Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated YVR connections / bags / logistics / lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2014, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G, Accor/Sofitel Gold, InterContinental Platinum

Booked DEN-YVR-SYD in business (all flights). DEN-YVR is on UA and the YVR-SYD leg on AC. We have about 1 hour 30 min between flights. We are traveling on US passports.

There is a nice connections navigation tool on YVR's website. So, I believe I understand how the connection will work.

Given the evening flight times (arriving YVR after 8pm), it appears we need to go through Canadian immigration/customs, collect bags, and then go re-check in with AC and drop our bags. Then go back through security to get to our SYD gate.

Have others done this connection and is this how it actually works in practice? My understanding is that before 8pm you can do a quick connect, without formally entering Canada and re-checking in. Not sure why this option is not available after 8pm (staffing maybe?).

Does UA provide boarding passes for all legs (checking us in for the AC YVR-SYD leg as well)?

Is one hour, 30-ish minutes sufficient time to accomplish all of this at YVR at 10pm at night?

Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
90min is cutting it
If there are much any delays in the UA flight to YVR then you might end up spending the night in YVR... or worse... UA may just re-book you on their own metal to SYD directly
I would aim to just arrive in YVR earlier and hang out in the lounge longer
Old Aug 10, 2014, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
I can't speak for YVR, but having often connected at YUL, I can tell you there I would not recommend anything less than 3 hours, especially if you have checked luggage.

Here are your variables:

1. The length of time it will take for your checked bags to arrive at the baggage carrousel

2. The line at Canadian immigration. Even if you have GlobalEntry, it will not help you, since Canadian Immigration doesn't use American GlobalEntry.

3. Finally, the security to get back to the airside portion of the airport.

I have never transited at YVR, but have flown there many times, and I have found all three items above to be highly variable.

I'm not familiar with the overall airport traffic at the time you will be there, but all it would take would be one or two TPAC Arrivals to clog up both bag delivery and immigration.

Ditto, for security. If you happen to hit it just when a couple of 747's are about to take off for East or South Asia, you will find that security will be very slow.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Was there a note about international connections after 8pm on the airport website? Your bags should transit without needing to be re-checked, and in general you deplane the DEN-YVR flight and follow the path to the international connections escalator that takes you up to the departures level with a quick passport check that should take all of 10 minutes at the most.

If the international connections facility is closed after 8pm, then yes, there could be longer delays in the connection process - I would clarify this with the airport directly, but the bags should most definitely be checked through and if the international connection area is open, you do not need to claim and recheck the bags.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:50 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Connecting through YVR
The country I am arriving from is: USA
The airline I am arriving on is: UA
The country I am departing to is: INT
The airline I am departing on is: AC
USA Arrivals to International Departures

Based on your selection above, we have determined that you are a connecting passenger who is arriving from a city in the U.S.A. (e.g. New York) and connecting to an International city (e.g. Hong Kong).

Connection Summary

1 Arrive at YVR

Most passengers will have their luggage checked-through to their final destination, so you will not claim your checked-bags at YVR.
Please ensure you have a boarding pass and baggage claim tags for your connecting flight – if you do not, follow instructions for Option 2.

Option 1: For passengers arriving between 9:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. local-time

2 Proceed to International Transit Facility

Follow signs that state International Connections.

3 Canada Border Services

Present your passport, customs declaration and boarding pass to the Canada Border Services officer.
See the Customs & Immigration section for details on required documentation and forms.

4 Find Your Gate

Follow the signs to your designated boarding gate. Confirm your assigned gate and time for boarding on the flight information display screens.

5 Services & Amenities

See the Map and Services & Amenities tabs of this passenger guide to find out more about the shopping, food & beverage and passenger services available in your area.

Option 2: For passengers arriving before 9:00 a.m. or after 8:00 p.m. local-time, or without baggage checked-through to your final destination.

2 Proceed to Canada Border Services

Follow Canada Arrivals signs to Canada Border Services.

Proceed down elevators, escalators or stairs to Arrivals Level 2, to Canada Border Services area.

3 Canada Border Services

For passport inspection, wait in designated areas for next available Canada Border Services officer.
CANPASS Air and NEXUS Air members can utilize the self-service kiosks.
See the Customs & Immigration section for details on required documentation and forms.

4 Claim Baggage

Baggage can be claimed immediately following the Canada Border Services processes.
Check the information display screens to confirm your baggage carousel.
Find the numbered baggage carousel corresponding to your flight.
Free baggage carts are located in the baggage claim area.
Hand your declaration card to the Canada Border Services officer on your way out.

5 International Reception Lounge

Proceed out of baggage claim area with your checked baggage.
All passengers enter the International Reception Lounge area.
You may choose to access services in this area including tourism information and transportation or choose to proceed through the exit to the public greeting area.

6 Public Greeting Area

Follow the exit sign to proceed through automatic glass doors to public greeting area.

7 Proceed to International Departures

Take elevator or escalator up to International Departures, Level 3.

8 Check-in

If you already have a boarding pass and no baggage to check, go to step 10.
If you haven’t already checked-in online or at one of YVR’s off-site check-in locations, proceed to your airline’s designated check-in counters or kiosks.
Learn about your options for checking-in online, at YVR or at other locations.

9 Baggage Check-in

If you aren’t already at your airline’s check-in area, report there and follow their procedures for checking and dropping off your baggage.

10 Security Checkpoint

Follow the signs to your designated boarding gate – D – to find the security checkpoint.
For information on the pre-board screening process including packing tips and a list of permitted and non-permitted items, see the Security section.

11 Find Your Gate

Follow the signs to your designated boarding gate. Confirm your assigned gate and time for boarding on the information display screens.

12 Services & Amenities

See the Map and Services & Amenities tabs of this passenger guide to find out more about the shopping, food & beverage and passenger services available in your area.

SOURCE: http://www.yvr.ca/en/navigating-yvr/...rough-yvr.aspx
OP you may be pushing this one.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
90 minutes is not a sufficient cushion at YVR if you are required to clear immigration and customs. Passport control alone can easily take an hour there.

Between 7 and 8 p.m., there are at least three widebodies arriving from Asia (CZ, CI, BR), so you can expect long lines at immigration. My worst immigration experiences have been at that airport.

I personally would book the longer connection and plan to spend a big chunk of time in the MLL.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Just to add my own data point to this thread, my current record for most-delayed UA flight of 2014 was on the evening DEN-YVR flight. We were almost four hours late due to late arriving crew. DEN is prone to such delays in the evening since crew are all coming from other connections, so that weather in other parts of the continent can delay such cnx.

Our flight arrived arrived after midnight.....
Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K 2MM
Connecting at YVR from US to International departure is fairly easy during the daytime hours--as suggested. But if that short-cut is not open after 8 pm, I think you should try to rejuggle the schedule--90 minutes simply will not be enough time, even with luggage checked through. Or so it seems to me.

Flyer 420
just returned from YVR
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: nada
Wow--I did a YYZ transit US to TATL a few months back and it sounds like that airport is the exact opposite of YVR after hours but fairly close to YVR daytime policy.
YYZ was one of the easiest intl transits I ever had--walk halfway from the gates at the end of the pier towards the main terminal building, a single immigration officer was at a booth for transits, I might have had to confirm the number of bags or something, but then I was stamped and directed to take a moving walkway back to the end of the pier where the international gates were. It helped I was one of the first off the plane but it still was super efficient.
As a side note--YUL can be a hell of a walk too, and moreso if taking a prop from the midfield terminal combined with transborder flights
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA-1K (3MM); AA-Gold (1MM); Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I went to www.yvr.ca to check out the arrival times of some of the evening flights.

Today's (11AUG) DEN-YVR flight sked to arrive at 21h26 and is scheduled to arrive at 21h53 at Gate 70. Gate 70 will minimize your walk to immigration to some degree. The fact that this flight is coming into gate 70 to me means it will be used for the YVR-ORD summer red-eye flight.

CX's flight from HKG arrived at 21h27. DL from MSP arrived at 21h38. DL from SEA (RJ) to arrive at 21h56 instead of 22h11.

Depending on the mix of Canadians versus non-Canadians (separate lines) will dictate how busy it will be in the immigration hall.

Your flight to SYD is at 23h40. It will be hectic, however, if you were flying today, you would have been okay.

Bonne chance.
Cheers
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G, Accor/Sofitel Gold, InterContinental Platinum
Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback. I was able to adjust to an earlier arriving flight. However, it required an additional connection. Not ideal, but provide plenty of time to make the connection. I appreciate the info.

Cheers
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Gate checking bags to YVR

So here's something we've never had to do before. In a couple of weeks, we'll be flying a CR-7 from LAX to YVR. If we take our rollaboards, we'll either need to check them or gate check them. If we gate check them, will UA deliver them planeside, or will they ship them to baggage claim?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
UX gate checks are delivered planeside. Including, IME, at Canadian airports.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:38 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
UX gate checks are delivered planeside. Including, IME, at Canadian airports.
Always had gate checked bags delivered to me planeside after landing in CLE from YYZ on the Q400. Can't imagine it would be any different with SkyWest - you've already done pre-clearance so everything should operate as a domestic flight.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: UA-1K (3MM); AA-Gold (1MM); Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Bags that are on RJs and were treated as carry-on will be brought to you planeside, in the jet way, upon your arrival into YVR.

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.