Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

OGG --> ORD 777 takeoff from 7000ft runway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OGG --> ORD 777 takeoff from 7000ft runway

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I mean, they definitely have enough fuel for takeoff. Worst case you'll have a fuel stop somewhere over the mainland
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by manda99
I was on the same flight with you yesterday and it, honestly, freaked me out a little. When they came back on and said, "k, wind's back, we're going now!", my first thought was... ummmm, what if the wind disappears again while we're rolling down the runway??

I think I'm going to stick with the stopping in SFO from now on. I don't need to worry about whether or not my plane has enough runway to take off!
The issue is never whether the airplane is actually going to get off the ground at OGG... performance data taking into account winds, ambient temperature, pressure, etc. dictate a maximum weight at which the airplane can be dispatched at OGG, and its 6995ft runway, to take off within accepted safety margins. This is regardless of destination. The optimal mix of pax, bags and fuel for the flight is determined by the crew and dispatcher, and the flight will go.

The question is whether the amount of fuel on board (when the airplane leaves OGG) is going to be enough to get all the way to ORD with required reserves. In marginal cases, a flight plan will be filed first to a mainland airport, say SFO, and after a few hours of flight, the crew and dispatcher will look at all the factors to decide whether they can continue safely to ORD. If actual fuel burn, winds or enroute weather turn out better than forecast, the flight plan will be refiled direct to ORD. If not, then it's a gas-and-go at SFO.

Several years ago, UA flew ORD-OGG-KOA-ORD as a circle trip partially because of performance limitations on the OGG-ORD leg. UA uses some very sophisticated flight planning software which has made a big difference in the schedule reliability of many routes at the very high end of a given type's range.
LASUA1K, jsloan, Xyzzy and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by EWR764

The question is whether the amount of fuel on board (when the airplane leaves OGG) is going to be enough to get all the way to ORD with required reserves. In marginal cases, a flight plan will be filed first to a mainland airport, say SFO, and after a few hours of flight, the crew and dispatcher will look at all the factors to decide whether they can continue safely to ORD. If actual fuel burn, winds or enroute weather turn out better than forecast, the flight plan will be refiled direct to ORD. If not, then it's a gas-and-go at SFO.
I hadn't realized just how close SFO is on the GC route from OGG to ORD (which I realize is not the actual flight path given winds, etc.)

2 segment path
OGG
SFO 053°(NE) 043°(NE) 2,339 mi
SFO
ORD 070°(E) 056°(NE) 1,847 mi
4,185 mi
OGG
ORD 053°(NE) 043°(NE) 4,185 mi

Starman and SFHokie like this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by luckypierre
Somewhat OT, but made me wonder if there have been any 777 examples like the Dreamlifter at Jabara in Wichita where the aircraft landed at an unintended airport and had to takeoff from a runway technically too short .
Back in 1998 a United DC-10 flight 100 from ORD-BWI was diverted to IAD because of weather, then IAD also had issues and they had to divert to DCA....and its 6,800 foot runway.

I remember reading something that it was too heavy to takeoff safely and all the seats and some other stuff was removed before they tried (successfully) to get it out the next morning.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
CO operated OGG-IAH on the 764 for a few years. Would be interesting to see the comparisons in performance of the a/c on the 772 PW vs. the 764.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Hopefully someone will have the actual numbers, but my understanding is the 764 is a more capable aircraft, hence one of the reasons why the 772A has never operated EWR/IAD-HNL.

Originally Posted by CALMSP
CO operated OGG-IAH on the 764 for a few years. Would be interesting to see the comparisons in performance of the a/c on the 772 PW vs. the 764.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:24 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Biggest International visitors? Canadians arriving on Westjet and AC's 738s.
AC just took delivery of 737-8 MAX, but most of the narrowbody fleet is Airbus A320 family.

Originally Posted by Longboater

The 737 is being pushed to well beyond its intended use. I can hardly imagine what the designers back in the early 1960s would think of the aircraft performing SEA-LIH runs today.
737 NG is third generation of this plane (MAX is fourth), so you are probably technically right, but we should be looking at the design of the NG model.

Originally Posted by CALMSP
CO operated OGG-IAH on the 764 for a few years.
I could be wrong, but I though CO flew 762s to the islands. My IAH-HNL was on a 762, so kind of doubt they would have put 764 on OGG route.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Still minor %. And Alaska will not fly to Hawaii if it has to use anything other than a 737. UA doesn't have this problem out of LAX/SFO.

I wouldn't be concerned about this, there's a lot of safety oversight and planning for runway performance.

Well arguably the Qatar 777 at Miami only using 8500 ft with an intersection departure and taking out the approach lights. May have been doing a derated takeoff thinking they were going to use the full length rather than an absolute limitation of the aircraft.

Southwest put a 737 into KPLK (3700 ft runway) not too long ago (and got it out).
And a few years ago, a BA 777 had a close call at SKB by mistakenly performing an intersection take-off. Fortunately, it was only doing a short, intra-Caribbean flight, so it was light.

British Airways jet in narrow escape after taking off from 'too short' runway | Daily Mail Online
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Back in 1998 a United DC-10 flight 100 from ORD-BWI was diverted to IAD because of weather, then IAD also had issues and they had to divert to DCA....and its 6,800 foot runway.

I remember reading something that it was too heavy to takeoff safely and all the seats and some other stuff was removed before they tried (successfully) to get it out the next morning.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.703c39ab9f3e

"the three-engine plane, carrying a relatively light fuel load, made it easily into the air around 9:45 p.m., and reached BWI shortly afterward, according to an operations officer at National. Carrying no passengers, but with cargo and baggage still on board, it lifted off about half way down the runway, he said.
By 7 p.m. the passengers from United Flight 100 were on buses chartered by the airline and bound for BWI."

Southwest put a 737 into KPLK (3700 ft runway) not too long ago (and got it out).
So, only a few feet shorter than the runways at their main hub, MDW :-p
Old Apr 3, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by ironmanjt

A DC-10(-10) would have no trouble at all getting out of DCA for a ferry (no pax/bags) to IAD, and indeed it did not. LGA has only slightly longer runways at 7000', with similarly unforgiving conditions at either end, and long hosted revenue DC-10/L1011 service to ORD, ATL, MIA and elsewhere within the perimeter.

Originally Posted by EmailKid
I could be wrong, but I though CO flew 762s to the islands. My IAH-HNL was on a 762, so kind of doubt they would have put 764 on OGG route.
CO flew 764s to the Islands; any 762 service would have been an equipment sub. A point of confusion was when CO introduced a high-density configuration with the 764 (20J instead of 35J) and coded it '767' in the various timetables. IAH-OGG was scheduled as a 764 while it lasted. EWR/IAH-HNL were 764s from the retirement of the DC-10s through the merger.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by luckypierre
Somewhat OT, but made me wonder if there have been any 777 examples like the Dreamlifter at Jabara in Wichita where the aircraft landed at an unintended airport and had to takeoff from a runway technically too short .
Not a 777, but some (10-15?) years ago a business jet landed on the wrong (short!) Colorado mountain airport and had to be disassembled to depart via truck.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by EmailKid
...I could be wrong, but I though CO flew 762s to the islands. My IAH-HNL was on a 762, so kind of doubt they would have put 764 on OGG route.
CO used a 764 IAH-OGG. Had the pleasure of riding it many times. Plane was used to open IAH-EZE after deep sixing the Maui route.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by 764toHI
Hopefully someone will have the actual numbers, but my understanding is the 764 is a more capable aircraft, hence one of the reasons why the 772A has never operated EWR/IAD-HNL.
Flown them both, 772A eats 764’s lunch. If anything the 764 is a bit of a runway hog on takeoff. 772A could easily fly East Coast to HNL so performance is not the reason it hasn’t been operated.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Not a 777, but some (10-15?) years ago a business jet landed on the wrong (short!) Colorado mountain airport and had to be disassembled to depart via truck.
My favorite is TACA 110 which lost all power and landed on a levee near MSY in 1988. Originally they were going to remove it by barge but ended up swapping the engines out on-site and the plane took off from a nearby roadway.

That 737 was still in service with WN until last year. Always hoped I'd get a chance to fly on it, but never did.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by cv11nyc
Flown them both, 772A eats 764’s lunch. If anything the 764 is a bit of a runway hog on takeoff. 772A could easily fly East Coast to HNL so performance is not the reason it hasn’t been operated.
HNL doesn't have runway issues like OGG, so presumably it has more to do with optimal deployment and the number of seats UA can sell on that route, with the 777 being better used on other denser routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.