Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite former United benefit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your favorite former United benefit?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
The "Sweet spot" upgrades in my positive list are the tennis upgrades you're referring to. But prior to 2000, it was Y/C @ 24 hours only. I had endeavored to look up a mini history of UA system upgrade benefits here if of any interest.

A couple other benefits that exist in my very distant memory, but without many specifics - others may recall better:
  • There were "tiered bonus miles" triggered during the year. I don't remember the mechanics exactly, but once you hit X premier miles in a year, you got a bonus of like 20,000 miles, etc.
  • I also recall a benefit that was a "2 for" mileage redemption tickets. i.e. there was a price for 1 person, and then a discounted price if you were a party of two.
There were also, in addition to swu's "one way one class upgrade" certificates. They were only good on one flight number (though direct flights with stops were fine). If I recall, they were good on any fare.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Nothing to add, but it does make me realise what a substantial erosion has happened over the years.
Life as a GS today is definitely better than 1K ever was (esp if you're MM + GS getting two GS statuses for one). That's part of the issue.

If you want a blast from the past and my vote for the most prescient posting ever on FT, check out this classic original PremEx post about the newly introduced GS program from 2003. That single post is the one post that has always stuck with me, and I've never forgotten it. [Side comment: WOW, that actual thread lived all the way until the 2012 merger!]

Last edited by HeadInTheClouds; Feb 15, 2016 at 9:27 am
Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
A couple other benefits that exist in my very distant memory, but without many specifics - others may recall better:
  • There were "tiered bonus miles" triggered during the year. I don't remember the mechanics exactly, but once you hit X premier miles in a year, you got a bonus of like 20,000 miles, etc.
There was some type of "choose your own bonus" program. I recall being able to select a perk from a list of 3 or so when passing some PQM milestone. Some additional RDMs or PQMs for next year or something like that.

Maybe that is what you are recalling?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by Surftel
On time arrivals
This.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
There was some type of "choose your own bonus" program. I recall being able to select a perk from a list of 3 or so when passing some PQM milestone. Some additional RDMs or PQMs for next year or something like that.

Maybe that is what you are recalling?
They were called 'threshold bonuses' ...

I found some old article with a reference to them:

Airline program: United Mileage Plus

Minimum: 25,000 actual miles flown in one calendar year on United, Shuttle by United or United Express

Benefits: 25% mileage bonus for every flight and up to 100,000 miles in threshold bonuses...
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:28 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
But prior to 2000, it was Y/C @ 24 hours only
Hum, I was 1K before 2000, and I don't remember that restriction. Of course,
I remember little from that time.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:29 am

After last night debacle in Newark (BOM, DEL, TLV and GRU - all canceled) I would have to say safe, clean, reliable transportation.

How can this airline stay in business?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Ahh.. Man! When did we loose inherited status? That sucks.. I have not booked an award ticket for the family in a while and now I see that if I do what I usually do: Me paid (need PQM) and them award we can not all sit in E+..
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Ahh.. Man! When did we loose inherited status? That sucks.. I have not booked an award ticket for the family in a while and now I see that if I do what I usually do: Me paid (need PQM) and them award we can not all sit in E+..
Another erosion/devaluation of benefits. FF benefits are a thing of the past.

Last edited by Flyer1M; Feb 16, 2016 at 9:16 am
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Life as a GS today is definitely better than 1K ever was (esp if you're MM + GS getting two GS statuses for one). That's part of the issue.
When were you a 1K? Mid-90s, it was the "you could do no wrong" status with waivers and favors for pretty much anything. During the SFH, I pretty much got everywhere I was trying to go, mostly on time, and almost always in a cushy seat. It may not have been on my original flight, and as I would see the lost sea of humanity in snaking lines at ORD, I'd think "I'd never fly this airline if I didn't have my status."
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
When were you a 1K? Mid-90s, it was the "you could do no wrong" status with waivers and favors for pretty much anything. During the SFH, I pretty much got everywhere I was trying to go, mostly on time, and almost always in a cushy seat. It may not have been on my original flight, and as I would see the lost sea of humanity in snaking lines at ORD, I'd think "I'd never fly this airline if I didn't have my status."
Yep, late 90s at least. Life as a GS today is still all that to me. Plus a lot of other program benefits that didn't exist back then.

It's the 1Ks that have taken the biggest hit.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Plat
Continental Insider!
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
  1. Inherited Status
  2. Blocked middle seats for 1K
  3. Red Carpet boarding
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:45 pm
grt

Upgrade certificates for MM members. They went away shortly after I crossed the 1MM barrier
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I'm going to say blocked middle seats next to 1K flyers. Now there is hardly a middle to be found.

- Having to sign a release in person whenever redeeming miles for another person. (And even then, having it still cause problems.)
It seems like just yesterday I had to go down to the airport and sign the "blueys"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.