Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New (uncertain) tweaks being tested for boarding process

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

United is experimenting with changes to the boarding process again. The move was announced today during the earnings call and the testing will happen at ORD gate B8 starting next week.

The gate has been configured a bit differently from the default for a while now but last time I was there (late September) the process was "normal" even with the different gate area layout.

Link goes to my blog; FT rules say I have to tell you that.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Interesting.

I don't think they can "fix" the process without moving credit card holders down in priority. Anything else is just shuffling deck chairs.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: A3 *G; AA EXP
Boarding process

So apparently the test will start sometime next week and will run between 8 am and 5 pm on weekdays. Maybe someone can scoop it out?
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Interesting.

I don't think they can "fix" the process without moving credit card holders down in priority. Anything else is just shuffling deck chairs.
Meh...there are always going to be people in groups. That's part of the problem so long as you're in a different group. But moving people to another group just shifts the problem.

Enforcing the rules (for real, even - or especially - with elites) would be a massive improvement but the company doesn't have stomach for that.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:41 pm

it looks like the chutes have digital signs on them. so during the boarding process maybe some of the chutes change numbers? not sure what the options will be
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sbm12
Meh...there are always going to be people in groups. That's part of the problem so long as you're in a different group. But moving people to another group just shifts the problem.

Enforcing the rules (for real, even - or especially - with elites) would be a massive improvement but the company doesn't have stomach for that.
I guess it depends on what you think the problem is. For me, it's that G1 and G2 are too large at (a) hubs and (b) the airports where they mix the two lanes.

The human behavior problem is harder to deal with. Southwest has handled that better than anyone.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quantumslip
it looks like the chutes have digital signs on them.
Nope. Just a back-lighted acrylic display.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
I'll I've ever seen at ORD is backlit acrylic displays per sbm12.

Per other comments I will echo that I don't see how fewer boarding groups will reduce the issue, unless credit card holders are put after elites. Even then, depending on the route and time, the elite groups can have a far longer line than the other groups
Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by quantumslip
it looks like the chutes have digital signs on them. so during the boarding process maybe some of the chutes change numbers? not sure what the options will be
Unless they get rid of those chutes I"m not interested in hearing about any change. They always cause people to line up way too soon and because of that having seating in the boarding area is almost pointless. Don't get me started on how early I have to leave the club so that I can still get overhead space in a small F class cabin.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:34 pm

Are there still five lanes at B8? I would assume it's still five, but one can't be too certain as the picture only shows four.

And I agree with the chutes needing to go away. If people would just stay seated until their group is called it would make the whole boarding area less chaotic, especially when there are only two lanes. UA needs to add more seats instead of expanding the size of the boarding lanes.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FLYDCA
Unless they get rid of those chutes I"m not interested in hearing about any change. They always cause people to line up way too soon
But people were lining up early before the lanes were installed.

Originally Posted by altbg
Are there still five lanes at B8? I would assume it's still five, but one can't be too certain as the picture only shows four.
There are 5.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Great way to start would be not to group First/Biz, 1K, Plat et al all into group 1, which is routinely the longest line
Old Oct 22, 2015, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by altbg
If people would just stay seated until their group is called it would make the whole boarding area less chaotic, especially when there are only two lanes.
That's a complaint about the human behavior problem, not the UA process.

If you take away the lanes, people just crowd the boarding area in an unorganized mass. That's how the term "gate lice" came to be coined.

I don't mind the lanes. If you want a place at the front of the line, get there early. I do mind lines that are 90 pax long and create a free-for-all because people can't tell where they're supposed to stand.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's a complaint about the human behavior problem, not the UA process.

If you take away the lanes, people just crowd the boarding area in an unorganized mass. That's how the term "gate lice" came to be coined.

I don't mind the lanes. If you want a place at the front of the line, get there early. I do mind lines that are 90 pax long and create a free-for-all because people can't tell where they're supposed to stand.
I agree, UA can't fix our human behavior. But they also don't have to cater to it either. Making the lanes wider and taking even more seats away isn't helping.

All it takes is a vigilant GA to tell people to stay seated, keep the area clear, etc. And if people don't comply, put them in their place. But nowadays everyone is too afraid to say anything.

The biggest problem are the gates with only two lanes, those really can be a zoo when they are trying to board a full 739. I am noticing a lot more two-lane gates at SFO and SAN these days and I am pretty sure they used to be set up with five lanes.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
I disagree with the comments that moving people to different groups wont solve the problem. Since G1 is often the largest group and causes crowding along with G2, some levels need to be moved in to G3-5 to even it out a little. And maybe they will go back to boarding F class first?

And SAN has never had 5 lanes in brand new terminal 2, there just isnt enough room for them the way the gates were constructed. Its always been G1/2 and then G3/4/5 in the other lane. My issue is the G2 folks who fill up the chutes and pretend to not pay attention to the folks trying to pass them during G1 boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.