Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA vs. AC business class

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Second the recommendation for AC in J. Single transit, much faster trip. I will choose AC over UA in Business almost every time.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Thanks guys... booked AC. Looking forward to flying them!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by avi8tir
Thanks guys... booked AC. Looking forward to flying them!
Do keep in mind that Canada is moving to an Aussie style electronic travel authorization which kicks in in March, I believe.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by transportprof
Do keep in mind that Canada is moving to an Aussie style electronic travel authorization which kicks in in March, I believe.
US citizens are exempted from the policy. (I of course don't know if that applies to the OP)
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:05 am

What would you prefer? UA or AC transpacific J

I've flown both many times before but never with the new Polaris soft product on UA. I previously preferred the AC product even with the connection at YYZ (with UA I can fly direct). Now with the UA Polaris product, I'm not sure anymore. I liked mattress pad and pajama that are available on some other airlines. Is the Polaris version as good? Is it worthwhile? Thanks.

Last edited by tth6133; Mar 11, 2017 at 7:20 am
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
What UA J are we talking about? That alone can make a big difference on this question IMO
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
To me, it's much more about the seat. Personally, I find the AC seat too cramped and the seat belt bites into my side, so (probably alone on FT) I would go with UA (that said, I've never flown the pmCO planes so can't comment about those seats, but I like the pmUA ones).

The Polaris bit is IMHO massively over-hyped. I don't care about loads of pillows and blankets - ok, having a better pillow is nice, but the rest just clutters the place up. The food is somewhat better, but it does depend upon the individual FAs. I was also not that impressed with the food or wine on AC and they also suffer from inconsistent service.

In short, go with the seat and the routing.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
What UA J are we talking about? That alone can make a big difference on this question IMO
It's on UA 777-200 in a 2-2-2 arrangement without the F cabin.

Last edited by tth6133; Mar 11, 2017 at 11:05 am
Old Mar 11, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
This is, of course, subjective... but the UA 2-4-2 config doesn't hold a candle to MOST AC seats. There is one exception, and that is the 777-HD config they run YVR-HKG. The narrower seats and the airbag seatbelt make that plane a pretty fair torture chamber.

If you're on one of the 787s or other equipment, the AC seat is generally better than the pmUA equipment.

My ranking would be:

AC 777HD < pmUA J < pmCO J < AC all other TPAC

Jury is still out on the UA Polaris 773.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 12:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tth6133
It's on UA 777-200 in a 2-2-2 arrangement without the F cabin.
To translate -- this is the sCO configuration which is covered in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...lass-50bf.html
Old Mar 11, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by BasedinCLE
Hi all -
I'm evaluating flights for a TPAC flight and essentially have UA or AC to choose from, based on my timetable.

I can choose a business class seat on a UA B744 or B789 or an AC B789.

All other factors equal (e.g., timetable, price, etc.), is one business class product better than the other between UA and AC?

Thanks.
I try to fly United Metal wherever possible as a way of working towards Global Services. If that weren't in contention... all things being equal, I'd go with AC in a heartbeat.

The all Asile access is fantastic. That said, My Second choice would be the United B789 with the Contental style seats. (middle pair bulkhead if possible).
Old Mar 11, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA GS/MM, Marriott TE, National EE, Global Entry/TSA-Pre, APEC BTC
AC doesn't have Jack Daniel's which is a show stopper for me. Also last time i flew business from Vancouver to Brisbane on AC, they had no wifi? not it wasn't working, the plane was not outfitted with it?? another showstopper for me. Although i may be considered a little spoilt, I'll pay for FC 747 if i can't get UD. I'm flying UD 747 SFO to HKG today!
Old Mar 11, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Darlox
This is, of course, subjective... but the UA 2-4-2 config doesn't hold a candle to MOST AC seats. There is one exception, and that is the 777-HD config they run YVR-HKG. The narrower seats and the airbag seatbelt make that plane a pretty fair torture chamber.

If you're on one of the 787s or other equipment, the AC seat is generally better than the pmUA equipment.

My ranking would be:

AC 777HD < pmUA J < pmCO J < AC all other TPAC

Jury is still out on the UA Polaris 773.
The "HD" configuration in J is gone on AC, they have all been refurbed to a consistent configuration across the 777 and 787 fleet.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:22 pm

Have to book a UA biz ticket from FRA back to the US in early June and have option of Air Canada business with a connection or Polaris on United (both on UA ticket stock). Which is a better hard & soft product in your opinion?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:55 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Planes have a whole lot to do with it @:-)

PMUA in Biz on 777 is REALLY crowded. Two class 767 not so bad. Polaris hard product in only available on 77W aka 777-300 and IIRC it does not fly to FRA.

I've only flown AC on 763, and was rather impressed. ALL isle access, very good service .... can't say if it's hit and miss since it was my only TATL in AC Biz, but soft service on UA is VERY much hit and miss

And while not mainline, recently got rerouted from YYJ-SFO-DFW to YYJ-YVR-DFW, and gotta say, was happy with the switch even though I got to DFW a day later. Not saying ALL flight attendants at UA are UNHAPPY, just a high percentage on flights that I'm on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.