Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRSA paid baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2015, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
NRSA paid baggage?

I would ask my sponsor, but he's off to Beijing.. I'm taking a last minute flight, so used a buddy pass. It's been years since I last used one, but I recall luggage was free. Upon checking in and getting on the list I was quoted $25 to check a bag.. I was going to check two, and probably should consolidate if need be.. Anyone know if US is charging SA riders for baggage on domestic flights?

Thanks!
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Unless something changed, the bags should be free. I do not use buddy passes, but when I did - bags are free.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
$25 for buddy pass riders is correct.

Other pass riders (family, etc) still do not pay.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:58 am

Location: Another aeroplane, another sunny place, I know I'm lucky but I just want to go home.
Programs: Paris Metro, BART monthly pass holder; Amtrak rider; Safeway, Costco club member :D
They started charging buddy pass riders check bags fee. Not a good deal, expensive, low boarding priority on standby and now bag fee.

Last edited by goalie; Dec 8, 2015 at 11:12 am Reason: off topic comments removed
Old Dec 8, 2015, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Mrotenfan
They started charging buddy pass riders check bags fee. Not a good deal, expensive, low boarding priority on standby and now bag fee.
And on top of that, they're not allowed to travel internationally anymore without a sponsor accompanying them. Buddy passes are essentially worthless anymore.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DENviaLAX
And on top of that, they're not allowed to travel internationally anymore without a sponsor accompanying them. Buddy passes are essentially worthless anymore.
They can't travel internationally at all without the sponsor, or just not in the premium cabins?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bear96
They can't travel internationally at all without the sponsor, or just not in the premium cabins?
Can't travel at all w/o sponsor.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:05 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by PropClear
Can't travel at all w/o sponsor.
False. The statement you quoted was correct
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:21 pm

Buddy pass riders are no longer allowed to travel internationally or to Hawaii without being accompanied by an eligible sponsor. To clarify, it doesn't have to be solely the employee traveling with them. It can be one of the employee's approved family members as well.

But between that and the bag fees, as well a waiting period before an added buddy rider is allowed to travel, the benefits of such have taken a big hit lately. Such a hassle that buddy passes are effectively useless in my eyes.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Wouldn't it be better for anyone trying to travel standby to have carryon baggage only if at all possible?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.