FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1719061-premium-transcon-service-sfo-lax-ewr-flights-questions-experiences.html)

DELee Jan 16, 2023 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 34931954)
Hope UA can expedite the 746 Polaris configuration.

I look forward to flying that configuration of the 747!

David

cesco.g Jan 16, 2023 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 34931778)
752 (757-200) deployment has been normal on this route, and would not be considered as changes. Pick any date, and you will see them, especially the first flight of the day, last flight of the day, and mid-day flight, basically time of the day with smaller traffic.

772 domestic configuration (2-4-2), yes, that would be a change.

This will pretty much eliminate Premium Economy then ... ?? .....

UA_Flyer Jan 17, 2023 10:22 am

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 34932024)
I look forward to flying that configuration of the 747!

David

:o typo… should be 764

ucdtim17 Jan 17, 2023 11:51 am

So is it likely the post-May 5 schedule will be updated with more PE options, or are those planes committed elsewhere, and what you see is what you get with the late spring/summer schedule?

Or no one here has any idea

Infinite1K Jan 18, 2023 9:34 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 34932105)
This will pretty much eliminate Premium Economy then ... ?? .....

No PE. And the E+/E- seats would have not seat back video with the non ER variant of the 777 HDs.

as219 Jan 18, 2023 11:01 am

If it's true that the 77Ws/781s/788s/789s currently used on these routes are going to be replaced with 772s and 752s, it will be quite interesting to see what happens. I failed upgrades 90% of the time last year, and so far it's not looking any better. Obviously there's demand for paid J no matter what the cost...but will that remain if non-Polarized planes are used?

Infinite1K Jan 18, 2023 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by as219 (Post 34936292)
If it's true that the 77Ws/781s/788s/789s currently used on these routes are going to be replaced with 772s and 752s, it will be quite interesting to see what happens. I failed upgrades 90% of the time last year, and so far it's not looking any better. Obviously there's demand for paid J no matter what the cost...but will that remain if non-Polarized planes are used?

Not to mention that people that have been paying for business and gotten used to the true Polaris seating (1-2-1) during the COVID years. Add in the inferior food and beverage situation with United and it could have interesting results.

physioprof Jan 19, 2023 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Infinite1K (Post 34936539)
Not to mention that people that have been paying for business and gotten used to the true Polaris seating (1-2-1) during the COVID years. Add in the inferior food and beverage situation with United and it could have interesting results.

I travel round trip from NYC to Orange County, CA, many times per year. Despite the much longer car ride to and from LAX, I have been flying EWR-LAX specifically to enjoy the Polaris seats on widebodies instead of 737-700. If they mostly evaporate, my calculus may shift a bit, as the 757 lie-flat isn't as much better than the 737-700 than the Polaris seat... The other factor in my decision tree I should point out is that Javi's restaurant at SNA is gone & getting their burritos to eat on the plane & drinking a cocktail while waiting for it to be prepared was an SNA attractor for me...

Kacee Jan 19, 2023 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof (Post 34939544)
I travel round trip from NYC to Orange County, CA, many times per year. Despite the much longer car ride to and from LAX, I have been flying EWR-LAX specifically to enjoy the Polaris seats on widebodies instead of 737-700. If they mostly evaporate, my calculus may shift a bit, as the 757 lie-flat isn't as much better than the 737-700 than the Polaris seat... The other factor in my decision tree I should point out is that Javi's restaurant at SNA is gone & getting their burritos to eat on the plane & drinking a cocktail while waiting for it to be prepared was an SNA attractor for me...

Why not AA SNA-JFK on the 321T?

gold23 Jan 19, 2023 12:35 pm

I don't know if this has any impact (probably doesn't), and it's also third party hearsay...... But I have two college friends who work in tech in SF. Not in same company, but aligned. Anyway, one of them hadn't seen the inside of a terminal at SFO in years and the other somewhat inconsistently. Their companies simply flew their own planes or chartered them where needed. That has absolutely cratered in the past year+, as in-person needs have shifted dramatically along with budgets. Again, I don't know if this phenomenoon is large enough to have any impact on the market, but when their companies travel now they're simply booked as rev passengers up front. An $11k J ticket for a 3 day trip to London would be nothing.

Infinite1K Jan 19, 2023 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by gold23 (Post 34939632)
I don't know if this has any impact (probably doesn't), and it's also third party hearsay...... But I have two college friends who work in tech in SF. Not in same company, but aligned. Anyway, one of them hadn't seen the inside of a terminal at SFO in years and the other somewhat inconsistently. Their companies simply flew their own planes or chartered them where needed. That has absolutely cratered in the past year+, as in-person needs have shifted dramatically along with budgets. Again, I don't know if this phenomenoon is large enough to have any impact on the market, but when their companies travel now they're simply booked as rev passengers up front. An $11k J ticket for a 3 day trip to London would be nothing.

Interesting data point about flying to London, but this thread is about the EWR-LAX/SFO routes specifically. Also while quite a few companies will spring for business class for 10+ hour route to London, they are not going to do that for a "domestic" trip.

Infinite1K Jan 20, 2023 4:55 am

I got a notification in the United app about pre ordering meals and beverages for an upcoming “p.s.” flight in J. However no reference was made to where you could pre order and I don’t see any options when looking at my reservation. Anyone else experience this?

physioprof Jan 21, 2023 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 34939613)
Why not AA SNA-JFK on the 321T?

(1) We greatly prefer EWR to JFK. Whether this is a rational preference is definitely a valid inquiry...

(2) We have loyalty to UA & choose to keep trying to make GS status. Whether this is a rational preference is definitely a valid inquiry...

emcampbe Jan 26, 2023 5:12 pm

We’re booked in Premium plus on a EWR-SFO in a few weeks. Hard to believe but it’s been years since I’ve flown this route.

Can anyone who’s flown in PP recently share what to expect on the flight. I assume there will be dinner options (early afternoon departure) - anyone know if there is typically a veg option offered? And if these meals are closer to economy (on TATL/TPAC, since obviously most domestic don’t offer that) or closer to the biz offering. Just trying to gage what to expect.

might actually book another flight on this route in Y soon. Is there any distinction in Y on these premium transcon services compared to regular domestic service, other than the improved aircraft compared to say, 737s?

Repooc17 Jan 26, 2023 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 34960609)
We’re booked in Premium plus on a EWR-SFO in a few weeks. Hard to believe but it’s been years since I’ve flown this route.

Can anyone who’s flown in PP recently share what to expect on the flight. I assume there will be dinner options (early afternoon departure) - anyone know if there is typically a veg option offered? And if these meals are closer to economy (on TATL/TPAC, since obviously most domestic don’t offer that) or closer to the biz offering. Just trying to gage what to expect.

might actually book another flight on this route in Y soon. Is there any distinction in Y on these premium transcon services compared to regular domestic service, other than the improved aircraft compared to say, 737s?

Same as the meal up front, which isn't great. the menu hasn't changed in years, so it will be the same selection as what you had previously.

Don't expect much.