Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

270k miles for 4 economy tickets to OGG, would you do it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Due to lack of saver award tickets in both economy and first, this is the best option I could get using miles to get 4 award tickets from SFO to OGG.

Just curious how many people would pull the trigger on this award redemption...
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by yipinglim
Just curious how many people would pull the trigger on this award redemption...
I know some people are happy with 1 cent per mile, but I prefer to get 2-3 cents per mile, so the tickets would have to be $1800. But if you are sitting on a ton of miles it's always better to spend the miles than cash if you don't have the cash to spend at the moment. In the end it's about the experience and if the miles let you have an experience you wouldn't otherwise have it's a good value.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I wouldn't do it, but if you don't want to spend the money and you don't envision using the miles for better value, why not? I'd check other carrier's airfares out of area airports before pulling the trigger - at least you'll make an informed choice. Virgin, Hawaiian, Alaska are options

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 10, 2015 at 5:28 pm
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

These specific tickets would cost about $1,500 per ticket, so I'm getting about 2 cents per mile. Not ideal, as I prefer to spend my miles on business class tickets...

The quandary that I'm in is that I can get tickets on Hawaiian at about $800 per ticket...
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I wouldn't do it, but if you don't want to spend the money and you don't envision using the miles for better value, why not? I'd check other carrier's airfares out of area airports before pulling the trigger - at least you'll make an informed choice. Jet Blue, Hawaiian are options
Yeah I'm really not that keen... Made the reservation first knowing that I can cancel anyway... I do envision using my miles for better value, I just don't know when...

The funny thing is that on both flights, all the seats in First are available, but no saver awards are available on first, which would make it a bit more palatable...
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: 1k
I would add SNA and LAX to the mix. If you are willing to take a 1 hour flight to go.

I value miles based upon what I can buy them for. That would be $5130 in your case.

Seems like too much to me. But like others said, if your circumstances dictate maybe it is worth it for you.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
These specific tickets would cost about $1,500 per ticket, so I'm getting about 2 cents per mile. Not ideal, as I prefer to spend my miles on business class tickets...

The quandary that I'm in is that I can get tickets on Hawaiian at about $800 per ticket...
I'd just get tickets on Hawaiian at that rate. You can probably get first class tickets on Hawaiian for $1500 per ticket as well. Then you can book some mileage runs to make up for the PQM you're missing by not flying UA to HI.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
No way I would do it. It is exactly the type of thing UA wants you to do, spend those miles get them off their books at little cost to them.

Have you looked at Alaska? Remember their credit card give a $99 companion ticket that has no capacity control restrictions.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
OP - did you check how many X/XN/I/IN seats were available? Maybe one or two can be in Saver, the rest Standard?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: HawnAir
Dont agree ppl, Tkts are "seasonal" to OGG....so might be $1500 in June
double at Nov-Feb.
All depends on If, When, WHere you'll use them? DO you have a Fav
stay from OGG?
Whats not to like?
Kapalua.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
OP - did you check how many X/XN/I/IN seats were available? Maybe one or two can be in Saver, the rest Standard?
Actually all 4 tickets on saver tickets from SFO to OGG, and on the return they are all standard awards
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Actually all 4 tickets on saver tickets from SFO to OGG, and on the return they are all standard awards
I'd book them as one-ways then....and if saver opens, you can easily switch.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Would I do it? No. I won't pay saver rates for a Hawaii award; they're overpriced. I'd book the HA flight. It's a better product, and you're not giving up UA PQM, RDM, or PQD.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Did you check saver availability ex-HNL? That plus an inter-island ticket might be worth the connection on the way back.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
How much would it cost to purchase 4 one-way tickets OGG-SFO? Or OGG-OAK on AS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.