Wiki Posts
Search

United Temporary CSR Position - IAH

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Exclamation United Temporary CSR Position - IAH

Hi All,
A close friend of my son's is applying for the newly posted temporary (summer) CSR position in Houston. The position fits perfectly for well organized college students - it begins in the third week of May and ends in the second week of August.

I've never seen a position like this at UA, so I had a few questions:
1. I'm assuming they get flight benefits while they're there (?); do these begin immediately
2. Do you think these positions would simply be lobby hosts/premium security "boarding pass check" people or would they actually be checking in, boarding flights, etc.?
3. If the job is temporary and ends in three months, do flight benefits carry on for a whole year or do they stop immediately?

Thank you!
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know about 1 and 2, but as to 3, if there are any flight benefits at all, they would certainly end on the last day of employment. (Former UA employee here.)
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Alright, thank you - the reason why I was asking is b/c I believe I heard that at delta for seasonal positions (which are much more common there), they extend flight benefits for the whole year if they can't offer you a full time position after the temp. position is over.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
IIRC, they had these at ORD last year. Younger folks dressed in yellow polo shirts. They didn't seem to be assigned to gates or perform any actual staff functions. Makes sense as that would probably violate the Union contracts.

They were mostly providing directions and answering basic questions from the less frequent fliers in the Summer time.

Edit / Added: In re-reading your post, I realize it did not say "Intern" which I thought it did. So maybe these are true part time CSR positions? What type of responsibilities / duties does it list in the posting?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:50 am
Original Poster

The post made it sound like its a real CSR position; that being said, I know the delta temps are usually just lobby host. When he was actually on the application, it said there would 1-1.5 weeks of training; that seems too short to learn all the computer systems, etc.. dont you think? here's the description:

Part time Seasonal Duration Assignments available at IAH, Houston

Temporary assignment duration approximately May 27, 2016 to August 13, 2016

Customer Service Representative - Temporary - Part -Time - IAH
Houston, TX
Hourly salary $11.48
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT

NO AGENCIES PLEASE

Overview
Join United as we develop the world’s leading airline. As a United Airlines Customer Service Representative (CSR) you can play an important role in making passengers appreciate the quality of service offered by United. The positive interactions that CSRs have with passengers at the ticket counter, gate, baggage services, or red carpet rooms will have a direct positive impact on the company. That is why we put a premium on hiring courteous, caring, and customer-focused employees who can not only communicate with passengers, but also listen. People with the desire to take that extra step to improve someone’s travel experience. The Customer Service Representative (CSR) is responsible for assisting passengers with flight reservations, ticketing and check-in, boarding, customer service and complaint resolution, as well as receiving aircraft. Assignments may consist of, but are not limited to, work in areas such as the ticket counter, gate, baggage services, international departures and arrivals, red carpet rooms, and others.
Responsibilities
Communicate with passengers
Generate passenger reservations and boarding passes
Resolving disservice situations (e.g., determine alternate flight options for delayed, cancelled, or missed flights, change/rebook a reservation)
Read passenger identification documents, baggage tags, cargo labels, and flight status information
Operate a computer to enter and retrieve data
Lift baggage and boxes/packages weighing up to 70lbs.
Open/close aircraft door before flight departure and upon flight arrival
Stand for up to 4 hours during a shift
Walk continuously throughout the airport
Sit continuously when providing customer service
Operate the passenger loading jet-way bridge
Read the weight of baggage from a scale and assess the baggage fee if required
Perform simple calculations
Ensure compliance with United and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations and policies
Other duties as assigned

Qualifications

Education
High School Diploma, GED or education equivalent required
Knowledge/Skills
Excellent communication skills required
Other
Must be at least 18 years old
Must pass a background check
Must be able to work during day and night shifts, weekends, and holidays; mandatory overtime may be required based on operation need
Must be able to work outdoors in all temperatures and weather conditions
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship
Successful completion of interview required to meet job qualifications
Reliable, punctual attendance is an essential function of the position
INDUAL
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:22 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Sounds like http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...an-i-help.html
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:39 am
Original Poster

^ just read through that thread and yes it does sound similar.
weird that UA would advertise it seemingly as if it were a full CSA position

because they're hired directly by ua, im hoping they get flight benefits.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anybody else catch that it says Red Carpet Rooms. Wow, talk about cutting and pasting old information into a new job description. Or just regurgitating an old job description.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

I did notice that and thought it was a bit strange.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Baze
Anybody else catch that it says Red Carpet Rooms. Wow, talk about cutting and pasting old information into a new job description. Or just regurgitating an old job description.
maybe the UC's are going to be renamed.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and Oscar should do an Undercover Boss week

For permanent employees, do pass benefits start the first day or after some probation period?

I think even if this position comes with the pass benefit day 1, it would be very low priority + the year of hire. It might be hard to get onto flights over the summer.

After I retire, I wouldn't mind getting a part time airline job. Not so much for the pass benefit but just to learn how things work, etc. I am thinking I am not the only one here
Old Feb 7, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Just curious as to why these questions can't be asked to the HR contact in charge of the applications? I think very few people
(maybe none) on this forum would have done the same type of job for United and therefore all these answers are just speculation.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
It's a temporary union position.

This could be gate agent, counter agent, baggage service. More likely gate agent than not I would think. Definitely not a UC position.

Probably have fixed days off during the week.

Pay is around $11 now I think starting.

I would expect 4-5 hour shifts five days a week.

Flight benefits should be included, and would terminate the last day of service.

CSR hopeful should be prepared to handle people in hectic situations (aka IAH thunderstorms)

Lowest possible point for seniority, everyone else goes before you.

You can read more about the passenger service contract at www.iam141.org/united

They can adjust your schedule with very little notice
Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by iluvairlines
it said there would 1-1.5 weeks of training;
If this is what full CSAs get, it would really explain a lot.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The OP might want to check whether the position can require split shifts at time--i.e., work the early morning rush hour period for several hours and then come back for several hours in the late afternoon and early evening, so that the position covers only the times when the airport is busiest.

In most states, working for five hours or less means that no lunch (or other meal) break is required by law.

Benefits coverage tends to depend on the average number of hours worked per week, often with thresholds for benefits eligibility and (at least some fraction of) benefits paid by the employer at 20/25/30 and 35 or 40 (full time) hours per week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.