Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to launch SFO - HGH service (Hangzhou, China) {Service terminated 14 Oct 2017}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to launch SFO - HGH service (Hangzhou, China) {Service terminated 14 Oct 2017}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2016, 5:54 pm
V9

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Pltm, Hyatt Diamond, spg Pltm
UA 's New Flight to HGH

UA flys to Hangzhou starting this 13th.

http://newsroom.united.com/2016-07-1...o-and-Hangzhou

Anyone on these flights?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by V9
UA flys to Hangzhou starting this 13th.

http://newsroom.united.com/2016-07-1...o-and-Hangzhou

Anyone on these flights?
Judging by the lack of a report on it in the broader thread...probably not. I do wonder what the loads have been like...
Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Silver
I would assume just as sparse as UA853 SFO-XIY?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Slight of the topic, but want to address the emptiness of the plane issue:

Many moons ago (and some of you might be inside of a school bus instead of in an airplane ;-)), when UA launched the second NRT-LAX-NRT flight (this was when UA was the powerhouse it used to be across the Pacific), I was on the the inaugural NRT-LAX flight on an almost brand new 744 during the peak of summer travel season. The later departure of the second flight worked for me because I had to connect from another East Asia city where UA did not have a direct flight that the time.

There was only 12 passengers on the flight despite marketing it for about 4 months. 2 of us were in in F, and I was the only revenue passenger, the other was an Executive from UA cargo operation. Nevertheless, the second NRT-LAX-NRT service was a success after the initial three months of "emptiness".

I am skeptical of the SFO-HGH service, but probably less than XIY. Time will tell if UA made the right decision.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:31 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I was curious, so I took a look at the seat maps for the past few days. It's weird, HGH-SFO has been and will be mostly full in both cabins, but SFO-HGH has been pretty empty.

In theory, it leads me to believe that the route is being used more by Chinese than by Americans, at least early on. (Surely, there are exceptions with some Americans returning home that started in other cities or otherwise got to Hangzhou).
Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I was curious, so I took a look at the seat maps for the past few days. It's weird, HGH-SFO has been and will be mostly full in both cabins, but SFO-HGH has been pretty empty.

In theory, it leads me to believe that the route is being used more by Chinese than by Americans, at least early on. (Surely, there are exceptions with some Americans returning home that started in other cities or otherwise got to Hangzhou).
Chinese students are going to the USA now to start their studies in early August or for summer school sessions. Flights will be packed the other way in May and June for the same reason.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by presario1626
I have not flown HGH international terminal, but their CA domestic terminal is quite good compare to a lot of US airports (IAD came to mind first). Given how much their government care about image, would be hard for me to image their international terminal is worse than domestic.
I flew out of HGH in 2014 (Dragonair to HKG) and found the international terminal pretty tidy and pleasant. The premium lounge was nothing special. I would rank HGH higher than many major US airports for cleanliness, roominess and user-friendliness. Checkin areas are (as is the style among major Asian airports) roomy, airy and spacious. Security and immigration were a breeze.

HGH is not SIN or KUL or BKK or PEK, but it is no worse than PVG.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA GS
The 7/18 flight's seat map for SFO-HGH shows an extremely open flight. Says only 15 out of 48 BF seats booked. E+ and E- in similar shape.

Hope the loads pick up!
Old Jul 18, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Chinese students are going to the USA now to start their studies in early August or for summer school sessions. Flights will be packed the other way in May and June for the same reason.
Originally Posted by ryder1650
The 7/18 flight's seat map for SFO-HGH shows an extremely open flight. Says only 15 out of 48 BF seats booked. E+ and E- in similar shape.

Hope the loads pick up!
I just check the seat map for today (UA982 SFO-HGH) and it showed, after take off 15J, 23 E+, and Y- about 1/2 full.

If UA is running a bunch of students on the very cheap fares UA is currently offering in Y, great, but it will not make this flight a success. Wednesday's flight (UA983, 7/20) shows 14 J blocked off, but I think its seat blocking given how it looks, not actual seats being taken. Same with E+, it shows 25 seats taken, but a few are middle seats with empty isles on either side, not what I would expect to see. Y- shows as full, but again the map may just be wonky (as it looks in J).

It is worth checking tomorrow to see what it looks like when it actually flies.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA
Load Factor on Wednesdays

Thinking about taking this flight SFO-HGH on Wednesday 10/26. Load looks empty as of now, but wondering if anybody has experience or knowledge on load factors and when most people will book for this flight. If I can get a row to myself in E+, I don't want to waste the UPG.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:54 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
It's really hard to estimate loads on China flights because China point-of-sale is very travel agent heavy, and many Chinese agencies heavily utilize blocked space agreements.

In general, it's difficult to differentiate a mostly empty flight and a flight with 10 middle seats left until checkin opens.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
It's really hard to estimate loads on China flights because China point-of-sale is very travel agent heavy, and many Chinese agencies heavily utilize blocked space agreements.

In general, it's difficult to differentiate a mostly empty flight and a flight with 10 middle seats left until checkin opens.
Thanks for the observation. Something I tend to forget when trying to make sense out of travel patterns from China.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL

Do the agencies pay for the blocked seats regardless? If not, does UA penalize them in anyway for not releasing the seats in advance?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Why not a 788 on this route? I assume UA has more "spare" 789s?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by username
Do the agencies pay for the blocked seats regardless? If not, does UA penalize them in anyway for not releasing the seats in advance?
I believe that there are some fares that can be refunded if pax are not able to obtain necessary paperwork for travel, i.e. visa for entry into the USA. We have some people from our office in Hangzhou book travel to the US a few years ago but had to cancel due to inability to get visas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.