Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Denied by UA Insider]: BIG changes to Million Miler program imminent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2015, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky
Originally Posted by UA Insider
There are no plans to change the Million Miler program.

-UA Insider
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25809076-post186.html
Print Wikipost

[Denied by UA Insider]: BIG changes to Million Miler program imminent

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JetAway
The information/decision vacuum is clearly related to UA's current leadership vacuum. It might also explain the late rollout of next year's MP program.
Not to mention UA's election not to participate in this forum via UA Insider (except to make UA-serving marketing pitches).

In years past, UA Insider would have made an appearance in this thread long ago.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by TA
The amount of information vacuum / panic that UA is being subject to or is enabling here at FT lately is astounding, and maybe reflects some level of rudderless-ness or lack of leadership that its FF's would be in a position to think so many bad things about it lately. Look at the thread about "should I be worried about booking an award for friends" or this thread. People are speculating and grasping for info based on pure rumor/3rdhand reports, with nothing to counter the void of information. Maybe more than usual lately? Just an observation.
I'm sure United looks at changes to all of its programs on a regular basis. That doesn't mean some, any, or all of the changes will ever be implemented or see the light of day. Why would United publicly comment on a rumor, which may or may not have any basis in reality? This is a competitive industry and confirming or denying potentially proprietary information on a public message board posted by anonymous individuals who may or may not have disingenuous intentions seems like a unreasonable expectation.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Stop chasing MM status - NOW!

If you can't understand that travel volume has gotten huge, and that LOTS and LOTS of people will attain MM status, you just don't get it.

Even if you are promised XX status for Y MM miles, the benefits of X status are fluid and WILL be diluted, so chasing it is just foolish.
I agree more people will hit 1M miles but there will not be LOTS and LOTS of people hitting 2-4 MM since it is BIS miles.

I know people that have millions of miles on AA from just their credit card - you really can't compare that to United where it has been BIS for the most part.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by fly18725
I'm sure United looks at changes to all of its programs on a regular basis. That doesn't mean some, any, or all of the changes will ever be implemented or see the light of day. Why would United publicly comment on a rumor, which may or may not have any basis in reality? This is a competitive industry and confirming or denying potentially proprietary information on a public message board posted by anonymous individuals who may or may not have disingenuous intentions seems like a unreasonable expectation.
+1 .. I'm guessing UA would not want to risk the revenue and/or PR impact acknowledging this sort of change. Especially since the targeted audience is the UA frequent flyer. I'd suppose that DL or AA would love to capture additional moderate to high-level rev flyers.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:56 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
True -- just seems like there is more speculative panic around here lately than usual...
Old Dec 2, 2015, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by TA
True -- just seems like there is more speculative panic around here lately than usual...
Almost like UA is using the forum to secretly test ideas... .
Old Dec 2, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by edcho
Almost like UA is using the forum to secretly test ideas... .
Yeah, that's never happened here before...
Old Dec 2, 2015, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by TA
Perhaps the lack of bad news in other areas necessitates the creation of another outlet for angst and frustration.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 11:57 am

Perhaps the lack of bad news in other areas necessitates the creation of another outlet for angst and frustration.
Probably right, but to be fair, many here have come to expect a storm to follow the calm period in the years since the merger, and with good reason.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by Kacee
Some of the changes to MP made during the Smisek era can really only be described as pure meanness. Senior management just seemed to have an irrational dislike of elites. Changing benefits for 2MM+ flyers would be one of those types of changes - no real rational basis.
Or the previous time the Corporation focused on Million Milers to the MM's detriment?...one would have thought the organization would have far larger fish to fry as they entered a complex merger between two relatively dissimilar operating entities.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by luckypierre
Or the previous time the Corporation focused on Million Milers to the MM's detriment?...one would have thought the organization would have far larger fish to fry as they entered a complex merger between two relatively dissimilar operating entities.
And one would have been correct, given the outcomes of the merger.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I haven't followed MM stuff very closely, but at ~900k, maybe I should have been paying more attention.

I am curious about the rationale / history of the companion status nomination. At first glance, this would seem to be the most logical change to make....much as they eliminated status for travelers on elite mile redemptions.

Is this really perceived as a greatly valued benefit?
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I haven't followed MM stuff very closely, but at ~900k, maybe I should have been paying more attention.

I am curious about the rationale / history of the companion status nomination. At first glance, this would seem to be the most logical change to make....much as they eliminated status for travelers on elite mile redemptions.

This is my #1 benefit as a 1MM. I make 1K each year and can status match my husband.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by goodeats21

The companion benefit was a part of the pmCO program and when the programs merged it was maintained and the annual 2 RPUs and threshold GPUs on the pmUA side were eliminated.

This pleased some and displeased others. Some highly value the benefit -- some don't. Many like the idea of doing something for their family members as a reward for their travel and time away from home. Others where their family members always travel with them or companions have earned status on their own, this is less valuable. There multiple threads on this, so best not to get into this much further here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...n-benefit.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ng-2012-a.html
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The companion benefit was a part of the pmCO program and when the programs merged it was maintained and the annual 2 RPUs and threshold GPUs on the pmUA side were eliminated.
FWIW, the main benefits of the PMCO MM prgram were the companion status match and lifetime silver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.