Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge - disruptive customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

People just brought an infant and a toddler into the Global First lounge - maybe I am wrong but really - the United club is not good enough for your 9 month old - their iPad is blasting Dora the Explorer cartoons - the toddler is running around - just spilled yogurt all over the carpet - nanny cleaning it up with Perrier - when we used to travel with our kids I would rent a conference room if we had a long layover so we did not bother anyone - should there be an age requirement for GFL?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jandj
People just brought an infant and a toddler into the Global First lounge - maybe I am wrong but really - the United club is not good enough for your 9 month old - their iPad is blasting Dora the Explorer cartoons - the toddler is running around - just spilled yogurt all over the carpet - nanny cleaning it up with Perrier - when we used to travel with our kids I would rent a conference room if we had a long layover so we did not bother anyone - should there be an age requirement for GFL?
If they are flying in GF why wouldn't they be allowed in? If they are making too much noise complain to them or the receptionist. And what makes you think people in the UC want that any more than you do. Your post comes across as very DYKWIA.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Not trying to come across poorly

not being pompous - not trying to come across that way at all - actually I am pretty free form - I did not need to complain - a group of other people did - a united agent came in and explained to the folks there was a family area in the UC they could use - the nanny and the kids went off there and mom and dad stayed behind - I am just shaking my head
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Most of the time I encounter children in the GFL they are nearly all VERY well behaved - surprisingly so to me as the father of 6 lol.... If the parents fail to control their children - or if the kids are having a bad day and the parents just ignore it - then the issue isn't the kids - it's the parents....

I totally get OP being frustrated - yesterday on the way back from Tokyo I was exhausted - and once my flight got delayed two hours I'm sure I wouldn't have wanted to deal with screaming kids throwing food in the lounge, instead I got to listen to two half drunk guys screaming at Donald Trump on the TV explaining why second is really first - or my personal favorite - the South American business man on a three hour conference call practically yelling every time he spoke...

Maybe I'd prefer the kids...
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I'm in agreement on an age requirement for all UC's, not just the GFL. Based on some of the behavior I've seen, I think it should be around 30.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord
I'm in agreement on an age requirement for all UC's, not just the GFL. Based on some of the behavior I've seen, I think it should be around 30.
How about 50
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
How about 50
No, that would keep me out for a few more years, and I just renewed my membership!
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
instead I got to listen to two half drunk guys screaming at Donald Trump on the TV explaining why second is really first - or my personal favorite - the South American business man on a three hour conference call practically yelling every time he spoke...

Maybe I'd prefer the kids...
Ugh, I'd prefer the kids for sure.

I think what OP is saying, and the point I agree with is that irregardless of their access to the GF lounge there are some places that aren't suitable for kids and a quite GF lounge may be one of those places. Obviously a lot of this depends on the kids and their temperament which also goes back to the parents but I remember traveling GF when I was a kid and being scared straight into minding my manors like we were in a flying church .
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, that would keep me out for a few more years, and I just renewed my membership!
Well, ok. Whatever age you are is the youngest.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:53 pm

I totally get this - except IME age isn't usually the causal factor - it seems to be:

1. Alcohol consumption
2. Length of UA delay / number of delays experienced in past week
3. Number of years travelling (the more years the worse behavior seems to be)
4. Alcohol consumption
5. DYKWIA
6. Upgrade status on prior flight - if upgraded Alcohol is free and therefore filters are off
7. Age (under 30 and over 50 seem to be most respectful)
8. Alcohol
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:29 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, *G, etc.
I totally get this - except IME age isn't usually the causal factor - it seems to be:

1. Alcohol consumption
2. Length of UA delay / number of delays experienced in past week
3. Number of years travelling (the more years the worse behavior seems to be)
4. Alcohol consumption
5. DYKWIA
6. Upgrade status on prior flight - if upgraded Alcohol is free and therefore filters are off
7. Age (under 30 and over 50 seem to be most respectful)
8. Alcohol
9. Limes.
10. Cashew bits
11. FlyerTalk Bag Tag
12. Ostrich Pillow
13. Limes.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by jclarke
9. Limes.
10. Cashew bits
11. FlyerTalk Bag Tag
12. Ostrich Pillow
13. Limes.
14. Skittles - yes they are back...
15. Alcohol
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
or my personal favorite - the South American business man on a three hour conference call practically yelling every time he spoke...
This one kills me. The whole reason we invented the phone was so you wouldn't have to scream at people far away.

Back on topic: as for an age limit, no. Most kids are fine, and the lack of an age limit doesn't preclude common sense rules (e.g. no blasting Dora the Explorer; you shouldn't be allowed to do that at any age).
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
SFO GFL had an older couple face timing their son in Manila without head phones or any sort of vocal awareness.

At least Dora is entertaining...
Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Dora

The Dora move was the best - they set up the IPad on the table and attached portable speakers to it - the very nice Irish lady sitting next to me just got up and left to complain immediately - it is all about being considerate - it is the holidays here in Asia so I am just chalking it up to that time of year - and yes I have seen very well behaved children in the lounges - the united reps did a great job in this situation - they are the answer not age limits or other restrictions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.