Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will united bring back IFE

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Will united bring back IFE

Will united ever bring back IFE? I was just reading about Jet Blue offering "gate to gate" wifi and 10" HD TV's in the back of each seat. Man that sounds like a good experience.

I know they offer streaming service but i like to do both. I like to watch a movie and use my iPad for internet things at the same time. so using my iPad for movies isn't really what i'm looking for.

Do we think UA will upgrade their economy experience and provide built in IFE?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Extremely unlikely.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 9:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
^^ Because they decided to go with "Streaming entertainment".
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:02 pm
Original Member

I would just like consistency across the mainline fleet.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Although the beefier selection (whole past seasons! classic films!) makes me a fan, I do see the loss of seatback monitors as concerning.

Two questions for the UA mob:
- Will other carriers (US? int'l?) follow this trend?
- Will carriers split having monitors by class? (cattle = use yer iPad, J/F = welcome to your seatback IMAX!)
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I am in the "its stupid to have taken off IFE, and will cost them business not to mention cheapen their reputation" camp, others think it is savvy to save every penny UA can squeeze.

That said, Having bought seats that came w/o the IFE package, it would be EXTREMELY expensive to put it in, requiring new seats (not a bad thing in the case of the awful Slimlined Recardos on the Airbus) or at least seat backs, plus all of the electrical stuff. So we are talking a lot of $$$. I don't see United doing this, and unfortunately (for those condemned to fly UA) I think United will be stuck w/o IFE for a long time.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:32 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
So guess I'm really in the minority here. I can see the point to seatback entertainment for TATL & TPAC, but domestically, I think streaming entertainment is great. I'm getting the same selection I'd get on the best (for Y) over-water offerings, and it remembers where I left off from one flight to the next. If I want to work and watch a movie, I can stream to my iPhone and work on my laptop. Add to that much better resolution than most of the seat-back systems, and I think you've got a winning combo.

I think, for the price (free), it's a great offering. If/when they decide to monetize it, I might think differently.

One word of advice- get an inexpensive gadget to recharge your iPhone or iPad. Make sure it's got a 2amp output; most only put out 1amp, and there's a huge difference in how long it takes to charge your gadget. Here's the unit I've used for a couple of years. I bought mine from Fry's for $20. With one of these, you still get to use your phone as a phone when you get to your destination.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
So guess I'm really in the minority here.
No. I am actually with you on this.

Seatback IFE has a disadvantage - you are poking the seat in front of you. Some people find this annoying, which I have experienced.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:59 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
So guess I'm really in the minority here.

I agree with you. Streaming is great for a number of reasons, especially that it will save where you left off in your epsiode flight to flight. Makes it really easy to finish movies.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 1:33 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I actually wish planes didn't have wifi.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:39 am

Having an IFE is great cause it gives me more space so I can do stuff (watch a movie while eating or working on the laptop). I just wish I could stream my movies to the screen (easily) from my own device.

It also is convenient cause I don't have to lug 3-4 iPads on family trips.

Maybe they'll bring them back but I highly doubt it.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
Two questions for the UA mob:
- Will other carriers (US? int'l?) follow this trend?
- Will carriers split having monitors by class? (cattle = use yer iPad, J/F = welcome to your seatback IMAX!)
HA will not install seatback screens on new A321s that will operate to the US. Alaska and Southwest never had seatback IFE and will just offer streaming. Virgin America hasn't announced its NEO configuration and there's some talk it will be streaming. AA is also not committed to IFE domestically. Up in Canada, both major airlines are going to shift to streaming IFE.

I don't ever see an airline splitting availability by class, though content could be different, like on Delta.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
The only seat back IFE that makes sense is Live DirecTV.

Also, I see no issue at all on having DirecTV only in F & E+ in order to further differentiate it from E-. And to take differentiation on step further, why not allow GS & 1K stuck in E+ the ability to swipe their MP card for free DirecTV, in the manner that GS & 1K are given 1 free drink & snack in Y now.

Other than that, the current streaming is fine and should standardized across the fleet.

Just make the Internet access more reliable & gate to gate instead of shutting in down 20 minutes before landing so that those of us who paid for it get our full money's worth.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
United's streaming doesn't work with my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone, so I can't watch anything unless I carry another device ( WiFi won't stay connected for more than a couple of minutes - See thread here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26015298-post203.html ).

I also like the moving map.

However, I suspect neither of those reasons are sufficient for UA to spend millions to retrofit their aircraft

There's also the issue of aircraft weight, which I'm sure comes into every calculation.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by fly18725
Alaska and Southwest never had seatback IFE and will just offer streaming.
Alaska distributes handheld DigiPlayers loaded with current media -- free in F, $10 in coach.

As for streaming, I am concerned about security and do not download random apps to my own device(s). I'll just say I've been warned by friends in the cybersecurity biz about vulnerabilities of airline streaming environments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.