Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earlier Opening for Customs & Immigration @ SFO, UA flights still arrive before open

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earlier Opening for Customs & Immigration @ SFO, UA flights still arrive before open

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As some of you might know, the customs and immigration does not open at SFO until 7:30 AM. If a plane gets in earlier, they are not allowed to open the door until 7:30.

I found out today that is changing but don't know the details. For example, when will this start and how early will they open? Will they have different summer and winter schedules?

It seems UA has moved some flights up. For example. TPE flight will depart TPE 9:50 and get into SFO at 6:25 in the summer (and 11:30/6:35 in the winter). I guess earlier arrival provides more possibilities to connect on the US side but one has to get up earlier on the other side.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
My flight from SYD is due to land @7 am in April. Sure hope that I don't have to sit on the plane until 7:30 a.m.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by transportprof
My flight from SYD is due to land @7 am in April. Sure hope that I don't have to sit on the plane until 7:30 a.m.
This. When they change planes for Oz flights (to 787-9 next month), they'll get in quite early! Mine scheduled to arrive 6:45am late summer.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:48 pm

Programs: United Plat
When does SFO CBP start processing passenger arrival in the morning?

UA955 from TLV is scheduled to arrive in SFO at 6am. Is CBP open at 6am?
Old Jun 4, 2016, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by sfo3388
When does SFO CBP start processing passenger arrival in the morning?

UA955 from TLV is scheduled to arrive in SFO at 6am. Is CBP open at 6am?
Yes. We landed from TLV at about 5:45am this morning and waited on the plane until 6am and then went through immigration, customs, etc.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: United Plat
This morning (07JUN) UA 872 from TPE arrived in SFO at 6:30am but passengers were asked to stay inside the aircraft until the official arrival time 6:50am. The reason was "flow control".

Flight from TLV arrived at 6am. Passengers from XIY and TPE got out of the planes around the same time (6:50).

I noticed that the arrival time of UA872 of past few days is always 6:50am. Never earlier.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Consolidated Arrived at Gate, Immigration Not Open Thread?

I flew into SFO today and landed about 5:50 AM. We got to the gate and had to wait until 6:30 for Immigration to open. They could not even unload the bags until 6:30 so the bags did not start coming out until about 7 AM.

It seems the FLIFO shows door open time so these flights show on-time. The TLV flight seemed to have landed about 5 AM and had to wait until 6. It seems maybe they got processed before 6:30 and maybe they didn't want everyone off the plane at the same time so we had to wait?

I know this is not UA's fault but wonder if we can have a thread to track/share the experience? If it is bad enough, maybe they will do something about it?

Thanks.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 17, 2016 at 12:02 am Reason: cleanup after move
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Wouldn't keeping people on the plane until 6:30 cause a dangerous situation when everyone is eventually let off the plane? I know that if I was held on a plane, and I knew that everyone else on other planes was likely being held onboard, then as soon as I got off the plane, I'd go barreling down the hallway toward immigration like a baserunner trying to beat the ball to home plate, due to fear of being stuck in line.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
The KWI/DXB flights used to get into IAD before 6 am many times and had to wait over 30 minutes one time I remember on the plane before deplaning.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by STS-134
Wouldn't keeping people on the plane until 6:30 cause a dangerous situation when everyone is eventually let off the plane?
I am sure that is not the concern of Immigration and Customs

Another thing is that if you get in on the 787, your mobile phone might not work while you are stuck on the plane.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 2:26 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I was on the 852 XIY flight this morning and we were told that despite landing at 6:15 we had to wait 10 min until our scheduled arrival time for the door to be opened. They did not elaborate whether this was because customs opened at 6:30 or because planes were actually required to wait for their scheduled arrival slot.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by TA
I was on the 852 XIY flight this morning and we were told that despite landing at 6:15 we had to wait 10 min until our scheduled arrival time for the door to be opened. They did not elaborate whether this was because customs opened at 6:30 or because planes were actually required to wait for their scheduled arrival slot.
It was customs/immigration for sure.... arrival slots are not definitive where you can't open a door if you are early. They didn't have the personnel in place yet to accommodate you.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
When running so early that our gate will not be available, or needed ICE not open, we'll slow down enroute which saves fuel and reduces or eliminates the delay on the ground. Sometimes, however, you just can't slow down enough when winds are favorable.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by username
Another thing is that if you get in on the 787, your mobile phone might not work while you are stuck on the plane.
That's probably the single least important thing about the entire issue.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 12:04 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by LarryJ
When running so early that our gate will not be available, or needed ICE not open, we'll slow down enroute which saves fuel and reduces or eliminates the delay on the ground. Sometimes, however, you just can't slow down enough when winds are favorable.
I was looking at the jet stream maps and Flightaware track for our flight back -- we took a southern route that was dramatically different from the polar route over Russia that we flew to get there. We kind of went straight over towards Seattle.

Going:

Returning:

I guess this explains it:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.