Oscar returns on March 14, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2016, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Post Oscar returns on March 14, 2016

Just saw this come across Twitter.

https://unitedairtime.com/our-storie...k-oscar-munoz/

United’s President and Chief Executive Officer Oscar Munoz plans to return to those roles on a full-time basis on March 14, 2016.

Oscar has already been participating actively in all major corporate decisions and meeting frequently with employees, shareholders, and other stakeholders during his recovery.

Oscar said, “I am thrilled to return full-time to a job and the employees I love. Since September when I became CEO, our team has been focused on our employees, improving the operation and the customer experience, and the results are starting to show … We have a lot of positive momentum, but this is just the beginning. There is significant work underway and we see substantial upside yet to come.”

View the video below for a message from Oscar to our employees.

Henry L. Meyer III, Non-Executive Chairman of United’s Board of Directors, said, “The Board is confident in the strength and potential of United’s business – and very pleased that Oscar will be returning to the roles of President and Chief Executive Officer on a full-time basis. We expect him to continue leading the company’s improving operational and financial performance, driving increased shareholder value, and innovating and elevating United’s customer and employee experience. We would also like to extend our sincere appreciation to Brett Hart for his superb leadership as acting CEO.”

United has also been upgrading its customer experience with free snacks and premium coffee, providing improved WiFi onboard, and modernizing its United Clubs and airport lounges. These and other enhancements are delivering continued improvement in United’s customer satisfaction, employee pride, and financial performance.

“Our progress isn’t just limited to the operation,” Oscar said. “Financially, we have been performing well. United’s 2015 earnings were one of the best in the Company’s history, and we made significant progress shrinking the margin gap with our closest competitors, strengthening our balance sheet, and returning significant cash to shareholders. United spent $1.2 billion repurchasing shares in 2015 and plans to spend $1.5 billion on share repurchases in the first quarter of 2016.”

For additional information, please read our news release.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 1:24 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Great news! ^
Old Mar 6, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Great! So far, Oscar Munoz appears to be turning things around for the better. Glad to hear he is healthy and will (hopefully) be advancing that upward trajectory!
Old Mar 6, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Oscar's moment of truth back on the job full-time will be his eventual "Come to Jesus" meeting with the flight attendant's union. That festering conflict over a unified contract may have been what sent him to the hospital in the first place, as I recall it was on the day he was supposed to meet this union that he was stricken.

If labor and management can cut this Gordian knot, then United will indeed be on a path to future greatness. If not, then ....
Old Mar 6, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by GBadger
Great! So far, Oscar Munoz appears to be turning things around for the better. Glad to hear he is healthy and will (hopefully) be advancing that upward trajectory!
good news
Old Mar 6, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by transportprof
Oscar's moment of truth back on the job full-time will be his eventual "Come to Jesus" meeting with the flight attendant's union. That festering conflict over a unified contract may have been what sent him to the hospital in the first place, as I recall it was on the day he was supposed to meet this union that he was stricken.

If labor and management can cut this Gordian knot, then United will indeed be on a path to future greatness. If not, then ....
I sometimes read their updates on http://ourcontract.org/news/2016/2/2...ary-23-25-2016 -- they sound positive so far, but who knows!
Old Mar 6, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Good news. There have been a lot of small positive improvements, but certainly there are a lot of big issues (union contracts for mechanics + FAs, empty high-level senior positions at UA, etc.) that need to be addressed. Hopefully he can move forward with tackling those.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: Marriott: Platinum Hilton: Diamond AC: 25K
Wonderful news not if he could just open up GPU to a couple extra classes I would be peachy.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I love the "Easy Button" on the desk behind him. If only
Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by Nimitz
Wonderful news not if he could just open up GPU to a couple extra classes I would be peachy.
Doesn't matter if he adds classes if they never clear.

In any event, great news to hear he is back! He has brought with him a wave of positive change to date.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LXFlyer
I sometimes read their updates on http://ourcontract.org/news/2016/2/2...ary-23-25-2016 -- they sound positive so far, but who knows!
I flew several RTs in Oscar's early days, and the FAs were positively beaming. I hope the good will continues.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Be strong, Oscar!
Old Mar 6, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Oscar ^^^
Old Mar 6, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Great news. Pace yourself, Oscar. Great to see you returning.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
First off, so happy for Mr. Munos and his family...and secondly for the rest of us customers and employees who get to benefit from his services.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.