Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why is UA checked bag claim so slow? (EWR,ORD, SFO, IAH, ...) [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is UA checked bag claim so slow? (EWR,ORD, SFO, IAH, ...) [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:53 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Now that sounds like the IAD I've come to experience over the years! As I stated in a previous post, I find IAD to be the worst in the entire UA system
Sounds just like the IAD I have come to expect through experience. For a while there in late 2014 through mid-2015, I felt like I was on a first name basis with the bag delivery service.

Maybe I've been lucky since Jeffy left, but in that time, I've never had to wait more than 30 minutes from touchdown to getting my bag at IAD. That typically means 5 min or less at the carousel for me given taxi, deplaning, moonbuggy or train, etc.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
FWIW, I had to wait over 45 minutes at DCA with AA for my bag. The belt didn't even move at all until 45 minutes had passed. So, it's not only UA.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
My experience with DL has been shockingly good - at hubs and non, consistently less than <20 minutes per their g'tee (including oversized items like skis). AA is certainly not whom I look to as the standard here.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I got my bags in LAX first thing as they came off the ramp. From touch down to clearing customs and re-checking took all of 30-35 minutes. Excellent service here and actually getting 'priority' bags off first.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:37 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
My experience with DL has been shockingly good - at hubs and non, consistently less than <20 minutes per their g'tee (including oversized items like skis). AA is certainly not whom I look to as the standard here.
I would say that Alaska is the standard with the original 20 minute guarantee that they truly respect. "Below the wing" for them in the state of Alaska it is AS employees, everywhere else (including their hubs of SEA/PDX/LAX) they contract with 3rd parties to provide the service.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
At hubs, I've taken to picking up my rental car first and parking in short term to grab my bags. If I'm not driving, I'll grab coffee or a drink to burn time. It usually takes 40 minutes for my bag to come off, so might as well make use of the time.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:02 pm
O62

Well here at MRY we may suffer from 1 in 10 flights to SFO being cancelled or being excessively late from LAX but we do get our bags in about 10 minutes each time! Take that you big city yokels! Most of the time our bags make it fine through SFO or LAX - I've even had one make a 20 minute connection at SFO, which is much faster than I've ever seen a bag make it to the carousel there.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ncorman
I would say that Alaska is the standard with the original 20 minute guarantee that they truly respect.
Alaska deserves credit for their performance and the marketing value being first to offer a guarantee, but their biggest hub pales in size and complexity to DL at ATL or AA at DFW.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
By contrast, I was quite impressed with UA last night in that they started the carousel 18 minutes after the flight landed. I even got my bags 1 minute later, marking the first time UA has been sub-20 min for me in the last year.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by exerda
Maybe I've been lucky since Jeffy left, but in that time, I've never had to wait more than 30 minutes from touchdown to getting my bag at IAD. That typically means 5 min or less at the carousel for me given taxi, deplaning, moonbuggy or train, etc.
Now I think your lucky. Last 2-3 years my wife and I have had to wait at least 15-45 mins at the baggage claim and that does NOT include deplaning, train etc... time.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
50 (!) minute wait in EWR this week coming from FRA. Bag was almost last on the belt with a nice red priority tag ... UA clearly values their BF passengers
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by cfischer
50 (!) minute wait in EWR this week coming from FRA. Bag was almost last on the belt with a nice red priority tag ... UA clearly values their BF passengers
I don't think the baggage folks at EWR give two hoots about the priority tags. Getting my bags off an NZ flight in SYD with *A priority felt like it was truly being given priority.

That said, I did get my bags quickly at EWR a few days ago, but I saw loads of non-priority bags on the same flight on the belt first (inbound flight was from LAX).
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I don't think the baggage folks at EWR give two hoots about the priority tags. Getting my bags off an NZ flight in SYD with *A priority felt like it was truly being given priority.

That said, I did get my bags quickly at EWR a few days ago, but I saw loads of non-priority bags on the same flight on the belt first (inbound flight was from LAX).
for TATL this is actually surprising ... for domestic not so much.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:55 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Now I think your lucky. Last 2-3 years my wife and I have had to wait at least 15-45 mins at the baggage claim and that does NOT include deplaning, train etc... time.
Law of averages, maybe. There was a period in late 2014 and early 2015 where almost every single time I flew they delayed or lost my bag, and the times they didn't, it took 45-60 minutes to get it at IAD.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
I will just chime in and say had very bad luck at the end of the year at both IAH (int'l) and SFO. Priority tags were all mixed up and each time it took 30+ minutes from door opening to the first bag coming off.

At SFO I am particularly unimpressed that they can't seem to spread out the bags over multiple carousels. There were 3 flights from IAH, IAD and ORD all landing around midnight and they were all on a single carousel while the rest of the floor was basically empty due to the late hour. It was a true madhouse for no good reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.