FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1719061-premium-transcon-service-sfo-lax-ewr-flights-questions-experiences.html)

Unitedloyalflyer May 10, 2022 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX (Post 34227347)
Internally, there has been no news of meals being restored.

But there's hope - meals have improved on West Coast - Europe flights this month in Y and PP.

Why would they restore meals to E+?

Wouldn't UA want people to buy up tp PP? Besides, if meals return to E+, there is a chance that PP would again receive the E+ meal, instead of the J meal they currently receive

MatthewLAX May 10, 2022 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer (Post 34238208)
Why would they restore meals to E+?

Wouldn't UA want people to buy up tp PP? Besides, if meals return to E+, there is a chance that PP would again receive the E+ meal, instead of the J meal they currently receive

I’d certainly like an E+ meal or at least make them available for purchase. I miss the Southwestern omelet very much!

Repooc17 May 10, 2022 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX (Post 34238219)
I’d certainly like an E+ meal or at least make them available for purchase. I miss the Southwestern omelet very much!

The pessimist in me says we will not get comped E+ hot meals under the current leadership. Soft product is clearly not a priority,

I still have fond memories when UA first introduced E+ hot meals; in more ways than just the food ;)

dw May 10, 2022 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 34238266)
The pessimist in me says we will not get comped E+ hot meals under the current leadership. Soft product is clearly not a priority,

I still have fond memories when UA first introduced E+ hot meals; in more ways than just the food ;)

Does anyone know what DL is currently offering on JFK-LAX/SFO? AA brought back cold snacks (sandwich/wrap, fruit and cheese plate or hummus plate) for all of Y a few months back. I know DL offered something similar before the pandemic, not sure if it’s been restored yet.

Certainly UA only offered complimentary food in E+ back then but it was hot, so I suppose they could argue they were both better and worse than the competition depending on coach section.

IAH-OIL-TRASH May 10, 2022 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by dw (Post 34238689)
Does anyone know what DL is currently offering on JFK-LAX/SFO?...

A better answer, based on very recent experiences, might be had at DL forum. You don't trust them? :)

dw May 10, 2022 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 34238707)
A better answer, based on very recent experiences, might be had at DL forum. You don't trust them? :)

Post was intentionally placed here as a means to compare UA’s current Y offerings on these transcon routes against the competition (I just don’t have the full current picture of what that is)… to allow speculation on whether UA may upgrade what is currently being offered in light of what DL and AA are offering

Repooc17 May 10, 2022 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by dw (Post 34238783)
Post was intentionally placed here as a means to compare UA’s current Y offerings on these transcon routes against the competition (I just don’t have the full current picture of what that is)… to allow speculation on whether UA may upgrade what is currently being offered in light of what DL and AA are offering

UA: nothing
DL: nothing
AA: cold food (e.g. bagel/sandwich)

Edit: AA offers free food to the entire main cabin; not just MCE (UA's E+ name scheme)

CappuccinoAddict May 10, 2022 6:19 pm

What is the service like on redeye SFO-EWR flights in Business? I will almost certainly want to just sleep, but out of curiosity, is there a drink/snack service after takeoff? If so is it just a basket or is there a plated snack? Thanks!

dw May 10, 2022 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 34238903)
UA: nothing
DL: nothing
AA: cold food (e.g. bagel/sandwich)

Edit: AA offers free food to the entire main cabin; not just MCE (UA's E+ name scheme)

So it sounds like unless DL brings service back in Y (I recall there was a brief period where they also had enhanced offerings in Comfort+, above the complimentary fresh food snack in Y, but it wasn’t a hot meal), we’re unlikely to see UA restore anything in E+

VWang1111 May 10, 2022 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict (Post 34239173)
What is the service like on redeye SFO-EWR flights in Business? I will almost certainly want to just sleep, but out of curiosity, is there a drink/snack service after takeoff? If so is it just a basket or is there a plated snack? Thanks!

It's a full meal. You can check the Let's Eat Thread for more details/examples. Here's one I posted on the dinner flight in reverse but it's the same on the redeye going out albeit with different but similar entree choices.

UAFAM May 10, 2022 7:32 pm

I miss that 8 pm EWR-SFO flight that UA stopped operating from this month :(

econ May 10, 2022 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by UAFAM (Post 34239317)
I miss that 8 pm EWR-SFO flight that UA stopped operating from this month :(

I’m still seeing an 8-8:30 pm departure on various dates this month and next. Maybe it’s not operating every day?

UAFAM May 10, 2022 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by econ (Post 34239350)
I’m still seeing an 8-8:30 pm departure on various dates this month and next. Maybe it’s not operating every day?

You are correct, It seems like from May 13 it’s back on the schedule.

CappuccinoAddict May 11, 2022 8:04 am

Originally Posted by VWang1111 (Post 34239303)
It's a full meal. You can check the Let's Eat Thread for more details/examples. Here's one I posted on the dinner flight in reverse but it's the same on the redeye going out albeit with different but similar entree choices.

Wow, even on the 11:50pm flight?

DELee May 11, 2022 9:02 am

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict (Post 34240657)
Wow, even on the 11:50pm flight?

Yes.

David