FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Everything You Wanted To Know About Where To Sit On An EMB175 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1717112-everything-you-wanted-know-about-where-sit-emb175.html)

sface Dec 21, 2014 7:32 am

Everything You Wanted To Know About Where To Sit On An EMB175

Bulkhead seats in First?

How are the bulkhead seats on the EMB 175's? Glimpses of the seats on YouTube videos suggest it's fine, with standard legroom (and no one reclining into you), but SeatGuru flashes yellow for restricted legroom. Meanwhile, seat maps for AA and Delta EMB 175's give it a thumbs-up for leg room. Anyone who can share their experience?

Air Houston Dec 22, 2014 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by sface (Post 24031809)
Bulkhead seats in First?

How are the bulkhead seats on the EMB 175's? Glimpses of the seats on YouTube videos suggest it's fine, with standard legroom (and no one reclining into you), but SeatGuru flashes yellow for restricted legroom. Meanwhile, seat maps for AA and Delta EMB 175's give it a thumbs-up for leg room. Anyone who can share their experience?

The bulkhead seats are good seats on the E175. Definitely my preferred economy seat choice and a decent choice in First, although not the ridiculous legroom as in the old configuration CRJ-700s.

sface Dec 23, 2014 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Air Houston (Post 24040212)
The bulkhead seats are good seats on the E175. Definitely my preferred economy seat choice and a decent choice in First, although not the ridiculous legroom as in the old configuration CRJ-700s.

Thanks. How about the bulkhead in First -- row 1?

Air Houston Dec 23, 2014 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by sface (Post 24041375)
Thanks. How about the bulkhead in First -- row 1?

As I said in the second part of my comment, the bulkhead is a decent choice in First. It does not have as much legroom as the old configuration CR-700s have in F though. If I don't have the dog with me I will usually pick 1A, so it is not a bad seat, just not so much superior to other F seats that it makes a huge difference.

neuro0 Jun 22, 2015 3:21 pm

Does Row1 has good legroom on both the A and C, D side? Or should I choose row instead. In general, I try to avoid row 1 if I cannot stretch my legs.

Duke777 Jun 22, 2015 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by neuro0 (Post 25010927)
Does Row1 has good legroom on both the A and C, D side? Or should I choose row instead. In general, I try to avoid row 1 if I cannot stretch my legs.

Was just in 1D. It had plenty of legroom, although you're probably unable to fully extend your legs. I was able to get by my seat mate without much problem.

CMK10 Jul 6, 2015 5:50 pm

Flew on my first one of these last week from RDU-IAD. It's certainly better than the CR7 we usually see on that route, even if it has the awful Slimline seats. The bulkhead in row 7 is a great seat as there's unlimited legroom, plus the large windows are a treat.

The flight crew seemed very excited for the new aircraft as they made several announcements about it including one about how F had inseat power which I thought was rather odd to make to the whole plane.

CMK10 Sep 22, 2015 6:19 am

Flew one last weekend from RDU-IAH in First. It's a very nice cabin and quite pleasant even on this longer route. I will say though that the little beverage table in the armrest on the single seat side is really unstable and you need to be careful about knocking your drink off.

https://cmk10.smugmug.com/Travel/Tex...IMG_1463-L.jpg

Kacee Oct 15, 2015 11:27 pm

Everything You Wanted To Know About Where To Sit On An EMB175

There does not appear to be a "where to sit thread" on the ERJ-175 yet.

I'm flying one Saturday. In 1A right now. Yea or nay?

WineCountryUA Oct 15, 2015 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 25572175)
There does not appear to be a "where to sit thread" on the ERJ-175 yet....

There is some seating stuff in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ess-fleet.html but agree a clean thread is a good idea. Thanks for starting.

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 25572175)
.... I'm flying one Saturday. In 1A right now. Yea or nay?

That's what I have chosen but it does feel a bit isolated (good in my opinion) and you kind of feel like you are sitting in the galley.

Kacee Oct 16, 2015 12:25 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 25572209)
That's what I have chosen but it does feel a bit isolated (good in my opinion) and you kind of feel like you are sitting in the galley.

Thanks! 4A is also open, contemplating checking that out so I can report back.

IceTrojan Oct 16, 2015 2:04 am

1A - Isolated, no seat in front of you for sense of open space = better for working, watching content. No underseat storage.

4A - Distance between you and row behind is greater, so less likely to feel bumps on seatback = better for sleeping. Underseat storage.

physioprof Oct 16, 2015 3:39 pm

1A is my favorite!

QBK Oct 16, 2015 3:47 pm

I was in 1A on my last E175 flight, and I found the legroom suboptimal. It's okay, but there was no possibility of straightening my legs (I'm 6'1", FWIW). It's not like 1A on the CR7 or (iirc) the E170.

In the future, I'll probably take 2A. I've had two equipment swaps so far (one from a 170 to a 175, one the other way), and I figure that in case of a downgauge, Rows 3-4 get downgraded.

WineCountryUA Oct 16, 2015 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by QBK (Post 25575640)
....I figure that in case of a downgauge, Rows 3-4 get downgraded.

That shouldn't happen -- paid first should have priority and then status of upgraders. Should be like any other swap with small F cabin. Of course consistency in execution is at times a problem.

bluedemon211 Oct 16, 2015 8:48 pm

I really prefer 2A. Good access to overheads on opposite side and under seat storage.

JVPhoto Oct 16, 2015 9:25 pm

I'm in 2A in two weeks. I more or dislike any row 1 for a variety of physical and mental reasons depending on plane.

bmwe92fan Oct 17, 2015 6:42 am

Originally Posted by bluedemon211 (Post 25576447)
I really prefer 2A. Good access to overheads on opposite side and under seat storage.

+1 - another vote for 2A - plus in winter it's warmer - a plus for those who live up north like I do where in 1A you often can't feel your legs after boarding...

JBord Oct 17, 2015 8:25 am

I've flown the 175 fairly often since it was introduced. I prefer any of the A seats, with 1A being lowest on the list. I like under seat storage though. But they're all good seats. The 175 has been a welcome addition IMO.

physioprof Oct 17, 2015 11:55 am

Originally Posted by QBK (Post 25575640)
I was in 1A on my last E175 flight, and I found the legroom suboptimal. It's okay, but there was no possibility of straightening my legs (I'm 6'1", FWIW). It's not like 1A on the CR7 or (iirc) the E170.

In the future, I'll probably take 2A. I've had two equipment swaps so far (one from a 170 to a 175, one the other way), and I figure that in case of a downgauge, Rows 3-4 get downgraded.

I'm pretty short at 5'8", so leg room in the first row of any plane is never an issue for me. I should probably have qualified my opinion with this information.

Kevin Adams Oct 17, 2015 12:49 pm

2A in first.

I haven't found a favorite E+ seat yet. I was 7D last week and it was pretty nice.

Will Dearborn Oct 17, 2015 2:33 pm

2 or 3A in First.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of these jets in the lineup.

Kacee Oct 17, 2015 4:12 pm

Just completed first flight on this aircraft and it's pretty nice. I would take the single F seat over any F seat on a 739. 1A has more space to the bulkhead than the 739 (but no cutout for the feet, so can see why anyone tall might not like it). My full size fully packed Kirkland rollaboard just fit in the overhead. I did like how quickly they can turn this aircraft and how quickly it boards.

There was PDE but it was kind of buggy.

QBK Oct 17, 2015 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin Adams (Post 25578655)
I haven't found a favorite E+ seat yet. I was 7D last week and it was pretty nice.

IIRC, from the one time I've been in Y on an E175, Row 7 (or at least 7C/7D) have terrific legroom. Better than F.

mackenzie77 Oct 18, 2015 12:18 am

Surprised how cold I was in 1A. Didn't like not being able to stretch out either. Based on other's comments, may home in on 2A or 4A in the future.

physioprof Oct 18, 2015 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by mackenzie77 (Post 25580515)
Surprised how cold I was in 1A. Didn't like not being able to stretch out either. Based on other's comments, may home in on 2A or 4A in the future.

It does get cold in the front of these little jets, and tends to be a sauna in the back. I am always too hot on planes, so I love it!

mezzowithcorigis Oct 18, 2015 3:21 pm

I've flown twice in 2D and it was OK. I have 2A this Saturday and looking forward to it. Wondering about the main cabin. Typically if I'm in E+ it's because I have a pet with me, and therefore can't sit in a bulkhead or exit row, so I would typically choose the first non-bulkhead row of E+
I think that's row 8 on this plane. Any experiences there?

JVPhoto Oct 18, 2015 4:21 pm

Will a NORMAL (as in fits fine in the sizer) roller fit in the bins?

Will Dearborn Oct 18, 2015 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto (Post 25582910)

I had no problem with mine in First.

I used the under-seat storage when in E+ so cannot comment.

Kacee Oct 18, 2015 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto (Post 25582910)

Yes, just barely. Note that at least in F, there's a full size bin only on the 2 seat side of the aisle, and that fills up pretty fast. This is an aircraft where boarding in the first half of G1 actually matters.

EmailKid Oct 18, 2015 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 25579369)
There was PDE but it was kind of buggy.

I do not think I have been on one that had it, and IIRC only one with WiFi - and been on quite a few of these now.

Kacee Oct 18, 2015 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 25583298)
I do not think I have been on one that had it, and IIRC only one with WiFi - and been on quite a few of these now.

This was aircraft N127SY.

JVPhoto Oct 28, 2015 9:34 am

2A was fine.
PDE was dodgy. Would play audio for GoT but not video. Started watching Anchorman II which was fine but then when I stopped it to take a photo out the window I could never get it to start working again.
8:40am departure snack basket.
Bins on the A side are smaller for purses and things like that. Normal size roller fits fine across the aisle. Didn't look back and see if in Y the bins on both sides were "big".

lazytom Oct 28, 2015 10:49 am

In E+, row 7 has tons of legroom. I tend to avoid 7A/B due to the limited underseat storage (having the single F seat just in front). Also in 7B you're almost sitting in the aisle ...
7C/D are great seats with tons of underseat storage. Also, I notice that these two seats seem to be blocked until T-24 and when I check in at or just after T-24, they seem to almost always be available ...

nomad420 Oct 28, 2015 11:40 am

Originally Posted by lazytom (Post 25628214)
In E+, row 7 has tons of legroom. I tend to avoid 7A/B due to the limited underseat storage (having the single F seat just in front). Also in 7B you're almost sitting in the aisle ...
7C/D are great seats with tons of underseat storage. Also, I notice that these two seats seem to be blocked until T-24 and when I check in at or just after T-24, they seem to almost always be available ...

Got "upgraded" from 7C to 4C, it was no upgrade. First and only time on a 175 so didn't know config very well. 4C is weird in that it sticks out into the division (curtain) between E and F class so passengers and FA's always tend to run into it when passing. I would not take 4C again even on a CPU.

phltraveler Oct 28, 2015 1:17 pm

I've been in 3C and 3D, no complaints about either seat. I've received the seats as CPU so I have not had the opportunity to sit on the single side of the plane or further up (as those seats were previously assigned to other customers).

Originally Posted by JVPhoto (Post 25627802)
2A was fine.
PDE was dodgy. Would play audio for GoT but not video. Started watching Anchorman II which was fine but then when I stopped it to take a photo out the window I could never get it to start working again.
8:40am departure snack basket.
Bins on the A side are smaller for purses and things like that. Normal size roller fits fine across the aisle. Didn't look back and see if in Y the bins on both sides were "big".

Y has normal overheads. I missed the upgrade on an ORD->BOI trip a couple weeks back :( I didn't find a seat in Y that was particularly better than others (although I didn't get to sit in 7C/7D which others say is great).

Seconded on PDE. Video kept stalling. Gogo manages the entertainment for these flights, so hitting entertainment in the United app takes you to a specific site in your browser... then you pick the movie/TV show... hit play... and the video opens up in the United app? It kept stalling, and, on several occasions, would not play until it was stopped, went back to the browser, hit play on the movie again, but it didn't remember the spot where it was stopped - so I had to seek to the position where I last was manually :mad:

haddon90 Oct 28, 2015 1:53 pm

+1 on row 7. it's insane how much legroom there is. i sat in 7A and 7B did not have anything under the seat in front when i boarded so needless to say, i had a lot of legroom and a lot of room for my bag.

mezzowithcorigis Oct 28, 2015 9:56 pm

Just got in from a trip with 3 out of 4 segments on E175s. First was in 2A on a brand new plane. Had no issues with PDE, went in and out of the movie about event 15-20 minutes and never had any stalling or hiccups. It was a pleasant flight. Only detractors were not being offered a PDB (Mesa) and a doozy of a rough descent into IAH, but that was the fault of TS Patricia.
My return this AM had both segments on the E175. Both times I was in 4D - did a SDC last night and I got the seat I got. I've been in 2D a couple of times, and 4D was the same experience. I really do think I prefer this plane to B73x and A3xx
Oh, and my 22" roller fit fine in the bin over 3CD. The bin over 4CD is deep front to back, but narrow side to side. It held my laptop bag just fine.

EmailKid Oct 28, 2015 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420 (Post 25628487)
Got "upgraded" from 7C to 4C, it was no upgrade.

If you didn't like that, don't do 7B. EVERYONE bashes into you during boarding :( :td:

Originally Posted by haddon90 (Post 25629160)
+1 on row 7. it's insane how much legroom there is. i sat in 7A and 7B

ALWAYS dodging pax with large bags in 7B.

They are looking at row numbers while their bags are looking to do damage to person in 7B :mad:

CMK10 Dec 15, 2015 11:01 am

I flew my third one yesterday from RDU-IAD. So far I've sat in 4A, 7F and 8A.

Any A seat in F is going to be great obviously, you might like the bulkhead due to the no recline factor but then you have to deal with getting your bag down later. For coach, the bulkhead is my favorite as there's just a certain so you get unlimited legroom. However, the E+ seats are pretty good too, they feel roomier than similar seats on the CRJ-700.