Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 4, 22, 1:56 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

The agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to the day of departure downgrades (due to overbooking of the cabin).
Downgrades due to advance schedule / aircraft changes and/or canceled flights (including the day of departure) are not eligible.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if a customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

If I was CPUed and then degraded, am I eligible for GG OVS compensation?
Yes if the downgrade occurred on the day of departure.

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.

Related thread: First Class Oversold - How does United decide who stays and who goes

Archived thread Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions,Compensation, etc.) [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 3, 22, 10:43 am

Programs: UA (1K, MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
If the promise isn’t in writing then assume the promise doesn’t exist
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
There is no way to get things like this resolved in a reasonable amount of time. It used to take a week or two. Nw (as I've seen) it can take months.
Sounds like being nice does not work nowadays. If you are in your assigned seat and the departure time is very close, customer service is motivated to act. Once you move, they do not seem to give a damn.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 3, 22, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by FreFly View Post
I wrote to 1K Voice over three days ago, but got no reply. Looks like customer service forgot about their promises after they got me out of my seat, and 1K Voice is not eager to get things right. Very disappointing. While there may have been a good reason for the downgrade, there is no excuse for customer service to break the promise, and for 1K Voice not to respond in a reasonable time.

What is the best way to get things resolved in reasonable time? It should take a few minutes to issue the certificate and refund PPs.

If there is no easy way to make customer service keep their promises, in a similar situation one should politely refuse to leave the seat until customer service mails the promised certificate.
They don't very often actually try to renege, so I don't believe you have to worry that the lack of something printed means you lose out.

But they can be quite disorganized as Xyzzy related, so it may require persistence and patience (which of course is silly).

I find email the route for dealing with these that requires least total minutes of attention from me, but it can be slow. If you want it dealt with sooner rather than later, phone is the best route.
Old Nov 3, 22, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
They don't very often actually try to renege, so I don't believe you have to worry that the lack of something printed means you lose out.

But they can be quite disorganized as Xyzzy related, so it may require persistence and patience (which of course is silly).

I find email the route for dealing with these that requires least total minutes of attention from me, but it can be slow. If you want it dealt with sooner rather than later, phone is the best route.
FWIW, I wrote a short description of what had happened, scanned both our upgraded and downgraded boarding passes, and sent it all off to 1k voice. Eventually I did get a response. I think I checked in twice in the interim and was told each time that they had a backlg.
Old Nov 3, 22, 12:30 pm

FWIW, I wrote a short description of what had happened, scanned both our upgraded and downgraded boarding passes, and sent it all off to 1k voice. Eventually I did get a response. I think I checked in twice in the interim and was told each time that they had a backlg.
That was my same approach when I was hit by a downgrade last year. For me it took about 3 weeks, and I got one strange reply saying sorry to disappoint and that's all (no compensation), then a couple of days later (with no other action from me) I got another reply apologizing with no apparent awareness of the other email and including the appropriate ETC.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 3, 22, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
The only time I've been downgraded from a confirmed F seat and was given the $500 spiel by the gate agent (which never materialized), I called the 1K line from my connection point and they sorted out the problem immediately. I had a $500 ETC in my account/inbox shortly thereafter.

OP: I would just call the 1K line who can easily see your reservation and see that you had a confirmed seat in first and that you were downgraded. The standard comp for this is $500 so there should be no issue getting it resolved on the spot.

-RM
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Nov 4, 22, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
OP: I would just call the 1K line who can easily see your reservation and see that you had a confirmed seat in first and that you were downgraded. The standard comp for this is $500 so there should be no issue getting it resolved on the spot.

-RM
What's the "standard cmp" for being downgraded from PP to Y on a 9hr flight? Asking for a friend...
Old Nov 4, 22, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
What's the "standard cmp" for being downgraded from PP to Y on a 9hr flight? Asking for a friend...
"You bought an Economy Plus ticket, we delivered what you paid for..."

Aircraft Swaps Resulting in PremPlus Downgrade, How handled? How should be handled?

I think they are getting somewhat better about it, but unclear if same amounts as GG OVS DOWNGRADE or if there is indeed a policy.
Old Nov 4, 22, 12:13 pm

-RM
Called 1K line, got transferred to customer service, who said it will take 1-2 weeks to get resolved. Curious to see if this will happen.
Old Nov 4, 22, 12:39 pm

Called 1K line, got transferred to customer service, who said it will take 1-2 weeks to get resolved. Curious to see if this will happen.
Bummer they didn't sort it for you on the spot. Keep on them. It will not take 2 weeks to fix this. If they haven't fixed it after a week call them back.

-RM
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Nov 14, 22, 12:11 am

Bummer they didn't sort it for you on the spot. Keep on them. It will not take 2 weeks to fix this. If they haven't fixed it after a week call them back.
-RM
After a week and a half, there is progress: I got a message from customer service that a certificate has been issued, and I can see it on my account. But PPs were not refunded.

Looks like United is doing hot-potato customer service. When I replied and pointed out that PPs were not refunded, my request has been forwarded to "Refunds". Not sure why the agent who issues the certificate could not also process the refund. Looks like the process of handling downgrades is broken.
Old Nov 14, 22, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
After a week and a half, there is progress: I got a message from customer service that a certificate has been issued, and I can see it on my account. But PPs were not refunded.

Looks like United is doing hot-potato customer service. When I replied and pointed out that PPs were not refunded, my request has been forwarded to "Refunds". Not sure why the agent who issues the certificate could not also process the refund. Looks like the process of handling downgrades is broken.
Different department that handles MP issues and CS issues
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 14, 22, 4:09 pm

Call the 1K line and ask to be transferred to the MileagePlus Service Center. They can handle a PP refund immediately. The refunds department is going to get you nowhere IMO.

-RM
Old Nov 14, 22, 11:56 pm

Call the 1K line and ask to be transferred to the MileagePlus Service Center. They can handle a PP refund immediately. The refunds department is going to get you nowhere IMO.
-RM
You may be right, but I can wait a couple weeks to get my PP refund, I'll see if the request customer service made will result in a refund. If not, I'll follow your advice.
Old Nov 24, 22, 8:01 am

You may be right, but I can wait a couple weeks to get my PP refund, I'll see if the request customer service made will result in a refund. If not, I'll follow your advice.
I did get PPs back within two weeks, after CS made the request to MP. The total processing time was a four weeks.

Looks like UA has rules for downgrade compensation, but no procedure. It is up to the customer to drive the process. This thread is very helpful, thanks to everybody who gave me advice.
Old Yesterday, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 2MM + 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
what's good compensation for a two-class downgrade when you're already on the plane?

Details:
  • Award travel tickets, premium transcon service with United Business, Premium Plus & Economy
  • Purchase: Aug 2022
  • Travel: Dec 2022
  • Route: EWR to SFO
  • Passenger: Mrs. SFO_71, also a 1K
  • Checked in at airport: 90 minutes prior to boarding

She boarded the plane and discovered someone else in her seat. No explanation other than "irregular operations" and then stuck her in E-.

At the start of boarding, they cleared a few upgrades into Business and Premium Plus, which makes no sense to me why they couldn't have moved someone else back to their original seat.

What's a decent ask for compensation? At a minimum, I'd think they'd need to refund the mileage delta between a Business seat and standard Economy. Should we ask for anything else? Mrs. SFO_71 was so nonplussed she just took the crappy seat. I'm sympathetic to true irregular operations like a switch of aircraft and a loss of a whole block of seats. This just seems like really bad day-of-travel management.

Many thanks!

Search this Thread