Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded (Oversold) from First/Business Class on UA (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

The agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to the day of departure downgrades (due to overbooking of the cabin).
Downgrades due to advance schedule / aircraft changes and/or canceled flights (including the day of departure) are not eligible.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if a customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

If I was CPUed and then degraded, am I eligible for GG OVS compensation?
Yes if the downgrade occurred on the day of departure.

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.

Related thread: First Class Oversold - How does United decide who stays and who goes

Archived thread Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions,Compensation, etc.) [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Downgraded (Oversold) from First/Business Class on UA (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2023, 7:45 am

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Thanks for sharing the route. Maybe WineCountryUA can comment but IAH-LIM might be the only Polaris flight in the world that can be handled by a 757-300.
even those in recliners should have received downgrade compensation as they basically flew in O. Polaris J is a flat bed
Old Jun 23, 2023, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Thanks for sharing the route. Maybe WineCountryUA can comment but IAH-LIM might be the only Polaris flight in the world that can be handled by a 757-300.
I've not done a systematic review, but it looks to me like EWR-SNN could be flown by 753.

edit add: just thought of ORD-KEF as well. Not trying to give UA any ideas, though!
Old Jun 23, 2023, 9:10 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by fumje
I've not done a systematic review, but it looks to me like EWR-SNN could be flown by 753.

edit add: just thought of ORD-KEF as well. Not trying to give UA any ideas, though!
I think you're right. Both of those routes are a handful of miles less than IAH-LIM.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 2:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

EWR-DUB if winds are not too bad

nominal 753 range is listed as 3,900 miles but TATL winds can be an issue in the winter.

Also, 753s have been used for EWR-SFO/LAX in a pinch

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 23, 2023 at 3:02 pm Reason: 753s have been used for EWR-SFO/LAX in a pinch
Old Jun 23, 2023, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
EWR-DUB if winds are not too bad

nominal 753 range is listed as 3,900 miles but TATL winds can be an issue in the winter.

Also, 753s have been used for EWR-SFO/LAX in a pinch
I don’t remember if this was pmCO or UA but the 753 was regularly scheduled for ERW-SFO service. Early evening departure westbound IIRC.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..edit add: just thought of ORD-KEF as well. Not trying to give UA any ideas, though!
What do you mean with "ideas"? The route is regularly operated by a 757-200.

I had the pleasure once, in Y. It's ways better than a 787 or 3-4-3 777 with regards to seat comfort.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weero
What do you mean with "ideas"? The route is regularly operated by a 757-200.

I had the pleasure once, in Y. It's ways better than a 787 or 3-4-3 777 with regards to seat comfort.
In F/J 752 vs 753 is rather a distinction! For Y, sure, 75x is better than 777 or 787. But the discussion for that post was subbing 753 on normal Polaris routes.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 8:04 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
In F/J 752 vs 753 is rather a distinction! For Y, sure, 75x is better than 777 or 787. But the discussion for that post was subbing 753 on normal Polaris routes.
Sure, in premium it's a step into the past. I just had to list it, as you posited the use on the KEF route as a hypothetical.

I always liked the 757, even before the horrors of the updated 777s came about. But these days, the difference in coach is just striking. If flying to Europe in coach, the KEF route will be an alternative, especially once the 767s will be gone .
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weero
Sure, in premium it's a step into the past. I just had to list it, as you posited the use on the KEF route as a hypothetical.

I always liked the 757, even before the horrors of the updated 777s came about. But these days, the difference in coach is just striking. If flying to Europe in coach, the KEF route will be an alternative, especially once the 767s will be gone .
I posited that KEF is another route on which subbing a non-Polaris 753 in for Polaris aircraft could be done. However, if they did so, the seats would be same or worse for all. The route is currently served by 752, and the originally-mentioned route is IAH-LIM route is served by 767.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying, except for what you're saying about what I'm saying. It's not related.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 4:43 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
I see canceled flights on DOD are not eligible for this. What kind of compensation, if any, is offered/expected for a canceled flight rebooked into economy?
Old Sep 11, 2023, 6:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jcturnbull
I see canceled flights on DOD are not eligible for this. What kind of compensation, if any, is offered/expected for a canceled flight rebooked into economy?
Customer inconvenience compensation (at UA's discretion) and fare differential (but typically fairly minor due to method of using walk-up fares)
Old Sep 11, 2023, 6:40 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Customer inconvenience compensation (at UA's discretion) and fare differential (but typically fairly minor due to method of using walk-up fares)
To be clear the first part is UA discretionary and comes as miles or an ETC while the second part (it seems lately the calculation isn't walk up are but underlying-economy-fare that most domestic F tickets are priced against, but still not as much as you might expect) is a contractual/legal requirement and is to the original form of payment.

Actually the calculation method is now detailed in the contract of carriage which I haven't noticed previously (Rule 27 - Refunds, (A)(3)):
  1. When a Passenger holding a Ticket for a higher class of service between a point of Origin and a Destination is required by the carrier to use a lower class of service for any portion of such carriage the amount of refund will be as follows:
    1. FOR UNRESTRICTED PREMIUM FARES: 50% of the prorated fare for that segment plus applicable variable taxes and fees.
    2. FOR SPECIAL AND RESTRICTED FARES: the lowest applicable fare at the time the ticket was purchased or the difference between the upgradeable and non-upgradeable fare type.
    3. This section does not apply to Passengers who purchase upgrades through miles and/or cash. If a Passenger pays for an upgrade that he does not receive, any recovery is limited to the amount paid for the upgrade in miles and/or cash.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
To be clear the first part is UA discretionary and comes as miles or an ETC while the second part (it seems lately the calculation isn't walk up are but underlying-economy-fare that most domestic F tickets are priced against, but still not as much as you might expect) is a contractual/legal requirement and is to the original form of payment.

Actually the calculation method is now detailed in the contract of carriage which I haven't noticed previously (Rule 27 - Refunds, (A)(3)):
. Yeah, there’s a key difference between transactions and relationships. Customers don’t invest in transactions.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA HA AS
Hope this is the correct place to ask this:

My wife booked a Premium Plus ticket round trip HNL-ORD. The initial HNL-ORD flight was canceled and she was rebooked into economy HNL-LAX-ORD. Can we request a refund in her fare to reflect the lower cabin flown? Will this affect her PQPs?

Thank you
Old Sep 27, 2023, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by waddy
Hope this is the correct place to ask this:

My wife booked a Premium Plus ticket round trip HNL-ORD. The initial HNL-ORD flight was canceled and she was rebooked into economy HNL-LAX-ORD. Can we request a refund in her fare to reflect the lower cabin flown? Will this affect her PQPs?

Thank you
Yes. Sort of -- they won't claw back PQP, but they also won't likely give her 100% of what she otherwise would have earned.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.