've found it worked best in EU, though in KTM once, I did get $100 pp for delayed bags via TK. That was really interesting - as they'd never actually done it before, and had to get petty cash (in Nepali rupees) to pay out.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush

*Yep, know they're not necessarily the same
in irops? All the time! I have the *A rules as a PDF on my desktop has a reason Usually not too much pushback from there onwards but sometime I have to pay for things myself and then send in the bills. So far they have all been paid in full ... someone at UA knows what they are supposed to do and when the goof.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.