Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reintroducing Early Boarding for Families with Children

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is the change to early boarding for families w/children 2 or under a good move by UA?
Like the change and it will improve boarding time
9.68%
Like the change but it will not improve boarding time
9.01%
Dislike the change but it will improve boarding time
2.15%
Dislike the change and it will not improve boarding time
61.02%
Could support a different change and it will improve boarding time
3.09%
Could support a different change but it will not improve boarding time
2.96%
Neutral but it will improve boarding times
2.02%
Neutral but it will not improve boarding times
10.08%
Voters: 744. You may not vote on this poll

Reintroducing Early Boarding for Families with Children

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dank0014
I think that is the biggest frustration. By no means do they have to individually respond to me, but they could have responded on this thread - even if it was an acknowledgement. You don't normally get this much conversation and just completely go radio silent on your customers like this. That is just poor customer service. It is not fair of UA to just use this board to announce something and leverage it as an aspect of social media and then just quit the game right after they post. If you engage your audience and basically open the lines of communication, you have to be prepared to communicate back. If they are telling us they are going to do a better job of customer service and communicating with us, then this situation is not quite holding up to that.
They put the word out in news releases very soon after (if not at the same time) it was posted here. UA can't easily walk back the announcement (no matter how dumb and ill-conceived it was). UA is incapable of managing this at the gate, as has already been demonstrated today.

Pretty frustrating that United seemed to be getting a clue and then they revert to ham-handed, shallow-thought decision making. I really wish UA would listen more to their more frequent flyers. Every time abuse is witnessed and allowed by UA gate staff, they will have dozens of people looking on with reactions ranging from annoyance to seething anger. Good way to forge a positive relationship!

The policy looks like it has been set and UA doesn't see an upside to try to convince us that their reasoning isn't the bullstuff it is.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 2, 2016 at 10:18 pm
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:53 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
I'm not a fan of the decision either but except for a few markets (leisure for most,) I think the majority of you are blowing this way out of perportion. Excluding the nightmare of MCO or other beach destination, I would bet that the quantity of families with children under 3 is a a few percent. If you travel often to MCO, o any beach/cruise destination, those numbers will be much greater, But I average around 1 infant on most RJs I board. During Christmas and other holidays where people with kids travel together, it shoots up, but for 85% of the year, the volumes are consistently low.

The sky is NOT falling.

By the way, an echo to the fact that the opinion of FT is a microcosm of reality, I can say that when I do turn away either a) military NOT in uniform from pre-boarding or B) families with small children from doing it, I get jeers from most of boarding groups 1 and 2, who have consistently lined up blocking the disabled and GS from getting thru to preboard. If FT was a true sample of those in groups 1 and 2, I would say, that a) they are not, and b) most sympathize with families, and military not in uniform.

FT isn't a representative sample of frequent flyers, it is a sample of flyers whose spare time revolves around airline status and it's perks. Most "road warriors" use their status when necessary, and then don't think about it until their next flight is being booked. It doesn't define most people who fly frequently and they aren't bothered by 30 extra seconds of waiting a couple of times per week.

Sorry to be harsh, but these are the facts as I see them. YMMV

Last edited by fastair; Feb 3, 2016 at 6:57 am
Old Feb 2, 2016, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The fact remains, this was a controversial decision, poorly thought out, and the implementation will be a mess as gate agents allow "toddlers" as old as 16 board with their parents - as repeated upthread, places like MCO will be ground zero in the upcoming Boarding Wars, and if you think elite customers are "entitled", just wait until mobs of Disboard card-carrying soccermoms start shoving the entire G1 line out of their way with their middle and high school aged kids in tow, or just mowing everyone down with their strollers.
I've held my tongue on this one since the beginning of the thread, but looking at this, I find it really disappointing to know that >60% of the voters are apparently spoiled brats.

I traveled for a good number of years as a PremEx and 1K before I had kids, several years as a PremEx and 1K when I had kids eligible for preboarding, and now as a 1K with kids who are too old for preboarding.

Never did I find myself overly inconvenienced or materially disadvantaged by reason of families preboarding with children.

I've found the boarding process to be far worse after they did away with preboarding of families, i.e., it is atrocious whether families preboard or not.

I did, however, take advantage of preboarding when my kids were little, particularly because we traveled with car seats or special seat-belt straps that required time and room to maneuver and install. There's no way to install a large car seat in a window or center seat when the other seat(s) in the seatset are occupied. If there was someone already seated when we arrived, they were basically forced to stand-up if they wanted to avoid being accidentally struck with a car seat.

This thread is now 21 pages full of people whose principal complaint with this policy is that they don't feel as special as they used to be, because they might be the 15th or 16th person to board, instead of the 6th or 8th. Who are the spoiled children now?

Meanwhile, this is a real tangible benefit to the families that are getting to preboard.

If you're based in MCO or fly out of there regularly, you've got a real grievance. I do feel bad for you, because this policy change will really, truly suck for you. For others, this is the worst sort of DYKWIA.

Greg
Old Feb 2, 2016, 11:50 pm
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Germans tend to follow (and enforce) rules to the letter. I'm sure LH agents turn away kids who are 1-day too old. I doubt UA gate agents would.

Lufthansa originates from a land where even hoodlums stand on the right side of escalators and only drive in the passing lane when they actually need to pass (amazing, no?). So there's really no comparing them with a U.S. carrier.
Not to get off topic - but this is simply not true. From having now lived in Germany for close to 2 years there are many rules which get broken.

I do not know how LH manages the process well for their flights. Maybe UA can ask them, assuming they are not on strike that week.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
I just emailed 1K voice this. Let's see what response I get.

I just heard about the changes taking effect on 2/15/16 where families will be allowed to board first. I find this unacceptable. I have been loyal to United for years but this might make me consider choosing another airline without a similar policy and here is why:

1. Families take a long time. This will delay boarding. Screaming, bratty children should be last and not first.

2. They will put their bags in First class and no one will enforce this policy. I fly almost always in First and I will be beyond aggravated if a coach passenger's bag is in the overhead above me.

3. This will be abused. Teenagers will be considered "families" and will be boarding first. Gate agents are not going to delay boarding to argue with passengers over children's ages.

4. Loyalty. What is the point of paying for a premium cabin or getting status? Anyone can just get someone pregnant, pop out a child, and then preboard. It is not something that should be recognized and given a privilege. Military and the disabled deserve the time for their service to this country or genuine need.

This needs to change before it starts and First class, Global Services, and 1K need to board before them.

I am very disappointed by this change. This might be the worst news to come out of the merger overall. I hope that enough people write to complain and that United changes course.
Holy crap, now I get it!
I never really knew what Smi/J meant by "over entitled elites" before this....
What a letter!

1. No, families typically are in the back of the bus. The get on, move back, and out of your hair, since you fly in First.

2. No, they will put their bags in the closest spot to their seat, since the child will inevitably need several items that have been packed away.

3. No, it wont take much at all for a GA to say "under two only!" Three year olds may get away with this crime, but teens ... No.

4. Yes! I suspect there will be a dramatic increase in the birth rate when kettles realize that they can get away with this. Pop, pop, pop!
FYI, it's not recognition and privilege, it's nearly necessity.

(And, just slightly off topic, exactly why should perfectly able military personnel jump the line? How about Cops? Firefighters? Teachers? )

If this is " the worst news to come out of the merger overall" ... well, you and I have slightly different priorities.

Enjoyed this thread, but didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
The proof of the pudding.....
Old Feb 3, 2016, 5:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bobbysfca
Holy crap, now I get it!
I never really knew what Smi/J meant by "over entitled elites" before this....
What a letter!

1. No, families typically are in the back of the bus. The get on, move back, and out of your hair, since you fly in First.

2. No, they will put their bags in the closest spot to their seat, since the child will inevitably need several items that have been packed away.

3. No, it wont take much at all for a GA to say "under two only!" Three year olds may get away with this crime, but teens ... No.

4. Yes! I suspect there will be a dramatic increase in the birth rate when kettles realize that they can get away with this. Pop, pop, pop!
FYI, it's not recognition and privilege, it's nearly necessity.
If only there were some truth to this post, you might convince me.

1. I mainly fly in the back of the bus too. 90% of the time when I don't buy F.
2. Their seat is next to mine. Sat next to a crying baby on Monday ORD-AUS.
3. Maybe. I agree it won't be teens.
4. It's not necessity. It's worked fine for years. UA is going to need to start boarding earlier now at leisure destinations.

"Over-entitled" has become a way to name-call and demean anyone who disagrees with UA.

All I ask as someone who flies UA typically between 70-90 flights per year is that I get E+ when available, and I get my bag up near my seat so I can get to my meeting on time or home a little faster after a really long day. I see this change as threatening the latter. And if they don't board earlier to accommodate it, I have less chance of getting where I'm going on time.

Boarding before once a year vacationers, whether they have children or not, was a privilege UA provided me based on being a loyal customer. Now they're changing it. Over-entitled is asking for things one doesn't deserve or didn't earn. Reminds me a little of the people who, over the last few years, ive observed asking if they could board early because they have small children.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Here's an idea. Since you're allowed to board with someone with a higher boarding group, just find a young mother with a couple young children and offer to carry some of her bags/car seats, so you can board when she does. Then on the plane, drop the bags at the divider between F and Y, take your seat, and get to work. Everyone wins! (That's assuming you don't get tackled by other passengers in the boarding area and led away in handcuffs.)
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Here's an idea. Since you're allowed to board with someone with a higher boarding group, just find a young mother with a couple young children and offer to carry some of her bags/car seats, so you can board when she does. Then on the plane, drop the bags at the divider between F and Y, take your seat, and get to work. Everyone wins! (That's assuming you don't get tackled by other passengers in the boarding area and led away in handcuffs.)
This is already being done with "Special Needs" boarding. Saw it at DCA two weeks ago. From Group 3 to Early Boarding in one helpful gesture.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
The proof of the pudding.....
Over time, three things will happen:

1. The change results in higher revenues and profit margins, which means the change was ultimately beneficial for shareholders and will continue in its correct form.

2. Enough paid F fares defect to competitors along with some Elite attrition to decrease avg rev/pax, where the policy will be reversed, again.

3. No effect on avg rev/pax. In this case, it would be prudent to keep the policy, if only for PR purposes.

In my estimation, for the paid F business traveler, it makes to sense to fly UA when traveling with young children, but opt for more "business friendly" carriers in any other scenario.

Let's see how this plays out.

Last edited by Visconti; Feb 3, 2016 at 9:52 am Reason: spelling
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by enviroian
This thread, this post represents probably 1% of UA's customers. Don't expect a redaction. If they do please feed me crow.
But didn't you know? Anecdotal "evidence" as to the relative numbers of elites year over year based on upgrades and boarding group lines are bunk, but anecdotal evidence regarding the pain and suffering caused to high elites by crying babies, entitled and indifferent parents, and obnoxious and boisterous kids are true and incontrovertible facts that apparently happen every other flight, particularly that one time you absolutely must get some work done and some poor schlub with a stroller, carseat, diaper bag, and a herd of 5 children, a nanny, and grandparents are slowing you down and costing you a million dollar deal.

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
More babies on this thread than trying to preboard.
Literally laughed out loud at this one.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
But didn't you know? Anecdotal "evidence" as to the relative numbers of elites year over year based on upgrades and boarding group lines are bunk, but anecdotal evidence regarding the pain and suffering caused to high elites by crying babies, entitled and indifferent parents, and obnoxious and boisterous kids are true and incontrovertible facts that apparently happen every other flight, particularly that one time you absolutely must get some work done and some poor schlub with a stroller, carseat, diaper bag, and a herd of 5 children, a nanny, and grandparents are slowing you down and costing you a million dollar deal.
Well, I suppose this person would have a Million reasons just as important as the parents with children to board the plane early, right? Herein lies the difference. The former anticipating his needs will pay the cost for F, while the latter expects it as a courtesy free of charge.

Which is more entitled behavior? Seriously?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Visconti
Well, I suppose this person would have a Million reasons just as important as the parents with children to board the plane early, right? Herein lies the difference. The former anticipating his needs will pay the cost for F, while the latter expects it as a courtesy free of charge.

Which is more entitled behavior? Seriously?
The point is that FT is not a particularly good barometer of the general populace, or even of the elite populace.

And, as a rule, I'd say that FT'ers are far more entitled than your average elite or parent traveling with kids.

At the end of the day, we just like to hear ourselves type. Randall Munroe had it right about us.

Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1K
My kids are older now, but I certainly went through many years travelling with kids under 2. Frankly, pre-boarding was the last thing we ever wanted to do. Much better to hang out in the relative comfort of the airport for as long as possible, before getting the kids cooped up in a thin metal tube.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by greg99

This thread is now 21 pages full of people whose principal complaint with this policy is that they don't feel as special as they used to be, because they might be the 15th or 16th person to board, instead of the 6th or 8th. Who are the spoiled children now?

But that is exactly something UA fails to monetize compared to competitors. It's definitely something that drives purchase decisions and makes the life of road warrior slightly more tolerable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.