Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded (Oversold) from First/Business Class on UA (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

The agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to the day of departure downgrades (due to overbooking of the cabin).
Downgrades due to advance schedule / aircraft changes and/or canceled flights (including the day of departure) are not eligible.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if a customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

If I was CPUed and then degraded, am I eligible for GG OVS compensation?
Yes if the downgrade occurred on the day of departure.

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.

Related thread: First Class Oversold - How does United decide who stays and who goes

Archived thread Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions,Compensation, etc.) [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Downgraded (Oversold) from First/Business Class on UA (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
Of course you were. UA’s policy is clear. Once in F, you’re in F.

Also, there’s no way for you to know if you were the only CPU on the flight. Many CPUs do not appear on the upgrade list.
All really good information to know. Thank you so much for sharing.

Just so I know going forward, do you know the priority order they go in to determine invol downgrade? CPU, status, fare class, etc?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A UA issued BP yes. A LH issued, not sure if UA argues it was never confirmed.
If the ticket was not properly issued that UA would have not been able to offer ANY seat IMHO. So there was a flight coupon for that segment in J ... UA didn't have a seat ... I think this is pretty cut and dry and can't see UA arguing over this to be honest.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPS89
All really good information to know. Thank you so much for sharing.

Just so I know going forward, do you know the priority order they go in to determine invol downgrade? CPU, status, fare class, etc?
The priority order is supposed to be status and then fare class; however, based on reports it appears that agents often just do whatever’s easiest — usually whoever doesn’t have a seat assignment — or may add their own rules like you suggested, such as downgrading the most recent CPUs.

They are supposed to solicit volunteers first, as they did in your case.
SPN Lifer and CPS89 like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:00 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ckx2
She's in the air right now, so gotta get all facts straight when she lands. Based on our phone calls and me searching on EF proactively, she got into FRA late (due to a mechanical issue with her feeder flight). I've instructed her to not bother with the transfer agents and head straight to FCL A and have it sorted out there. Agents there tried there best, but obviously all west coast flights on LH had already left. IAD was sold out in both First and Business. It took roughly 30 minutes until they have offered her a seat on UA 927, albeit business class. My wife accepted and got handed a boarding pass (LH boarding pass).

I am not sure about whether it was marketed as LH 9126 (codeshare) or UA 927. By the time she had reached Z20, agents were already paging some passengers, including my wifes name. Saying that the flight is full and they could offer her a seat in Economy, if she needs to make it today. Wifey and I agreed that it is more important to have her stateside today and it is usually best to solve issues afterwards.
IME, IROPS protection is (should) always be booked as the "prime" flight (e.g. UA927). If LH did the sell entry as the codeshare flight that could explain selling phantom inventory.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA aircraft was 773 and interestingly there was an gate upgrade. Wonder if a seat become available at last minutes, UA upgraded a passenger as LH saw a seat and start a transfer of the OP's spouse. This may have been a case of the airlines antiquated systems allowing both to be initiated but only one confirmed.
While the systems are antiquated, this is more of an example of the "two generals problem" and the challenges in implementing a resilient, responsive, worldwide system -- if every transaction needed to obtain an absolute lock on inventory from the beginning of a transaction through a final sell you'd be paying a fairly massive penalty in resilience and speed where most of the time that doesn't matter (e.g. Y9 and trying to sell 1 seat) -- though of course it can be problematic in cases where J=1 and multiple people are trying to sell J.

When an airline issues a boarding pass for a IET flight coupon they are in essence doing it on behalf of the operating carrier, so if a BP for that flight was issued that strongly suggests that confirmed inventory was held at the time the BP was issued, whether that was UA or LH. Had LH completed the sell but not gotten confirmation back from the operating carrier (e.g. HK status) they shouldn't have been able to issue the BP, or to even check the coupon in... But again, if the agent sold from codeshare inventory rather than prime inventory could still be LH's fault [I've had multiple agents tell me that they weren't/aren't allowed to sell from codeshare on protection, haven't really had it come up recently so maybe the policy has changed]
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
We are on UA47 today, FRA-IAH, and at the time of boarding we were seated in PP. About 5 minutes before departure a crew member came to our seats and told us that we were being downgraded because there was a problem with the crew rest area. It turns out they needed some J seats and they didn't want to downgrade those passengers to Y, so they downgraded them to PP and then some PP passengers to Y. Musical chairs ensued, along with claims that there ware both catering delays and an MX issues. The seating issues took about an hour to sort out and we finally left about 1:40 late.

I asked the crew about downgrade compensation and was told that I'd have to speak with an agent at the gate. When I pointed out that this was impossible because I had already boarded and they were not going to let me off to talk to the agent I was told that they would email me and that there was nothing the crew could do.

I've had several issues recently where without notice WiFi doesn't work on a long-haul UA flight (despite the crew knowing about the problem before boarding). Each time I was told to contact customer service (I wrote to 1KVoice) because there was nothing the crew could do. Are crew members punished in some way for handing out compensation? Is UA n longer handling compensation via the crew's iPhones?
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
...Is UA n longer handling compensation via the crew's iPhones?
I think downgrade comp is out of the crew's scope of compensation abilities due to possible airfare calculations being involved. They pass out comp for no wifi/non-working seat/etc.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
We are on UA47 today, FRA-IAH, and at the time of boarding we were seated in PP. About 5 minutes before departure a crew member came to our seats and told us that we were being downgraded because there was a problem with the crew rest area. It turns out they needed some J seats and they didn't want to downgrade those passengers to Y, so they downgraded them to PP and then some PP passengers to Y. Musical chairs ensued, along with claims that there ware both catering delays and an MX issues. The seating issues took about an hour to sort out and we finally left about 1:40 late.

I asked the crew about downgrade compensation and was told that I'd have to speak with an agent at the gate. When I pointed out that this was impossible because I had already boarded and they were not going to let me off to talk to the agent I was told that they would email me and that there was nothing the crew could do.

I've had several issues recently where without notice WiFi doesn't work on a long-haul UA flight (despite the crew knowing about the problem before boarding). Each time I was told to contact customer service (I wrote to 1KVoice) because there was nothing the crew could do. Are crew members punished in some way for handing out compensation? Is UA n longer handling compensation via the crew's iPhones?
did you upgrade to PP? Any status left on UA? Just curious why they picked you. Hope you kept your new BPs and will pursue UA for compensation. EC reg 261 applies
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by cfischer
did you upgrade to PP? Any status left on UA? Just curious why they picked you. Hope you kept your new BPs and will pursue UA for compensation. EC reg 261 applies
interesting, EU 261 also applies to downgrades in cabin class? Never knew..
Old Jun 26, 2022, 4:32 pm

Programs: ba silver
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
interesting, EU 261 also applies to downgrades in cabin class? Never knew..
You are entitled to 75% of the fare for that segment, if you go the EU route.

These situations are unfortunate and in my opinion airlines should be required to ask for volunteers first. A substantial voucher is all that's necessary.

Just file a claim with United. IMHO airlines should be required to pay downgrade/idb compensation on the spot before the plane is allowed to push back. You don't get paid for something you don't provide.

I don't think it would take too long to calculate the refund since the can calculate how much to upgrade in a matter of minutes.

The last time I upgraded on board ( with SWISS) the purser took my boarding pass and came back within minutes with a price after " calling it in".

Previous to that I upgraded a short segment of a Trans-Pacific flight with Air China. When I ask the agent said they will recalculate the ticket for that segment and it took five minutes. Therefore they can easily calculate a refund and issue a prepaid card.

If I can't uparade my flight and pay later the airline should not be allowed to downgrade me and pay me later.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I think downgrade comp is out of the crew's scope of compensation abilities due to possible airfare calculations being involved. They pass out comp for no wifi/non-working seat/etc.
Except when the crew tells you to "write it in." And 1kvoice then comes back and tells you that request must be handled onboard by the inflight crew, and there's nothing they can do. It's a great system when the overriding corporate goal is not to provide any comp at all.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Kacee
Except when the crew tells you to "write it in." And 1kvoice then comes back and tells you that request must be handled onboard by the inflight crew, and there's nothing they can do. It's a great system when the overriding corporate goal is not to provide any comp at all.
In reality, have you had that happen to you in the past? I haven’t
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
In reality, have you had that happen to you in the past? I haven’t
I wouldn't be writing about it if I had not experienced it:
Hi Kacee:

Thank you for your reply.

As well, our Inflight crew handle all onboard service failure and compensation requests as they are there, can see what is occurring and they can try to resolve these issues and make necessary repair requests. As we transport over 500,000 passengers per day, it made sense to adjust our policies and procedures. Please request any compensation for all onboard issue directly from our Flight Attendants.

Once again, thank you providing your valued feedback with us, we truly appreciate it.

Have a great weekend and thank you for choosing United.

Regards,

Tami
Customer Care
Case ID: [deleted]
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by cfischer
We're both 1K and used PP to upgrade. We've got our boarding passes -- both sets. I believe they upgraded 4 people who were on the waitlist for upgrades and then needed 4 J seats so they downgraded 4 of us to make room. The seatmap shows 4 empty seats in Plaris. I have no idea how they picked the 4 J passengers. I presume they picked the last few people who had been upgraded and downgraded them. The upgrade list shows three people upgraded to Polaris but with PP seat assignment. Strangely, only 3 people are left on the Polaris upgrade standby list. The other one is on the regular standby list for the flight, listed as having cleared.

Re: EC 261, does PP count as a separate class of service? If so, we should both be entitled to 75% of the ticket price for this segment.

(standby list truncated)

Last edited by Xyzzy; Jun 26, 2022 at 5:45 pm
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I wouldn't be writing about it if I had not experienced it:
Thank you for that. I’m going to keep a copy, in the event it ever happens to me on board I’m going to show the FA this memo. You’re helping others here, I appreciate it
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Re: EC 261, does PP count as a separate class of service? If so, we should both be entitled to 75% of the ticket price for this segment.
Yes, it does. As are the J passengers. UA would have saved a considerable chunk of change by downgrading people J->Y.
Xyzzy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.