Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.

Archive thread
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2023, 4:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I’m currently on a SEA-MUC trip. I was originally going to do it on DL because their J fare was cheaper than UA’s, but when I compared DL’s miles and $$ fare with UA’s, UA was cheaper, so that is who I flew. AA’s fares were high and their flight times were inconvenient, so they weren’t even in the running. In April we are flying DL on a domestic trip because they are cheaper and have better flight times.

The days of defaulting to UA in order to maintain status are long gone.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 6:28 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Howard
Sometimes I don't know how UA stays in business with their high prices. I'm looking at BOS-SAN in First/Business in a few weeks. Here's what I'm seeing:
  • AS - nonstop - I class - $619
  • DL - nonstop - I class - $729
  • B6 - nonstop - I class - $944
  • UA - 1 stop (various connection cities) - C class - $1859
How in the world do they stay competitive with these prices? UA, with a connection, is charging almost 3x the price of AS nonstop!

I would like to fly on UA and maintain at least Platinum status, but I can't justify 3x the price. It's crazy!
Scott Kirby a decendent of P. T. Barnum? As jsloan commented, they aren't expecting you to pay nearly 3X but will gladly accept if someone does.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 6:29 am

Programs: *
Sometimes I don't know how UA stays in business with their high prices. I'm looking at BOS-SAN in First/Business in a few weeks. Here's what I'm seeing:
These are not really directly comparable though. I doubt many pax from BOS to XXX are ending in SAN or from XXX to SAN originated in BOS. The seats on those planes are likely not in competition with the direct BOS-SAN flights. The availability of only C class suggests that UA is not having problems selling F seats on either BOS to XXX or XXX to SAN.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
How in the world do they stay competitive with these prices? UA, with a connection, is charging almost 3x the price of AS nonstop!

I would like to fly on UA and maintain at least Platinum status, but I can't justify 3x the price. It's crazy!
Originally Posted by ani90
These are not really directly comparable though. I doubt many pax from BOS to XXX are ending in SAN or from XXX to SAN originated in BOS. The seats on those planes are likely not in competition with the direct BOS-SAN flights. The availability of only C class suggests that UA is not having problems selling F seats on either BOS to XXX or XXX to SAN.
ani90 has the answer for this one. If UA can sell 2 individual tickets for more than the through fare, then that's what they are going to do. I am surprised of the spread of pricing between the other 3 that are all flying NonStop though.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's not crazy. Looking at a single set of flights says absolutely nothing about an airline's overall pricing strategy. At a micro-level, the price of each flight is determined primarily by available inventory on that specific flight. It is simply a mistake to draw broad conclusions about "competitiveness" on that basis. This is particularly true when you're looking at a connecting itinerary, since demand for flights in or out of the connection point can dramatically impact the price of the throughfare.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 11:07 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not crazy. Looking at a single set of flights says absolutely nothing about an airline's overall pricing strategy. At a micro-level, the price of each flight is determined primarily by available inventory on that specific flight. It is simply a mistake to draw broad conclusions about "competitiveness" on that basis. This is particularly true when you're looking at a connecting itinerary, since demand for flights in or out of the connection point can dramatically impact the price of the throughfare.
I agree that you can't draw conclusions from one specific flight. However, BOS-SAN has multiple connection opportunites through EWR, ORD, IAD, DEN, IAH and even SFO. I suppose you could add LAX, too, if the timing is perfect. That's six or seven potential routings. Is UA is selling out F on all of those connection possibilities? If so, we can all forget about the TOD opportunities, etc.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador

Out of curiosity, I looked at BOS-SAN F fares for the first week of April.

On many days, F fares are around $800.

Normal routing like BOS-DEN-SAN.

It's not much higher than B6/AA/DL.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I agree that you can't draw conclusions from one specific flight. However, BOS-SAN has multiple connection opportunites through EWR, ORD, IAD, DEN, IAH and even SFO. I suppose you could add LAX, too, if the timing is perfect. That's six or seven potential routings. Is UA is selling out F on all of those connection possibilities? If so, we can all forget about the TOD opportunities, etc.
Makes sense to me. I imagine the problem isn't the hub->SAN flights--it's that on those days they're just not interested in filling BOS->EWR/ORD/IAD/DEN/IAH with leisure travelers paying $619 for a 2,500 mile flight.
JimInOhio likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Longer SAN flights also tend to command a revenue premium for being nonstop, so routing something like BOS-EWR-SAN is just giving away BOS-EWR for free since you could get the same (or probably higher) fare for just EWR-SAN. UA's dynamics are always a bit different because they hub O&D markets.
SPN Lifer and Holometer3D like this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
Short answer: No, with a but. Long answer: yes, with an and.

Inventory management is really complicated. You're going to run into three different things: (a) married inventory, (b) codeshare inventory; and (c) faring. For married inventory, UA and LX can (and do) publish EWR-ZRH-FLR inventory that is independent of EWR-ZRH and ZRH-FLR. For codeshare inventory -- UA may codeshare some LX flights and not others. United.com preferentially returns codeshare flights. Codeshare flights have their own inventory, which may be higher or lower than the native flight inventory. Therefore, the inventory you see for UA8123 differs from LX123 even if they are the same actual flight. (And then that gets swallowed into the married inventory discussion). And for faring -- in most cases, your fare is much less expensive if it applies for the entire trip to the next stopover point. So, if UA and LX have decided that EWR-ZRH-FLR should have D inventory on one set of flights, but P inventory on another, then the price can be twice as high.
Thank you. Very educational and useful info.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 12:45 pm

I am pricing SFO-NYC tickets on April 18-May 18 at similar times. Delta RT is $298; United is $818. What is going on?

Last edited by lavedder; Feb 14, 2023 at 12:57 pm
Old Feb 14, 2023, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lavedder
I am pricing SFO-NYC tickets on April 18-May 18 at similar times. Delta RT is $298; United is $573. What is going on?
SFO and EWR are UA hubs and they have captive flyers with corporate contracts.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by ani90
The availability of only C class suggests that UA is not having problems selling F seats on either BOS to XXX or XXX to SAN.
I know the seat map isn't a reliable indicator of load, but for what it's worth, on a particular routing BOS/DEN/SAN, there are 1/20 J seats reserved BOS/DEN and 4/20 J seats reserved DEN/SAN.

I agree that one example does not constitute a trend. However, I checked all 5 Thursday evenings in March, and the pricing is similar, with UA being around $1800 (with a connection in DEN) and DL being around $700 (nonstop). (On one of the five dates there was one seat left on UA in D class for $1200 with a longer connection in DEN.)

Originally Posted by kb1992
Out of curiosity, I looked at BOS-SAN F fares for the first week of April.
On many days, F fares are around $800.
Normal routing like BOS-DEN-SAN.
It's not much higher than B6/AA/DL.
Yes, there are lower UA fares on certain days of the week and certain times, but as above, Thursday evenings are very expensive on UA.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
On a handful of days, connecting through LAX or SEA. UA is not matching. They're probably counting on suckers spending up to chase the new 1K threshold
I might still do it, but I would definitely think twice about adding a LAX/SEA connection just to save a couple hundred dollars.
tstauck likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 7:07 pm

Yes, there are lower UA fares on certain days of the week and certain times, but as above, Thursday evenings are very expensive on UA.
for the better part of the last three decades, I have been starting all of my leisure travel trips on United on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. Fares are generally lower mid week, and snagging a miles and money upgrade at purchase is much easier then as well. When I was a 1K, I would call the 1K line and have a very experienced and helpful agent help me find the best opportunities for an upgrade at purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.