Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hello,

The quickest way to update passport information is through the United App during check-in for an international flight, as we have removed the passport data field from MileagePlus profiles on united.com. When you have a stored passport on the App, you will be asked to confirm that you are traveling with that passport. If travel documents have changed, you can choose to replace the existing passport or add a new passport (there is a limit of two stored passports). After selecting to replace or add a new passport, you will be prompted to accept the Passport Storage Terms. The application will then allow you to take a photo of the picture page of your passport. Once the validation process has been successfully completed, the check-in process can continue with the newly scanned passport. Hope this helps.

Thank you,

-UA Insider
Will non-USA Passports also scan?
Yes (we need to build a list of which ones work)

What visa will scan?
(we need to build a list of which ones work)
China -- L tourist visa
Print Wikipost

Passport data entered by phone app scan

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by villox
United requires that the passport be physically presented, either in person or via the app scan. I posted up thread the original post from the CO days as to why and when they implemented this policy. They have never since allowed simply entering your info into a profile. Being able to enter this info again wouldn't help anyone unless they changed this policy. So it's the policy to be upset with, not the functionality.
I know of no other U.S. air carrier that does not allow a passenger to update a profile on line for a renewed or replaced passport.

When a profile was first created on UA, it was not necessary to appear in person to have the passport number and expiration date entered in the profile.

Why, then, must an expired passport and subsequent renewal of a passport be handled differently?

Isn't a renewed passport merely the same person with an updated photo, a new expiration date added and a new passport number assigned in place of a prior passport?

In a somewhat related issue, a passenger can currently enter his or her "trusted traveler" number in an online profile. This number is more difficult to obtain than a passport.

Why the passport cannot be entered except through an app or at the airport is, indeed, puzzling.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 5:03 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Yes, you used to be able to add a new passport to your profile on line. But, in my experience when you did that you were unable to do OLCI on your next international trip. You would get a message about having to have your travel documents checked at the airport. Just having the info in your profile is no guarantee you can OLCI. I have even occasionally been unable to do OLCI with a passport that I had used on previous trips.

So, being able to scan the passport via the app and complete OLCI is actually an advantage, as I see it, as it gets you checked in much earlier.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by Michilander
Yes, you used to be able to add a new passport to your profile on line. But, in my experience when you did that you were unable to do OLCI on your next international trip. You would get a message about having to have your travel documents checked at the airport. Just having the info in your profile is no guarantee you can OLCI. I have even occasionally been unable to do OLCI with a passport that I had used on previous trips.

So, being able to scan the passport via the app and complete OLCI is actually an advantage, as I see it, as it gets you checked in much earlier.
If it is such an advantage, why can't you do it anytime? Why do you have to wait until you check in? There is no rational explanation for this.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
I know it's rare, but some of us have more than two passports. I wonder why United limits the stored passports to two?
Old Mar 5, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by euslaner
If it is such an advantage, why can't you do it anytime? Why do you have to wait until you check in? There is no rational explanation for this.
I'm just saying that it is an advantage over what it used to be, where you had to wait until you got to the airport.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Yes online change approved at GOES. I still don't understand why UA had to make this so difficult. I don't understand what "bad habits" there are on entering passwords--or if there are somehow, why they couldn't be handled by a secure website. Or can't UA give us a secure website?
For GE, they'll always see the passport at the border, so they can accept the lower fidelity data entered by you online. UA may never see the passport at the gate, so they want it scanned at a kiosk or by the app.

Bad habits was a poor choice of words; perhaps legacy practices is clearer.

The only possible reason for building a separate system is that it might make life easier for passengers. [If this is so complicated, I could probably find a programmer who could do it for them without too much difficulty.] But as an overentitled elite, I guess that this isn't a priority.
Again, what's the point of this extra effort they could expend? They never need to know your passport until you're checking in for your flight. Pre-scanning it provides no value to the passenger or UA.

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
If the passport data was stored or could be stored via a profile, this problem would not occur.

Several factors determine who will get an upgrade. One of those factors is the time when a passengers' name is added to the upgrade list at check in.

If the passenger cannot check in until he or she goes to the airport (because of an inoperative app and/or an old passport on file in the profile) the time stamp for that passenger will be nearly one day later than it would be if the passenger could check in without the passport issue.
To get to any upside to pre-scanning the passport you had to construct a quintuple-edge corner case:
- A new passport
- An inoperative app
- An uncleared upgrade
- A status and fare class tie on the upgrade list
- A visa and reciprocity fee free destination

And even with stored PP data, there are so many other bugs that will block checkin (as I've experience repeatedly) with a stored PP that I can't see how it would be worth it to UA, and they apparently agree.

I know of no other U.S. air carrier that does not allow a passenger to update a profile on line for a renewed or replaced passport.
And what does that entry allow you to do? Will ANY of them allow you to checkin and board with only a prior online entry of a passport? Can you name them?

When a profile was first created on UA, it was not necessary to appear in person to have the passport number and expiration date entered in the profile.
And this entry did nothing useful. You STILL need to show your passport at your first intl checkin.

Originally Posted by Michilander
Yes, you used to be able to add a new passport to your profile on line. But, in my experience when you did that you were unable to do OLCI on your next international trip. You would get a message about having to have your travel documents checked at the airport.
Correct. The online entire was entirely pointless since it did not allow checkin.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA GOld, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Passport info no longer in profile?

I was booking some flights and wanted to be sure the passport information in the profile was up to date. Searched around... could not find where it was in the profile. Called the Gold line, was referred to the Internet support desk. After being put on hold for 10-15 minutes, person (whose first language was clearly not English) told me (I think) that its no longer in the profile. But you can still check in online (with a mobile phone only) and you scan your passport with your phone camera.

Does this sound right? Why would they take it out of the profile? They store your Global Entry number in there.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because they were not using it for checkin anyway.

[Helpful info on consolidated thread edited by Moderator as moot after this separate thread was combined with the consolidated one.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 22, 2016 at 2:41 pm Reason: See note above.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Hog Heaven
I was booking some flights and wanted to be sure the passport information in the profile was up to date. Searched around... could not find where it was in the profile. Called the Gold line, was referred to the Internet support desk. After being put on hold for 10-15 minutes, person (whose first language was clearly not English) told me (I think) that its no longer in the profile. But you can still check in online (with a mobile phone only) and you scan your passport with your phone camera.

Does this sound right? Why would they take it out of the profile? They store your Global Entry number in there.
See thread. Scan it once, will be in your account until you renew.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:56 pm

since this change I have had problems requiring a passport check at the airport on every intl flight despite having GE and always getting precheck.

anyone else who has a suffix in their full name running into the same problem?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by augs
since this change I have had problems requiring a passport check at the airport on every intl flight despite having GE and always getting precheck.

anyone else who has a suffix in their full name running into the same problem?
I have a suffix. International OLCI works sometimes, but inconsistent.

In the last couple months IAH-SCL didn't work, SCL-IAH did, FRA-IAH did not.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 5:55 am

Thanks so much for these instructions UA Insider. After being asked for a new passport info at check in online - finding NO where to put it, and being 'flagged' to manually check in to an international flight (meaning we now had to arrive an extra hour early and get stuck in the lines even though we have nexus, global crossings, tsa pre - you name it ) - we called united - spent 40 min on the phone with them to no success the agent just kept repeating the same line of go to manual check in at the airport. the agent had NO idea where in the profile to update the passport (to at least Avoid this fiasco Next time we flew) finally we found this thread - and followed the instructions - voila -- check in complete thanks again - we really appreciate it
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: continental united starwood hilton marriott
TSA pre question

Have global entry and TSA pre, renewed my passport was able to fill out form for Global but with TSA can I bring new Passport to a United Ticket office or must I wait to I check in for a flight.
Is another alternative available?
Thanks
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I'm not sure I understand your question.

TSA Pre isn't tied to your passport, so renewing a passport and updating that information for Global Entry shouldn't have an impact on Precheck.

I just renewed my passport in January and have had no problems with Precheck since then.

Is that what you're asking?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by arubalad
Have global entry and TSA pre, renewed my passport was able to fill out form for Global but with TSA can I bring new Passport to a United Ticket office or must I wait to I check in for a flight.
Is another alternative available?
Thanks
Not sure what this question has to do with Pre.

GOES allows you to update your passport (GE). UA used to slow you to update passport information on your profile, but apparently they don't anymore.

No need to stop into United office - hey probably wouldn't be able to do anything anyway. If you check into your next flight with the app, you'll be able to scan it and it takes a couple of minutes to verify. Or you can do it at a kiosk. Or with an agent.

Passport has nothing to do with Pre. TSA runs that - and it matches you by secure flight info and if you provide it, the known travelled number, which is the pass ID on the back of your GE card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.