Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slide deployed at the gate!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2015, 12:58 am
Original Poster

I just got off my EWR-ZRH flight after landing in extremely thick fog. when we got to the gate, i was one of the first off and as i was walking off the jetway i captured this, I have no idea how or when this happened! But it is a sight to be seen :P
Old Dec 20, 2015, 1:03 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Looks like someone forgot to deactivate the door in pre for cleaning and catering crews.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 1:07 am
Original Poster

how long does it take to repack one of those?
Old Dec 20, 2015, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
That's an expensive mistake
Old Dec 20, 2015, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Im thinking it happened after i got off the plane as i did not hear any load noises or see any scrambling of the crew. There were ALOT of kids in business class, or maybe a malfunction, i didnt see any catering trucks there or anything, this was mere minutes after arriving at the gate.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: UA 1K
Huh. Was this Saturday 12/19 EWR-ZRH UA134? It landed early (at 8am), 767-400 ship number 3061.

That plane is currently scheduled to operate 12/20 ZRH-IAD UA53 departing at 11:35 am (about two hours from now). Will it depart on time or will it be "delayed due to catering difficulties"? (Or was it a different flight?).
Old Dec 20, 2015, 1:50 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
the outbound (to IAD) is currently listed as being on time with a 11:35a departure (3h30m turn time).

anticipating something along the lines of "delayed due to ATC" as the reason for eventual delay.

EDIT: mherdeg and i are on the same wavelength with this!
Old Dec 20, 2015, 2:23 am

well, things like that are exactly why one hears the "cabin crew: all doors in PARK and cross-check" announcement when arriving at the gate.

Evidently, someone forgot to put it in park and another forgot to cross-check.....

Expensive mistake. Could also be dangerous. That slide deploys with quite some force.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 2:57 am

Hate the 767 doors not exactly user friendly when arming/disarming.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Oddly I don't recall the usual cross check call that you always here. And yea it's the flight that was ua136 and it was 12/20 arrival. I'm hoping another person on these message boards was on the fight that was up front and could report what happened and FYI you can you use that pic if anyone needs to make a compensation claim for cancelled flight obviously United will claim weather or something "out of their power"
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by 11madmic
... FYI you can you use that pic if anyone needs to make a compensation claim for cancelled flight obviously United will claim weather or something "out of their power"
"Operational Difficulties"
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:45 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mherdeg
That plane is currently scheduled to operate 12/20 ZRH-IAD UA53 departing at 11:35 am (about two hours from now). Will it depart on time or will it be "delayed due to catering difficulties"? (Or was it a different flight?).
In flight, having departed ~35 minutes late and scheduled to arrive early.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 5:03 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by docbert
In flight, having departed ~35 minutes late and scheduled to arrive early.
I don't see any special annotation in expertflyer flifo or united.com flight status explaining what will work out to be a slight delay (currently posted at 3:22pm arrival vs 3:15pm scheduled) on UA53 ZRH-IAD, which is probably the pictured plane. Maybe there will be a "reason" after the flight lands.

There must have been some excellent work by ground staff at ZRH to get the aircraft ready!
Old Dec 20, 2015, 5:16 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Are the slides supplied in an interchangeable standard "pack" for all doors the same and stocked at most stations (like, different aircraft can have the same type) such that it would be quick to replace?

Do they reuse the slide and repack it like a parachute once it's been opened?
Old Dec 20, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
http://gadling.com/2010/08/16/ask-ga...an-airplane-e/

If that site is reliable then most airports will have a few spares. They do reuse the deployed slide, but only after reconditioning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.