Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United does not need to compete in Newark?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United does not need to compete in Newark?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ocn2ocn
And you are finding R inventory which you can upgrade using regional upgrades? ....
as mentioned earlier
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Hardly am at 6/7 for the past 6 months --- tight yes but with 2 at booking, 1 in advance, 1 forced just before check in, 2 via SDC and one failure --- flights at typical 8-10 AM departure times, departure days across the entire week.. Another 5 were purchased P.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT
as mentioned earlier
Are these out of SFO or LAX? I'm wondering if SFO has more availability because of more frequent flights and some larger aircraft with bigger cabins?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:23 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Are these out of SFO or LAX? I'm wondering if SFO has more availability because of more frequent flights and some larger aircraft with bigger cabins?
These were ex-SFO but historically LAX has been easier. I have been known to route thru LAX to get space and a few extra PQMs but have not tried that this year, so no recent experience.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
These were ex-SFO but historically LAX has been easier. I have been known to route thru LAX to get space and a few extra PQMs but have not tried that this year, so no recent experience.
Agree. LAX has consistently been the easier upgrade. UA is so much weaker there than at SFO.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Agree. LAX has consistently been the easier upgrade. UA is so much weaker there than at SFO.
I think that has changed since the elimination of the JFK routes -- LAX is still far weaker than SFO, but much fewer flights and smaller aircraft with the smaller businessfirst cabins. I'm actually seeing more R space available with connections through SFO.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
IME west is also easier than east. The presence of actual redeyes increases demand for lie-flats.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
The presence of actual redeyes increases demand for lie-flats.
Especially for the weekly commute traffic that has always been prevalent on this route.

We like the red-eyes for the quick weekend visit. Took the post-midnight SFO departure last time, and it was perfect.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver
Especially for the weekly commute traffic that has always been prevalent on this route.

We like the red-eyes for the quick weekend visit. Took the post-midnight SFO departure last time, and it was perfect.
Agreed. I love that post-midnight flight because I am just about getting tired enough to sleep. If I take a 10pm that gets in really early, I need an hour or two just to get sleepy enough to fall asleep.

IMHO, those red eyes are the only way to do weekend trips without taking time off. Even the 5am flight gets in afternoon, killing half a day.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
As a data point, the last two flights EWR-SFO on Saturday 12/17 (which have been flirting with R constantly) both currently have open R. I tend to find RM likes to play games with making the R only available sporadically.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

The eastbound redeyes seem particularly difficult for any R space -- especially when they use the smaller cabin configuration.

Originally Posted by findark
As a data point, the last two flights EWR-SFO on Saturday 12/17 (which have been flirting with R constantly) both currently have open R. I tend to find RM likes to play games with making the R only available sporadically.
While that's encouraging, don't see anything like that in either direction for LAX that close to departure. Maybe because SFO has more flights and larger equipment?

Has anyone compared the availability of R inventory on the LAX route vs. the SFO route recently? Seems to be the opposite of what many of you are saying.

Originally Posted by SFO28L
The SFO/LAX-NYC is a single market. Lots of competition and the fares are competitive. You can fly business for ~1300 with flat beds and upgraded domestic service. Economy fares are also low/competitive with other trans con service. Upgrades are tough but not sure that is related to "competition"
Agree that economy fares are competitive on this route. Problem may be lack of supply of business class -- especially given the old Continental aircraft frequently used on the LAX route with smaller business class cabin with only 16 seats.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 14, 2016 at 11:14 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

R disappeared well before the move from JFK=>EWR. It is neither better nor worse than it was the last six months ps was JFK.

And pricing follows the market, just as before. JFK and EWR are the same market for purposes of t-con pricing.

Whether the switch to EWR makes it easier or harder for you to fly UA probably depends most on where you live.
Was able to get a $1300 roundtrip EWR-LAX for next week by booking about 30 days in advance -- a little better than recent experiences.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:43 pm

Was able to get a $1300 roundtrip EWR-LAX for next week by booking about 30 days in advance -- a little better than recent experiences.
I tried waitlisting an RPU on a completely empty cabin EWR-SFO but gave up after about three weeks and upfared to the P at $649.

Not a whiff of R on any flights my day of travel, despite P9 on about half of them.

It's counterintuitive, upgrades were relatively easy when the cheapest UA fare on SFO-NYC was ~3500 RT. Now that's it $1300, upgrades are virtually impossible.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
It's counterintuitive, upgrades were relatively easy when the cheapest UA fare on SFO-NYC was ~3500 RT. Now that's it $1300, upgrades are virtually impossible.
This is not counter-intuitive.

They've decided to monetize a far larger portion of the cabin.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
This is not counter-intuitive.
counterintuitive: "contrary to common-sense expectation."

Plentiful upgrades with a value of $1500 vs. no upgrades with a value of $500 would seem to me to fit that definition pretty neatly.

But perhaps you've just made up your own definition.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried waitlisting an RPU on a completely empty cabin EWR-SFO but gave up after about three weeks and upfared to the P at $649.

Not a whiff of R on any flights my day of travel, despite P9 on about half of them.
Heh, I watched R open on a same-day flight at T-28 days. I'm pretty sure RM was trolling me as I had even called to get an accurate count on the day's 772 (R0) before pulling the trigger on the 30-day P fare I would probably clear a Saturday if I rolled the dice but.. this is why I'm going to end the year with all the instruments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.