Wiki Posts
Search

eTicket Itinerary and Receipt Security

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2015, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
eTicket Itinerary and Receipt Security

I was flying UA yesterday; I paid for part of the ticket with an e-cert and the rest with my MP Visa. When I checked in and printed the eTicket Itinerary and Receipt from the check-in kiosk, at the bottom where it says Method of Payment, it had "FP CERTXXXXXXXXXX (certificate number) NIL A/C VI438857(the rest of my CC # except the last digit)".

What other company prints all but one digit of the CC number on the receipt?
Old Dec 6, 2015, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Isn't the last digit a check digit, so you can calculate it using the Luhn algorithm?
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA GS / IHG Spire RA / HHonors Gold / SPG Marriott Plat
yep
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: LH SEN, SQ Gold
Sounds like something you should bring to the attention of UA Insider.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:32 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Has UA disabled printing receipts at the kiosk now as some kind of stopgap measure to address this?

My past several times using a kiosk (all in December), the "Print Receipt" functionality has been absent. It's a little annoying as I use those receipts, and though they're available online, it was always simple to just grab them at check in.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Printing anything more than the last 4 digits of a credit card number at a point of sale terminal has been against the law for many years now under FACTA (Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act).. no merchant who accepts cards can even print an expiration date on a receipt that's given to a customer...and there are steep statutory fines in the law ($100 per violation). When FACTA was first enacted there were many class action lawsuits against retailers slow to implement it... nowadays they are not as common, and usually if a retailer is printing them it's the result of a programming mistake where someone enabled the print function in error.

A full card number should not be included on anything printed as a customer receipt... UA is well aware of FACTA and should have taken immediate steps to correct the error upon being notified...and if that meant shutting off the ability to print receipts until it was resolved then so be it.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 7:10 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by exerda
Has UA disabled printing receipts at the kiosk now as some kind of stopgap measure to address this?

My past several times using a kiosk (all in December), the "Print Receipt" functionality has been absent. It's a little annoying as I use those receipts, and though they're available online, it was always simple to just grab them at check in.
I have encountered this too lately. Always used that feature. Very annoyed now.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I have encountered this too lately. Always used that feature. Very annoyed now.
That makes two of us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.