Wiki Posts
Search

ATC issues AUS, early Nov 2015

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
ATC issues AUS, early Nov 2015

UA 1966 has been shown as taxing to runway for more than half an hour now. Is something happening there?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
There's a thread on the AA board about issues at Austin. Apparently in the rains this weekend the first floor of the control tower was flooded. Everything's having to be handled by Houston, so they've had to increase spacing between all takeoffs and landings.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:37 am

AUS has had ATC delays to due tower flooding for a few days now.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
IAH area is heavily fogged right now. That, and the current ATC in AUS are probably both combining in the delay.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Thanks, all. Must have been something else with this particular flight. Was due to leave at 0530, left the gate at 0737 and just took off a little bit ago. Sounds like more than just increased spacing.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Sounds like spacing to me.

Looking at today's (Nov 3) first few AUS-LAX flights on AA, WN, and UA:

AA 145 / Sked DEP 7:15 AM / Act DEP 9:07 AM
UA 5653 / Sked DEP 7:20 AM / Act DEP 8:12 AM
WN 180 / Sked DEP 7:50 AM / Act DEP 8:51 AM
AA 5930 / Sked DEP 2:55 PM / Act CANCELED
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Michilander
Thanks, all. Must have been something else with this particular flight. Was due to leave at 0530, left the gate at 0737 and just took off a little bit ago. Sounds like more than just increased spacing.
They are likely giving the flights an Expect Departure Clearance Time (EDCT), often called a "Flow Time". This is the time that they expect the takeoff clearance to be given.

When and EDCT is known in advance, often they aren't known until you're ready to pushback or after you taxi, the airline will often choose to delay boarding. The boarding will generally not be delayed by the full amount of the expected delay as EDCT times often change, earlier or later, as the time approaches. That can result in both delayed at the gate and additional delays during taxi out.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: United 1k, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Marriot Gold Elite, SPG Diamond
Austin (I live here) was also super fogged in this morning, which is unusual. For Houston it's not - I've learned to be wary of early am hops AUS-IAH - but here it isn't, except this am. Caused some pretty decent traffic delays too.

Been a lot of rain lately (which was behind the tower flooding issue last Friday, though I am pretty sure that has been sorted by now).
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5-star, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ixian

Been a lot of rain lately (which was behind the tower flooding issue last Friday, though I am pretty sure that has been sorted by now).
Tower issue has not been sorted out. They're running off of a temporary tower that was brought in from Kansas by the FAA. As a result, they're only able to use one runway and therefore the capacity of the airport is down by greater than 50% (only one runway and increased spacing). They're in the process of moving operations to San Antonio, but they've haven't completed that yet. I'm supposed to fly out later today, but am contemplating making the drive up to GRK instead of AUS. Here's a local news story on the mess:

http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local...43643451-story
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
In the discussion on the AA board, there's a picture of the temporary tower. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...tinue-aus.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.