Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge - disruptive customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global First Lounge - disruptive customers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold
I don't understand why people are so afraid to just say something to others. "Hey, can you use headphones?", "Hey, I'm trying to read, can you use your inside voice on that conference call?". Maybe I'm just aggressive and like confrontation?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by Cuchulainn
The Golden Rules should be -feet on the floor. An appropriate tone of voice. Headphones always. Respect for the staff. Respect for other passengers. All of us are somewhere we'd rather not be, heading to somewhere else. Let's all remember to do unto others as we would have them do unto us.
This.

With the one corollary that I teach my kids: the headphones come off any time someone is speaking to them, e.g., especially, a flight attendant asking what they'd like to eat or drink.

I'm totally sympathetic to the OP.

We've always taught our kids (the same way my parents taught me) that when we're out in public as a family in places like nice restaurants, 5 star hotels, first class cabins/lounges, etc., they have to be more polite than the most polite adult in the room. We also teach them that enjoying those sorts of places is a privilege that very few people in this world get to experience, and if they're not appropriately well behaved, they're no longer going to be able to enjoy them. By now (10 and 12) we can travel with them in international F and enjoy Michelin starred restaurants.

With respect to the question about the toddler, to be honest (and probably to the surprise of many who have seen my posts on the preboarding thread), I actually would say that it's not appropriate to let the toddler run around, even accompanied.

When my kids were of that age, I would take them outside the lounge if they started to cry or needed to "get their wiggles out." Again, the theory is that my kids should be the most polite people in the room.

Admittedly, that's not always a high bar, though.

Greg
Old Feb 4, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by JBord
I'm in agreement on an age requirement for all UC's, not just the GFL. Based on some of the behavior I've seen, I think it should be around 30.
Hey, I just turned 25 and paid good money for my membership I'm a consultant, and keep to my self in the lounge. I've seen plenty of older folks worse than the younger ones
Old Feb 4, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
There are two types of people in the world: Those who follow this rule by their nature, and those who have no conception and/or don't care how their behavior affects others. The second type generally can't be fixed.
Thankfully most who appear to be the latter turn out to be the former who, for whatever reason, have simply forgotten common decency. Usually a polite word from the lounge staff will set things right. I count myself among those who've been corrected.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Originally Posted by greg99
when we're out in public in places like nice restaurants, 5 star hotels, first class cabins/lounges, etc., they have to be more polite than the most polite adult in the room. We also teach them that enjoying those sorts of places is a privilege that very few people in this world get to experience, and if they're not appropriately well behaved, they're no longer going to be able to enjoy them.
+1 Well said!

...one corollary that I teach my kids: the headphones come off any time someone is speaking to them...
Generally agree, unless said person is not taking the hint that you don't want an unprovoked, never-ending conversation. Aka that seatmate on the ultra long haul who won't. stop. talking. ever. (grrrr).
Old Feb 4, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Pretty telling that in the end the nanny went off with the kid, and the parents stayed in the GFL.

As others have said, this is a noise and respect for others issue. Nothing to do with kids. It's the parents who clearly lacked courtesy and basic decency in this case.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
How about surprised and delighted 1ks?

As a 1K who was "surprised and delighted" into the GFL on a BF ticket, twice (but never again), I was wondering if the GF/GS people lodged complaints such as this one, and ended it?

(For the record, I behaved and didn't blast Dora in the GFL. I quietly enjoyed my shrimp and sandwich.)
Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat4Life, Hertz Pres Circle, reformed WN AP & CP
I don't know about an age limit, but there should be a code of conduct. I've see 4-year-olds who were perfectly fine and 50-year-olds who were incredibly disruptive. I'd say this is true for the United Club too.

I like to think of it like a fine dining restaurant. You're welcome to come, but everyone else there spent a lot of money to be there so if you can't behave yourself then you need to leave.

Last edited by goalie; Feb 4, 2016 at 7:09 pm Reason: Response to deleted post
Old Feb 4, 2016, 7:45 pm

My thoughts on this is that the club spaces & lounges should be quiet-ish shared spaces. GFL more so.

Kids, self-important folks yelling on their cell phones, too good to use headphones, whatever - make it politely known to Club or Lounge staff and that it is disruptive.

Frankly, if I wanted to put up with a zoo, I'd stay out the boarding gate. When the clubs & GFL become the same with some low quality free food and booze, what really is the difference except some door Dragons? IMO, not much.

Want to use the phone? Have a rowdy kid (or ten)? Feel like blasting your Jay-Z? Find a conference room/family room/cordoned off area. Club & GFL staff should direct them to those if they can't self-quarantine, IMO.

Using your cell phone loudly is a choice. Not using headphones is a choice. And as unpopular as it might sound, having (and traveling with) kids is also a choice (in a "practice what you preach" vein, it is a major reason I don't have kids or want them - the compromises they require in my life/lifestyle are not ones I am excited about making).

Nothing intrinsically wrong with those choices, but when those choices begin to distrupt an environment that is a shared space that is generally agreed to be one of relative peace & refreshment for all, it is inappropriate to let those choices affect others' experience.

The Clubs and GFL are not nor should they be libraries of autocratic silence but I also object to the very notion of a "quiet room" (which very few clubs have), because they're a lot like a public pool: don't pee in it. If you need to pee, get up, and use the appropriate facility. Please don't expect those of us that just want to hang out in a clean, unpolluted environment to have to sequester ourselves to a separate area nor is that appropriate.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jandj
People just brought an infant and a toddler into the Global First lounge - maybe I am wrong but really - the United club is not good enough for your 9 month old
I'll put my 8-year-old up against any DYKWIA traveler, any time, any where, any day.

He's such a great traveler, and has been since he was very little.

You'd much rather sit next to him than many others, I promise. His manners are excellent, he knows the words "please" and "thank you", he is neat, clean, and respectful, and is quite the chick magnet. Yes, even when my wife is sitting there.

We're flying F to Maui in April, and even have a return leg SFO-EWR on a 3-class 777 in the GF cabin. He's going to get some stares - that always happens - but that's just jealousy. Maybe if they were as great a traveling buddy as he is, I'd take them too.

But even in the clubs, he's nothing but golden. From day 1, he respects it for what it is - a quiet respite from the terminal. He's conscious of those around him and behaves himself like such a gentleman... makes me beam with pride, in case you can't tell. Good kid; I'm super lucky to have him.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by bmustaf
My thoughts on this is that the club spaces & lounges should be quiet-ish shared spaces. GFL more so.

Kids, self-important folks yelling on their cell phones, too good to use headphones, whatever - make it politely known to Club or Lounge staff and that it is disruptive.

Frankly, if I wanted to put up with a zoo, I'd stay out the boarding gate. When the clubs & GFL become the same with some low quality free food and booze, what really is the difference except some door Dragons? IMO, not much.

Want to use the phone? Have a rowdy kid (or ten)? Feel like blasting your Jay-Z? Find a conference room/family room/cordoned off area. Club & GFL staff should direct them to those if they can't self-quarantine, IMO.

Using your cell phone loudly is a choice. Not using headphones is a choice. And as unpopular as it might sound, having (and traveling with) kids is also a choice (in a "practice what you preach" vein, it is a major reason I don't have kids or want them - the compromises they require in my life/lifestyle are not ones I am excited about making).

Nothing intrinsically wrong with those choices, but when those choices begin to distrupt an environment that is a shared space that is generally agreed to be one of relative peace & refreshment for all, it is inappropriate to let those choices affect others' experience.

The Clubs and GFL are not nor should they be libraries of autocratic silence but I also object to the very notion of a "quiet room" (which very few clubs have), because they're a lot like a public pool: don't pee in it. If you need to pee, get up, and use the appropriate facility. Please don't expect those of us that just want to hang out in a clean, unpolluted environment to have to sequester ourselves to a separate area nor is that appropriate.
^ Totally agree. I do not think it is the traveler's responsibility to police clubs, especially GF clubs, so there's no way I'm going to confront rude guests. It's part of UA's "enhanced experience," so UA should proactively make sure that decorum is maintained in all UC areas. That's not always something that can be done from behind a reception desk.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
I'm in agreement on an age requirement for all UC's, not just the GFL. Based on some of the behavior I've seen, I think it should be around 30.
No. The minimum age should be 45 and the maximum age should be 48.

I reserve the right to modify these ages as I get older.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by richfish13
I don't understand why people are so afraid to just say something to others. "Hey, can you use headphones?", "Hey, I'm trying to read, can you use your inside voice on that conference call?". Maybe I'm just aggressive and like confrontation?
Me as well. Call 'em like you see 'em.... While I would prefer the club staff to be more proactive, A polite "do you mind toning it down" works just fine.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bmustaf

I agree.

It is not about kids vs adults. It's about appropriate behavior and not thinking you are more important than everyone around you. Loud conversations (whether on a phone or with someone sitting next to you) should take place outside the club. If I can hear every word you are saying from 10 feet away, you need to go somewhere else. Feet (and bags) belong on the floor. If you make a mess, clean it up.

Not at a club, but I encountered a very funny situation a while back while waiting to board. Two women in their 40's were standing in front of me having a very loud conversation about something extremely important. Apparently, Jill was upset because Susan invited Jane to a party, or something. I had been enduring this for a good 10 minutes when the woman in front of them made a quick phone call to let someone know that her flight was delayed. One of the "real housewives" in front of me remarked at how rude it was to use a phone in public. This said under her breath but loud enough for everyone nearby to hear. I almost started laughing, but caught myself at the last second.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM Marriott Gold
I see families all the time in the LAX UC (undergoing renovations, so smaller right now). Kids often running or loud, parents not supervising :-( As a single traveler usually flying alone, I view the inclusion of immediate families (GRATIS!) as a privilege that should NOT be abused...IMHO. Keep the kids quiet (inside voices) and under control. Other UC member will thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.