Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Faulty error message using online change flight to higher cabin -"no seats available"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Faulty error message using online change flight to higher cabin -"no seats available"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Ok, trying to change my first leg on a flight SFO-BOS

Getting the message:

! There are no First/BusinessFirst/International Business Class seats available on UA2396 in the San Francisco, CA, US (SFO) to Boston, MA, US (BOS) market.

Well the seat map for this flight is wide open but I'm getting the message for any flight I want to change to.

Tried First, Business etc but nada. Very frustrating.....
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
When is the flight? They've really screwed up the SFO-BOS flights in the system since the schedule change starting September.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diburning
When is the flight? They've really screwed up the SFO-BOS flights in the system since the schedule change starting September.
September 22nd
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K
No F seats available when trying to change flight...

...but lots available on same flight when booking as new ticket.

I was booked on a flight SMF-IAH in mid- September, in F, on an A fare (paid). Tried to change the SMF-IAH leg to SAN-IAH, and there were no first class seats available on any flights the same date. Tried to get F the following day, and the next, then the preceding 3 days. Every attempt showed no F seats available SAN-IAH on any flight on any day, in any fare class.

Then I tried to book a new flight SAN-IAH on my original, preferred date; and 7 out of 10 seats were available. I grabbed what I wanted (again, on a paid A fare), and cancelled the original SMF-IAH flight.

My question is, since seats were available on my desired SAN-IAH flight, and since the fare classes were the same, and all fares in the itinerary were fully changeable and refundable, why did my attempt to change the SMF-IAH leg to SAN-IAH show no seats available, when they were clearly available when I booked a new flight? TIA for any insight.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alex
My question is, since seats were available on my desired SAN-IAH flight, and since the fare classes were the same, and all fares in the itinerary were fully changeable and refundable, why did my attempt to change the SMF-IAH leg to SAN-IAH show no seats available, when they were clearly available when I booked a new flight? TIA for any insight.
The online change tool works poorly, if at all. You would have been able to make this change by calling and paying the fare difference.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Actually the SAN-IAH flight is cheaper than the SMF-IAH leg, by a little over $500...
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alex
Actually the SAN-IAH flight is cheaper than the SMF-IAH leg, by a little over $500...
In that case, you would have received a refund of the fare difference. Point is -- online changes rarely work.
DutchessPDX likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:46 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Call.

I haven't even been able to get online changes to work the past 5 times or so I've needed them. I just get "Error! Please call United to make changes to this reservation."

Also, I have had this happen many times when trying to do a SDC. SDC won't offer F seats on the flights I want, even though the same fare buckets are available. Calling has always fixed it.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by exerda
Call.

I haven't even been able to get online changes to work the past 5 times or so I've needed them. I just get "Error! Please call United to make changes to this reservation."

Also, I have had this happen many times when trying to do a SDC. SDC won't offer F seats on the flights I want, even though the same fare buckets are available. Calling has always fixed it.
Same here. SDC on line hasn't worked in ages.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
Is that only when you're booked in F?

I last used it a few weeks ago and it worked fine for me. Simple DEN-ORD that I moved up by about 18 hours.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
worked fine for me a few weeks ago on a transcon Z fare
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Try it. If it does not work, then call. Simple.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Worked for me in F on Friday. During OLCI.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
No F seats available during OLCI last night, only Y seats so kept original flights.

I was able to call in and change to earlier "F" flight and grabbed last seats. No fare difference.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Aug 21, 2017 at 11:06 am
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Any chance this is a /UPDI fare so the change shows only the underlying booking cabin of economy? I've faced similar with other airlines as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.