Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Codeshare on Germanwings- Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Codeshare on Germanwings- Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sannmann
Update: After 40 minutes on the phone with the Premier desk, the rate desk, and web support, issue seems to have been corrected. The ticket was reissued with the LHR-STR segment in D class as a non-codeshare. Pulled up the itinerary on the Germanwings website, where it now shows me in row 1. Very annoying that United's systems do not talk well with Germanwings' systems.

Bottom line: Germanwings cannot see you're supposed to be in Business class if you're booked as a UA codeshare.
Good to see you got it fixed though your bottom line isn't always the case as I've not had issues with my UA J ticket booking into BEST.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Originally Posted by sannmann
Update: After 40 minutes on the phone with the Premier desk, the rate desk, and web support, issue seems to have been corrected. The ticket was reissued with the LHR-STR segment in D class as a non-codeshare. Pulled up the itinerary on the Germanwings website, where it now shows me in row 1. Very annoying that United's systems do not talk well with Germanwings' systems.

Bottom line: Germanwings cannot see you're supposed to be in Business class if you're booked as a UA codeshare.
Good to see you got it fixed though your bottom line isn't always the case as I've not had issues with my UA J ticket booking into BEST.
Which fare code? Perhaps it's only a problem with P class not automatically booking into BEST.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 2, 2016 at 3:26 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:14 am

Just checked my old reservation from this past July and EWR-LHR was P and LHR-TXL was J.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
I flew IST-STuggart-LHR in August. I was didn't have any problem getting the bulkhead. I was the only one in this cabin.

You get to have as many items off the menu as you want. The cabin crew was very nice.

When I got to Stutgard I learned the truth 4U system does not communicate with most of the other airlines. Take could not issue me a boarding pass.

Luggage did not arrive with me in London. The baggage department says this is a regular occurrence. It took dozens of calls and over 2 weeks to get my bags in the US. One bag was damaged and their process of compensation wasn't worth it.

LH sent most of their intra-Europe flights to these folks but none of LH systems went with them.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Many problems with flying 4U out to Germany to connect to another carrier across the pond.

With 4U BEST fares, you are limited to 2 bags .... even if the majority of your flight (for example, LHR-US) is in F and you are allowed 3 bags. 4U does not know anything about the orange priority tags -- so I always carry them with me and ask them to attach them. (I got a blank stare!) It may be a code share with UA ... it may be a subsidiary of LH ... it may be whatever .... but 4U is not part of the *A and they do not seem to know or recognize any of the benefits.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
I'm flying later this month SFO-LHR on UA (P) and then LHR-TXL on Germanwings. My UA record shows the UA codeshare to be booked in "Economy (Z)". When I log in to the Germanwings site with the U4 confirmation code, my record comes up but I'm unable to see anything about what class of service I am booked in or what seat I have been assigned to. Any suggestions? Is it even worthwhile to speak with UA about this?

I'm also planning to carry on my small 22" rollaboard suitcase, and I'm guessing I'll have just a little more than 8 kg of weight in it. Will this present a problem? After what I've read on this board, I'm worried about checking it at the gate in LHR and not having it show up in baggage claim at TXL. Would I do better just checking it at SFO? I'd certainly prefer just to keep it with me.

My connection in LHR is 90 minutes. Any red flags there? I know I'll need to go through passport control.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fzwinter
I'm flying later this month SFO-LHR on UA (P) and then LHR-TXL on Germanwings. My UA record shows the UA codeshare to be booked in "Economy (Z)". When I log in to the Germanwings site with the U4 confirmation code, my record comes up but I'm unable to see anything about what class of service I am booked in or what seat I have been assigned to. Any suggestions? Is it even worthwhile to speak with UA about this?

I'm also planning to carry on my small 22" rollaboard suitcase, and I'm guessing I'll have just a little more than 8 kg of weight in it. Will this present a problem? After what I've read on this board, I'm worried about checking it at the gate in LHR and not having it show up in baggage claim at TXL. Would I do better just checking it at SFO? I'd certainly prefer just to keep it with me.

My connection in LHR is 90 minutes. Any red flags there? I know I'll need to go through passport control.
Eco(Z) on a UA code? That makes no sense. Maybe coach(Z) with UA's IT issues, but on UA codeshare it should not show Eco(Z). If you can select seats in rows 1-3 on EW/4U you are all set ... that is the best way to tell.
90 mins is a o.k., but I would not go shorter than that ... long walks in LHR in addition to security etc. Of you are booked in the front your bag should be fine ... would not worry about it.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
Eco(Z) on a UA code? That makes no sense. Maybe coach(Z) with UA's IT issues, but on UA codeshare it should not show Eco(Z). If you can select seats in rows 1-3 on EW/4U you are all set ... that is the best way to tell.
90 mins is a o.k., but I would not go shorter than that ... long walks in LHR in addition to security etc. Of you are booked in the front your bag should be fine ... would not worry about it.
Thanks for the feedback. That's good news about the bag.

I don't seem to have any way to select seats or see what seat I have been assigned to on-line.

Here's what I see on my UA reservation:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
UAitin.pdf (13.9 KB, 46 views)
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:50 pm

What matters, as said, is where you can select seats on the Germanwings site. What's going on there? Also it should tell you the fare/class which would be BEST on that.
I've connected UA-4U at LHR a few times. They've never done anything with carry-ons on my flights (though no one seemed in egregious violation). 90 min is fine if you're on time you can even get a bite/drink on the LH lounge.
You'll arrive in T2B and have to make the looooong (20 min normal walking pace) trek under the tarmac to T2B where you'll go through transit security, have a BP check and then be dumped out into departure area.
I had a UA flight that was late turning my connection to 40 min. I "Home Alone'd" it though the airport and made the flight. My bag had to come on the next one and was delivered to my hotel about 90 min after that flight arrived.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
What matters, as said, is where you can select seats on the Germanwings site. What's going on there? Also it should tell you the fare/class which would be BEST on that.
I've connected UA-4U at LHR a few times. They've never done anything with carry-ons on my flights (though no one seemed in egregious violation). 90 min is fine if you're on time you can even get a bite/drink on the LH lounge.
You'll arrive in T2B and have to make the looooong (20 min normal walking pace) trek under the tarmac to T2B where you'll go through transit security, have a BP check and then be dumped out into departure area.
I had a UA flight that was late turning my connection to 40 min. I "Home Alone'd" it though the airport and made the flight. My bag had to come on the next one and was delivered to my hotel about 90 min after that flight arrived.
Thanks for the info. Just got off the phone with Eurowings - They've got me all set in "BEST" with seat 1A. Surprisingly easy, after what I've read on this board. Hopefully the seat will still be there when I check in
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fzwinter
Thanks for the feedback. That's good news about the bag.

I don't seem to have any way to select seats or see what seat I have been assigned to on-line.

Here's what I see on my UA reservation:
That is bizarre. Sounds like it is correct on the backend since you were able to get seat 1A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.