Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booking S* partners on united.com, unable to comfirm?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2015, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAPLT, SK/G, A3/G

Hi, I booked an intra-European trip yesterday on United.com that does not contain any United segments, just SAS and SWISS. I just got an email saying SWISS is unable to confirm my flight and told me to tall, and the CSR told me that I was not allowed to booked a trip with S* partners without UA segments, and that the fact the system allowed it was a mistake, and cancelled it for me.

Is this the case? Do I just need to book it on another website?

Also, if I made a nonrefundable booking during this trip and I can't take it, am I just out of luck because I technically should've waited for the confirmation?
Old Dec 12, 2015, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ben1979
Hi, I booked an intra-European trip yesterday on United.com that does not contain any United segments, just SAS and SWISS. I just got an email saying SWISS is unable to confirm my flight and told me to tall, and the CSR told me that I was not allowed to booked a trip with S* partners without UA segments, and that the fact the system allowed it was a mistake, and cancelled it for me.

Is this the case? Do I just need to book it on another website?

Also, if I made a nonrefundable booking during this trip and I can't take it, am I just out of luck because I technically should've waited for the confirmation?
The agent was grievously wrong. You can certainly have an itinerary with exclusively *A partner flights. I do it all the time. Call again and get it restored.

There have been problems from time to time with Swiss (LX) flights getting properly ticketed through UA. Swiss is particularly finicky about ticketing and UA's process doesn't always meet their standards. So the part about UA being "unable to confirm" was sort of legit.

Whether to complain about the agent's improper conduct is a separate question and up to you. I would, but it may not be worth the hassle.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAPLT, SK/G, A3/G
Originally Posted by Kacee
The agent was grievously wrong. You can certainly have an itinerary with exclusively *A partner flights. I do it all the time. Call again and get it restored.
Thanks Kacee. I called and they can't give me the old fare back. When I booked it yesterday it was $318 but today it is $400. For some reason SAS is not showing that flight and SWISS is erroring out. I ended up booking it on Expedia before your reply with the $400 and it is showing confirmed.

Knowing what I know of UA, I think complaining will do zero good.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This has nothing to do with alliances. Any carrier with an interline agreement with another carrier may book a ticket on that other carrier. But, under IATA rules that other carrier has 72 hours in which to accept the booking. Most often, bookings are relatively instant, but not always.

In an ideal world, if you can find the fare you want, I would suggest ticketing through the operating carrier of the first segment. All kinds of reasons for not doing that, but if there are none, that's my default.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thanks Kacee. I called and they can't give me the old fare back. When I booked it yesterday it was $318 but today it is $400. For some reason SAS is not showing that flight and SWISS is erroring out. I ended up booking it on Expedia before your reply with the $400 and it is showing confirmed.

SK (SAS) and LX (Swiss) are the two carriers that most commonly reject UA bookings. SK segments can be particularly difficult to ticket through UA.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

It's certainly possible, given the fare was no longer available, that the lower fare you saw online wasn't actually available, but was showing as such as airlines (and OTAs) cache fares so you can search them in a reasonable amount of time, and are only updated every so often. Often, this is caught prior to purchase when you select specific flights and they try to confirm the fare (I.e., when an OTA gives a message saying sorry, that fare is no longer available), though airlines aren't agencies, and often can't see other carrier inventory real-time, hence the chance for the operating carrier to confirm availability or reject it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.