Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Mileage Plus versus Miles and More

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related thread
UA MP vs. LH M&M [merged] in LH M&M forum -- Please don't double post
Print Wikipost

United Mileage Plus versus Miles and More

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
How much is the surcharge on LH and LX? When I book LH on UA, it's usually $150 surcharge for the ticket anyway.
That's not a surcharge. That's just the taxes and fees. You don't pay a surcharge when you book an award through UA.

IIRC, the fuel surcharge on an LH C or F award is around $900.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:15 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's not a surcharge. That's just the taxes and fees. You don't pay a surcharge when you book an award through UA.

So MileagePlus Then!!!!!
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
deleted
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
(LX F award is only for SEN and above and LH F awards are only released to partners within 14 days of departure (SQ has special access to these) so there's very little competition for those seats).
can someone elaborate?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee

Yikes! That's a lot of money for an award ticket. THanks.

Originally Posted by cbourl
So MileagePlus Then!!!!!
I am thinking that I agree with you!
Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Gold;
Mileage Plus or Miles and More

Hi FF Community,

Could you help me with the following decision please: for 2017 I will probably make about 60 segments in the US, domestic first. Possibly a couple of international C Class trips, but that's not confirmed. I do have the MP Club CC, but use Amex Platinum for my bookings (the 5 points per dollar are a no brainer) and a way to transfer my points would be great although not essential. If I want to redeem my miles, I would use them for travel to Germany, Uk and CH and Austria. Am I better off therefore to credit my miles to MM instead of MP? Status is important as it just helps with flight changes and ground service. I am also DL Platinum and AA Platinum and really want to consolidate all my travel (newbie error to split it all up). Many thanks for your advice of Gurus!!
Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Lufthansa status would be next to worthless for you as a domestic flyer.

Additionally, M+M is an awful program for redemptions due to fuel surcharges. The only bright spot is that it's relatively easy to redeem for LH J and F, subject to those sky-high surcharges.

LH has no credit card transfer partners. Chase is the only UA transfer partner.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:10 am

Programs: Milage Plus 1K 1.3MM, Marriot LT Platinum
Moin!

I agree. United treats *G worse then LH and with your flying you should get 1K which gets you good treatment at UA and LH. The benefits for flying domestically in the US (upgrades, RPU, GPU) are way better than what you would get as Senator (*G).

So long
-Ralf
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Yup - the only "benefit" of M&M if you'll be flying mostly domestic is that you'll have UC access on your domestic flights which you don't get with 1K. But since you have the club card, you have club membership, making that point moot. Go with UA
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:06 pm

Moving to Germany for 2 years - switch to miles & more?

Hi all. My company is moving me to Germany for two years in January. Thanks to a lot of international business class travel, I earned 1k status on United this year. However, most of my flights were on airlines in the miles and more group. It took most of the year to get 4 ticketed United segments. I do no real domestic business travel in the US. My company does not allow me to use my miles to upgrade classes on business trips, or on personal travel.

Next year I'll have a minimum of two round trips in business class back to the US, and will most likely have a few flights to Austria.

Does it make sense to keep the miles in United, or should I switch to miles and more? I highly doubt I'll make 1k in United next year.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Don't know enough about M&M to make an informed recommendation.

One thing to consider though, no PQD for foreign addresses.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by polabear
Hi all. My company is moving me to Germany for two years in January. Thanks to a lot of international business class travel, I earned 1k status on United this year. However, most of my flights were on airlines in the Miles and More group. It took most of the year to get 4 ticketed United segments. I do no real domestic business travel in the US. My company does not allow me to use my miles to upgrade classes on business trips, or on personal travel.

Next year I'll have a minimum of two round trips in business class back to the US, and will most likely have a few flights to Austria.

Does it make sense to keep the miles in United, or should I switch to miles and more? I highly doubt I'll make 1k in United next year.
Originally Posted by Duke787
Don't know enough about M&M to make an informed recommendation.
One thing to consider though, no PQD for foreign addresses.
What are your objectives with a ffp?
Not being allowed to use ff miles for personal travel is very unusual. (If that ever happened to me I would be looking for a new employer)
What are the ff miles used for?

Look here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html
and here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
My company does not allow me to use my miles to upgrade classes on business trips, or on personal travel.
If you can't use the miles on upgrades or personal travel, what are you planning to use them for? Awards for company travel?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
If you can't use the miles on upgrades or personal travel, what are you planning to use them for? Awards for company travel?
First, thanks to the links to the other threads! I should have searched harder.

I do use the miles for company travel, out of a weird thriftiness. Most of my coworkers don't even collect them. I have enjoyed the free access to E+ on the domestic flights I've taken, but since I'm paying out of pocket, united isn't always affordable. I'm usually flying ORD to DEN, so I've never gotten a free upgrade.

There is no clear policy against using rpus and gpus on my personal travel, so I'm hoping I can use my two gpus on the extra flight back to the US im planning on that work won't pay for.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do use the miles for company travel, out of a weird thriftiness. Most of my co-workers don't even collect them.
Co workers not collecting ff miles make sense.
If you do not put a ff number in the reservation you can retro claim with a physical boarding pass.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 3, 2016 at 12:43 am Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.