Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to Add New Embraer E-175 (76-Seat) Aircraft to United Express Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

Just received this from UA.. Interesting timing- appears to be replacing some of the CRJs/ERJs (a.k.a. 50 seaters)

CHICAGO, April 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced an agreement to add 30 Embraer 175 regional jets to the United Express fleet. Under an agreement with Embraer, United will purchase the aircraft with deliveries in 2014 and 2015. These aircraft will be operated by a United Express partner to be announced later.

"At United, we are focused on modernizing our fleet, and we look forward to introducing the E175 to our United Express service. Compared to the 50-seat aircraft we are replacing, these aircraft provide a superior customer experience and are more fuel efficient," said Jim Compton, United's vice chairman and chief revenue officer. "With a large first class cabin, wider fuselage, and larger overhead bins, this aircraft brings an improved regional flying experience to our customers."

The Embraer 175 is the first 76-seat regional jet aircraft in the United Express fleet. The aircraft will be configured with 12 United First, 16 Economy Plus and 48 United Economy seats. The design of the aircraft will result in more personal space for customers with wider seats and aisles than those on the 50-seat aircraft. The aircraft can accommodate standard carry-on bags, resulting in more convenience for customers.

As United inducts the new aircraft into the United Express fleet, the company will remove some of the older 50-seat regional jets in the fleet. The E175s will consume 10 percent less fuel per seat and will have less CO2 emissions per seat than the 50-seat aircraft they replace.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
As long as these truly replace the crap 50 seaters, and not mainline on like routes, tough not to give this a ^
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
Great news, if I have to fly on a regional jet (and I usually do) the E-175 is my favorite.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
This is great. Love the 12F seats. More than the A319!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
12 of 76 seats are F? Hard not to love that!!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
So United is actually purchasing the planes and will then subcontract a UX carrier to operate. That's not normal procedure for Express aircraft, right? Usually the operating carrier purchases and assumes responsibility for the aircraft and United pays them to do the flying.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
if this will start to replace the throng of E145's out of EWR-A, that would make me a very happy camper.

curious though, is the E175 that much bigger than the E170? it's interesting how it doubles the number of F seats than UAX's current E70, considering the number of E+ seats are the same.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:36 pm

Oh thank goodness ...

^^^
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I am surprised to see that UA has not indicated with UX carrier will fly the new aircraft. I would think that with Shuttle America already flying the 170s, they would also take the 175s.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I am surprised to see that UA has not indicated with UX carrier will fly the new aircraft. I would think that with Shuttle America already flying the 170s, they would also take the 175s.
If they do anything to get rid of the SkyWest CR200's it would be a HUGE improvement.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
if this will start to replace the throng of E145's out of EWR-A, that would make me a very happy camper.
+1, big upgrade
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
So United is actually purchasing the planes and will then subcontract a UX carrier to operate. That's not normal procedure for Express aircraft, right? Usually the operating carrier purchases and assumes responsibility for the aircraft and United pays them to do the flying.
I believe CO did this in the past with some aircraft. Q400s maybe?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:44 pm

From the article, it looks like it could replace the E145 or CRJ200s or both. After looking over the UX fleet, it also looks like that 30 is too small.

Atleast it's a start...
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Awesome news. ^ I hope these will first deploy on the routes that are saddled with CRJs but are not markets so small that they'd be jeopardized by upgauging. LAX-SEA comes to mind as a prime candidate.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:51 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Great news! ^ I certainly will welcome this on IAH-PIT and PIT-DEN replacing the pesky E145s.

Now about the UAX F soft product....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.