Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should UA Pressure Star Alliance Partners to Move from JFK to EWR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold

This fall, UA closed its operation at JFK and moved all of its p.s. flights to EWR. The reason these flights had been at JFK in the first place was because most of the Star Alliance carriers that fly to NYC fly to JFK, and those passengers going to SFO or LAX would be able to connect to a UA flight with a lie flat bed seat. Now that UA is out of JFK, should the Star Alliance carriers who fly to JFK but not EWR (so that excludes Lufthansa, Austrian, Air Canada) move their flights to EWR or add a flight to EWR to enable connections to hundreds of destinations?

All Nippon Airways - Doesn't really matter. ANA codeshares on UA's flight from NRT-EWR, so any connecting passengers can take that flight.

Asiana Airlines - Leaning towards yes... Asiana wants to create a JV with UA (and maybe AC and/or NH), so strengthening its UA relationship by flying to one of its hubs wouldn't hurt. UA also doesn't fly nonstop EWR-ICN, so UA could feed the route as well. On the other hand, Asiana already codeshares with JetBlue for connecting passengers at JFK, but still...

Avianca - Doesn't really matter. UA currently flies from EWR to all of the places they fly from JFK, but moving to EWR would mean connecting passengers can take their flight.

Brussels Airlines - Doesn't really matter. They already codeshare on the EWR-BRU flight, but moving to EWR would mean connecting passengers can take their flight.

Copa Airlines - Doesn't really matter. They already codeshare on the EWR-PCY flight, but moving to EWR would mean connecting passengers can take their flight.

EgyptAir - Yes, they should. JFK is the final destination for all their passengers, and flying to EWR would enable connecting to all the major cities in the US.

EVA Air - Yes, they should. JFK is the final destination for all their passengers, and flying to EWR would enable better connections to the east coast.

LOT Polish Airlines - Not really beneficial for them, but beneficial for UA. LOT codeshares with JetBlue to connect passengers at JFK, but UA does not fly to Poland. So if they moved to EWR, UA would be able to offer connections to Poland.

Singapore Airlines - Doesn't really matter. UA flies one-stop to SIN from EWR, so they wouldn't really be benefitting UA. And they codeshare with JetBlue, so no need for connecting flights. However, if they start a nonstop to SIN, flying to EWR would be beneficial for UA.

South African Airways - Not really beneficial for them, but beneficial for UA. SAA codeshares with JetBlue at JFK, but flying to EWR would let UA be able to offer nonstop service to JNB (which they really should be able to do themselves honestly), as SAA's flight from IAD has one stop.

Turkish Airlines - Not really beneficial for them, but beneficial for UA. LOT codeshares with JetBlue to connect passengers at JFK, but UA does not fly to Istanbul. So a flight to EWR would enable UA to connect passengers to IST.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
EWR is a bad airport as it is. I understand this is overall not that many extra flights, but I wonder if this clunker can take the extra load.

I am not saying JFK is an excellent airport. Just that EWR sucks.

This may play well for United in most cases. But for its partners, as you said, not so sure. I wouldn't budge. New York is a big city, I would imagine lots of people flying these airlines to NYC end in NYC, and not transfer. Other, perhaps more logical/somewhat easier transfer points such as Chicago and Washington Dulles already exist.

My two cent.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
They can try as much as they want. No self-respecting international airline would give up JFK for EWR.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:37 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Should UA collude to limit competition at JFK and align their competitors with their interests at EWR?

Probably not, if we want this CEO to last.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by glx
Should UA collude to limit competition at JFK and align their competitors with their interests at EWR?

Probably not, if we want this CEO to last.
Well they do have antitrust immunity with some of those carriers -- https://www.transportation.gov/sites...0Alliances.pdf
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
The PS flights weren't at JFK to make UA-*A connections. They were there because there's a large market for paid F between NYC and SFO/LAX, especially LAX.

That said, as already mentioned, JFK is far, far superior to EWR for international flights if you're going into NYC.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by catocony
They were there because there's a large market for paid F between NYC and SFO/LAX, especially LAX.
Make that "there was a large market".
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
To add to the list: TAP Portugal. Currently only serving EWR, just announced that starting June 2016 will serve JFK too. If anything this is going against UA's wishes.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
And where would these airlines park their airplanes? There aren't enough gates at EWR to handle a bank of arrivals and departures from mid-afternoon to late-evening if another dozen flights moved over from JFK. Some STAR airlines operate from both airports but others feel the majority of their passengers originate in the NYC area and JFK is more convenient. Many fly to other US gateways where they can hand off passengers to UA (or AC). A few now have codeshares with JetBlue at JFK. Not to mention the Port Authority wants to keep balance at all three of its major airports.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
I have not used UA via EWR since the move and only when I had to prior. I will either transit another hub or fly another carrier. UA and EWR are a marriage made for each other. Why drag other carriers down?

Last edited by zebranz; Jan 24, 2016 at 9:57 pm
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DA201
The reason these flights had been at JFK in the first place was because most of the Star Alliance carriers that fly to NYC fly to JFK, and those passengers going to SFO or LAX would be able to connect to a UA flight with a lie flat bed seat.
Is this the true reason? Seems like a false premise to me.

Might have been one reason UA flew out of JFK, but certainly not the only reason. If it was, why would they have moved everything to EWR.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
I was always skeptical of the belief that p.s. was full of connecting Star passengers. If you're based in LAX or SFO, you have much, much better options to get to Asia than to try to connect in JFK (or now EWR). If you are trying to do west coast-Europe on a Star carrier, it is true that you can't do it through JFK or EWR anymore, but a lot of those carriers also serve IAD and ORD. I think your best options now are to connect at IAD, or, regrettably, use UA metal at EWR. I don't think Star carriers are going to ever move en masse from JFK to EWR.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by DA201
The reason these flights had been at JFK in the first place was because most of the Star Alliance carriers that fly to NYC fly to JFK, and those passengers going to SFO or LAX would be able to connect to a UA flight with a lie flat bed seat.
When you start with a false premise it is very easy to get mired in incorrect outcomes. This is not why the JFK service existed. For the carriers where UA has JV immunity they also either served SFO/LAX directly (e.g. LH) or would route onward connections over other connecting points. JFK traffic for the foreign carriers are most O/D at the NYC end, not onward connecting.

Beyond that, *A is not really an alliance deigned to coordinate all operations at all hubs. It is about marketing but not really about putting all connecting opportunities at the same place. Even if Avianca wants to allow onward connections on UA metal the two would have to agree on terms for splitting fares on interline itineraries or just sell the end-on-end. The former has economic costs to the carriers and the latter is usually too expensive for the passenger.

ETA: Remember that UA wants you to fly on UA or its JV partner, not OALs. Even *A members.

Last edited by sbm12; Jan 24, 2016 at 7:25 pm
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:28 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
No self-respecting international airline would give up JFK for EWR.
This. Since 2014 under $misek regime I refused to fly UA at all as I believed UA would not send me to destination on time and/or treat me reasonably in IRROPS. While I tried to accumulate miles within *A as much as possible, B6/VX had my domestic flights. So to me there is no use if UA pressure *A partners moving to EWR.

Not that I object to EWR, but any UA's plan forcing me to use UA to connect domestically simply means switching to another *A TPAC flight which goes to JFK.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Mostly agree with the other posters. Putting aside the physical & slot limitations (which are significant) UA has very little leverage with the other carriers in *A, and I also believe that the charged fees at EWR are substantially higher than JFK. UA made its decision - I see little likelihood that anyone will move from JFK to EWR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.