Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Another 1k benefit going away -- $60 statement credit for MP Chase Credit Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
I use my Chase CC to pay for all my UA flights. Without the $60, I'd probably cancel and go to a Chase Sapphire card.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baze
Fly 3MM on UA metal actual BIS and you get 1K for life. Not sure why you said can't be earned anymore.
I said you couldn't "really" get the status any more. That means that for 99.99% of flyers, you can't get it. Yes, you theoretically can get it this way if you're living on UA aircraft. How many people have? A handful? It's like earning 1K status for 30 years.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 11:11 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by iahphx
I said you couldn't "really" get the status any more. That means that for 99.99% of flyers, you can't get it. Yes, you theoretically can get it this way if you're living on UA aircraft. How many people have? A handful? It's like earning 1K status for 30 years.
Did it somehow use to be easy to get 1K for life?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 12:28 am

Programs: UA GS
You would be surprised how many 3 MM Lifetime flyers there are. The number of 4 MM Lifetime flyers is also on the rise. Last year alone, I am aware of 5 FT'ers (including me) who hit 4 MM. There are a lot of us who fly more than 100,000 miles per year. It doesn't necessarily take 30 years to hit 3 MM. A couple of years at 900,000 BIS will help get you there fast!

Last edited by LAXOGG; Mar 4, 2016 at 12:38 am Reason: SP
Old Mar 4, 2016, 3:38 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
DoctorofCredit did a post on this topic, which is how I heard about it. Below is my comment on his thread. I will probably cancel the card at my next anniversary if Chase does not offer me a retention bonus. Lately, my experience, along with my wife's, is that Chase isn't giving out many retention bonuses. Hopefully, we're just having a run of bad luck.
__________________________________________________ ________

Aw, I’m one of the few people who are hurt by the elimination of this credit.

Like most folks, I got the card for the sign-up bonus. But I’m also a lifetime 1K member (you can’t really earn this status anymore). So I’ve been paying the $95-$60=$35 annual fee for the ability to get on the upgrade list when I take UA North American coach award flights. For most 1Ks, including me, this is only a modest benefit. First, I don’t take a lot of domestic award flights — like most folks I usually redeem for int’l awards (although, occasionally, I take a domestic segment to the int’l hub). Second, getting on this list isn’t usually very valuable because UA tries its best to sell those upgrades to anyone who will pay anything. And if those FC seats are still unsold, you still get trumped by elites using coupons.

That said, about once a year, I do get a domestic upgrade on an award ticket thanks to this card. I don’t value that upgrade very highly, but I do value it at $35, and there’s certainly some “fun” in being eligible to play the game on a domestic award ticket. The problem is whether I’d pay $95 for this benefit. I probably would not — especially now that UA is improving the coach product for 1Ks (free food and drink for us). So it may be bye-bye UA Chase card. A shame.
Which card is losing the $60 statement credit? And is there a link/press release, etc. with the explicit details?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Beerman92
Which card is losing the $60 statement credit? And is there a link/press release, etc. with the explicit details?
The $60 statement credit is for having a UA-branded card from Case. There are a few cards that qualify fr this. There will not be any press release announcing this. Someone noticed it in the card benefit statement when applying for a UA-branded card. See post #1.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by helvetic
Did it somehow use to be easy to get 1K for life?
After the merger there were some former continental people who became lifetime 1Ks without having flown even 1 million miles! I believe the infinite elite people turned into lifetime 1ks

Originally Posted by Beerman92
This wasn't a chase benefit. It was a UA benefit. I believe this thread would have been moved to chase forum if it was

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 4, 2016 at 6:02 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Mar 4, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
As a 1K, I quite liked holding onto the Explorer card. I kept it solely for the CPU on award ticket benefit.

After the $60 statement credit, I was spending $35 / year. I cleared 4 award CPUs last year and 3 of them were to/from Hawaii. $8 per upgrade isn't too bad .

I don't spend any money on the card though (I prefer Chase sapphire). Now that I'm based internationally (fewer domestic awards), and with the loss of the $60 statement, it's probably not worth holding onto this card. (Although it is nice to have a backup no fx-fee credit card at home, in case I lose my Chase sapphire and don't want to wait for a new card to be shipped to Japan...)
Old Mar 4, 2016, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

If this was part of an overall de-emphasis of perks/bennies for CC holders in favor of BIS/$$ flyers, that would be something to applaud.

This is just a benefit cut though it appears.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
This is just a benefit cut though it appears.
They're using the savings to pay for the "free" 1K food and beverage in Y
Old Mar 5, 2016, 9:02 am

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Has anyone queried UA or Chase. Just because someone noticed it on the terms, does not mean that it does not apply to cardholders and 1ks...
Old Mar 5, 2016, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, United 1k, Le Club Silver
Originally Posted by PaulMCO
Has anyone queried UA or Chase. Just because someone noticed it on the terms, does not mean that it does not apply to cardholders and 1ks...
It is on UA website. See fine print #6

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/default.aspx
Old Mar 27, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Well I'm good for 1 more year:-)
03/24/2016 03/24/2016 Refund 1K Annual Bonus Credit -$60.00
Old Mar 27, 2016, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by u600213
Me too! Maybe this is only for new applications and the rest of us are grandfthered in!
Old Mar 27, 2016, 9:47 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by u600213
Just noticed mine on my statement. ^

(And it's good to know that they still do this for GS. One year I had to call and convince them that GS should get it too. Agent didn't quite get it at first.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.